Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error when printing booklet

Sep 05, 2012 Sep 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When trying to print booklet from cs6 InDesign the error reads: The active document uses multiple page sizes. Print booklet works only with documents that use a consistent page size.

I have went into document setup, the icon at the bottom of the pages menu box that allows you to edit page size, even tried changing the master page sizes and applying the master to all pages. None of this is removing the error message when trying to print booklet. If possible please help me.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 21, 2013 Mar 21, 2013

Pleased to inform that this bug should be fixed in the next release.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Sep 06, 2012 Sep 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You must have used the page resize tool to resize a page or pages.

To fix, say in a 32 page booklet:

I'd print pages 1-16 in the booklet

If the error still occurs I'd try printing 1-8

Then 1-4 etc. until I narrow the page number down to what page is causing the error.

It could be that pages 1-16 are fine. So I'd try printing 17-32, then 17-24 etc. until I narrow down the page causing the error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, we had another case of this last week, and both the creator of the file and I confirmed that all pages were in fact the same. The only way I found to fix the file was to go spread by spread and copy the content, then paste in place in a new file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, wouldn't it be great if there were some reasonable alternative to the, um, "idiosyncratic" Print Booklet? 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't use it much, but I've never had a problem with Print Booklet failing in my own work.

I have no way of knowing what happened in the file I saw last week, but my memory is it went through a number of versions and crashes, which can't have helped. I also have a sneaking suspiscion that teh Page tool may be a tad buggy, and if you use it, but don't acutally change a page, or change it back, ID may not see the doc as having all the same size pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And there ARE alternatives to Print Booklet. There are a number of scripts and plugins for ID that will do imposition, and plugins for Acrobat that will impose an exported PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, my point exactly  🙂

http://idimposer.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, didn't recognize your user name. Please disclose that you are the creator of the plugin, though, when you link to it.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Peter Spier your comment #2 is what I actually ended up doing before you replied.

@Everyone Thanks to all your helpful comments

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 23, 2012 Sep 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

menu Layout --> pages --> apply master to pages

doesn't fix the problem ==BUG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 23, 2012 Sep 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Applying a master to a page doesn't insure that the page sizes of the master and document pages are the same.

I don't know what the trigger is for the problem reported here and in the earlier thread, but I'm not yet ready to say categorically it's a bug. That said, if you have a reproducible case where you can describe the steps necessary to make this happen, please do file a bug report at Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2012 Oct 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may be a bit late in coming but I believe I have found the problem. If the documnet creator changes the document dimensions in File--> Document Settings, the print booklet funtion will no longer work and you will get the "can't print because doc has multiple page sizes" error. I was getting the error because I switched orientations from letter-half landscape to letter-half portrait. I too manual checked every possible thing to do with page size, margins, documents, to make sure all pages were the same with no discernible problem.

I tested this by making a new document and adding shapes to it. I ran  print booklet and it exported fine. I then changed the orientation in Document Setup and then print booklet gave me that error; so I'm very certain this is the cause. So long as you don't change your document dimensions after you create it, you're fine. I have unfortunately found no other work around than to copy and paste in to a new and set-correct-from-the-start document.

I have  filed a bug report on it as per Peter Spier's comment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2012 Oct 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you to Zybean for the explanation.  I had this same problem, after reading your comment I remembered that I had initially gotten the height and width swapped round and had to edit it after creating the file.  I'll copy it over to a new file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2013 Jan 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also reported the bug.  In CS6 i was able to change orientation without any problem on a fresh document. 

However, on the original document I had two different sizes of pages and masters. After deleting the one size, I could not use booklet printing no matter what I did, even though I only had a single page sized document left.

Once your file is messed up like this, the only solution i found that works is to create a new doc with the proper size, and cut and paste content into that.

Good Luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 27, 2013 Feb 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm I have this bug, too. All my pages have the same master applied and I have never touched the page size tool...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 21, 2013 Mar 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pleased to inform that this bug should be fixed in the next release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 21, 2013 Mar 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that. I don't suppose there's any hope it will also geet ported back to CS6 in the next service update?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 26, 2013 Jun 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bug should be in the next release?   Does that include an update to CS6?   This needs to be fixed in CS6, not the next release to force everyone to the new version and licensing model.  Again we need this in the next CS 6 Indesign update!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 04, 2013 Sep 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's september 2013 and I still have this bug in the latest release of CS6. Fix it please, Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "next release" means CC. It's not going to get fixed for CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thats nice, thank you Adobe for not fixing bugs in your software!   No reason it can't be fixed in the current release.  As far as I know we aren't moving because of the new licensing model, which the change would cost us 80k.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@cashxxdb,

This is NOT a new policy. When a newer version of InDesign (or other Adobe product) is released, the previous versions are not changed. That's just the way it has always been.

It's also not only unique to Adobe. Most software developers don't fix bugs in older versions unless there are security issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The original post was from a year ago only a few months after release, why wasn't it fixed then??   You can say that now that the new version is released!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@cashxxdb,

I have no idea, but the engineering teams always have more bugs than they have staff to fix them. They have to be prioritized.

Bugs also have to be reproduceable. Maybe it took a while to be able to reproduce the problem, I don't know. I'm just saying that these kinds of issues have always happened with software.

When sagar-khanna posted on March 21, there was no more work being done on CS6, all the engineers were working on the CC release and its bug fixes.

I'm sorry for you that you're unhappy, but the problem won't be fixed in CS6.

You probably don't want to hear this, but this is one of the advantages of a subscription system: You'll always have access to the bug fixes (and new features!) as they're made available because you always have the option of running the latest version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve, you're mixing it all up. Alternate layout was a new feature for CS6, and if that feature messes up the possibility to use "print booklet" it should be fixed in CS6. Period. I can't move on to CC since my clients isn't using it (still on CS6). The smell that reeks from Adobe these days is ... nauseating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines