• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

auto update flash player for standard user without notification

Explorer ,
Sep 05, 2012 Sep 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I hope I don't ask an already answered question, I've searched around without finding precisely what I'm looking for, but if I've missed something please point me in the right direction.

I'd like to know if there is a way for flash player to be automatically updated while a standard user is connected (no admin rights) and without any notifications.

So far I configured  the mms.cfg file (in c:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash for a win7 64bit) with those settings:

AutoUpdateDisable=0

AutoUpdateInterval=0

SilentAutoUpdateEnable=1

SilentAutoUpdateVerboseLogging=1

(the autoUpdateInterval=0 is for testing, I plan to put a 7days delay

I plan to update all our clients with the latest version of flash player via sccm and add this file during the process.

Then I hope that I won't have to push any other updates (until I guess version 11.5 or maybe even 12...)

Will those settings will work as I intended?

As we'll use 32 bits browsers do I need to put this file also in c$\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash ?

If it wont work, is it doable?

thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Sep 05, 2012 Sep 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ersatyle,

Please follow the instructions in the Flash Player administration guide. You may also be interested in using the Flash Player Background Updater for your internal network. You can read more about it in the administration guide, starting at page 19. Let us know if you still have questions.

-Stephen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 06, 2012 Sep 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi, yes I already read the admin guide, and my questions are the one I asked in my first message 😃

will flash player  be automatically updated while a standard user is connected (no admin rights) and without any notifications.

Are those settings will work as I intended?

As we'll use 32 bits browsers do I need to put the mms.cfg file also in c$\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash ?

If it wont work, is it doable?

Those are the things that are still not clear to me.

thanks you    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ersatyle,

Thanks for clarifying.

will flash player  be automatically updated while a standard user is connected (no admin rights) and without any notifications.

By pointing the Background Updater to an internal server, yes.

Are those settings will work as I intended?

The AutoUpdateInterval setting in the mms.cfg has no effect on the Background Updater. AutoUpdateInterval can only be used for the notification updater. If you're setting up background updates from an internal server, this property is best dropped from the mms.cfg to avoid confusion. The other settings will work as expected. Once you have your clients set up and tested, I also recommend dropping SilentAutoUpdateVerboseLogging, since this will reduce the size of the log file.

As we'll use 32 bits browsers do I need to put the mms.cfg file also in c$\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash, If it wont work, is it doable?

There is only one location for the mms.cfg. The same file is used for 32-bit and 64-bit browsers. From the administration guide, page 22:

mms.cfg file location:

Assuming a default Windows installation, Flash Player looks for the mms.cfg file in the following system directories:

•32-bit Windows - %WINDIR%\System32\Macromed\Flash

•64-bit Windows - %WINDIR%\SysWow64\Macromed\Flash

Note: The %WINDIR% location represents the Windows system directory, such as C:\WINDOWS.

I hope this answers your questions. Let us know if there's anything else.

-Stephen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello Stephen, thanks for your answers!

I don't plan to use as internal server but so far those settings seem to work, flash updated from 11.2.202.233 to 11.3.300.271 without interaction nor notification while a standard user was logged on.

So you said that AutoUpdateInterval won't be used during a background update, is there a way to manually trigger the background update check? I've read in the admin guide that it's done every 24 hours by a task, I'd rather not wait to try if it would update to the 11.4.

thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi ersatyle,

Note that these settings will only work for non-quarterly releases, unless you're using an internal server to push your updates. Flash Player 11.4 is a quarterly release. Here is a quote by Chris Campbell:

"with that setting, a quarterly update will:

prompt for update within 7 days (after reboot on Windows)

silently update after 30 days if the user has not accepted the prompt before then

If a security/hotfix release is made before 30 days, the system will update to that within 24 hours."

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4503786

When updates are made available, you can manually trigger an update check by running the scheduled task in the Windows Task Scheduler, or by manually running the Flash Player Background Updater service from the Windows service control manager.

-Stephen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines