10 Replies Latest reply: Jun 5, 2015 2:56 AM by irisv20674833 RSS

InDesign Help | Addition of Hunspell dictionaries in CS6

community help Community Member

This question was posted in response to the following article: http://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/add_cs_dictionaries.html

• 1. Re: InDesign Help | Addition of Hunspell dictionaries in CS6
          garbanzito2

i am using InDesign CS6 from a Creative Cloud subscription

on my machine, the ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Linguistics folder does not contain a "6.0" folder; i can create that folder and its subfolders and the bundle indicated, but there is no Info.plist file to edit, which means i can't complete these instructions; is there another location, or a place where i can download the Info.plist file so i can resolve this problem?

• 2. Re: InDesign Help | Addition of Hunspell dictionaries in CS6
            Peter Spier ACP/MVPs

Wrong Library. The ~ indicates the user library, you want the OS X library.

• 3. Re: InDesign Help | Addition of Hunspell dictionaries in CS6
              garbanzito2 Community Member

thanks, that's clear - machine domain, not user domain; confused myself since Adobe mirrors much structure both places

• 4. Re: InDesign Help | Addition of Hunspell dictionaries in CS6
                mats.leido

OK, this works, but not only is it technically too difficult for many general InDesign users, it is risky also. It would be really great if there was an easier and safer way to add dictionaries - say, exactly like you do it with hyphenation additions to existing dictionaries.

Instead of going into a bundle (at least on MacOS we need to do that) and updating the plist file, why not simply use the add button to add another search path do a dictionary file?

• 5. Re: InDesign Help | Addition of Hunspell dictionaries in CS6
                  AOKachergis

The instructions above make sense, but I don't understand this:

"Add a string element wth value  in Info.plist to the Spelling Service and UserDictionaryService Element and/or HyphenationService element.Depending on the operating system, the file "Info.plist" can be found at different locations:"

1. I don't have a .plist file where the instructions indicate it should be. (I do have an AdobeHunspellPlugin.bundle file(

2. If I had such a file, I believe I should add the string in a text editor program, correct?

3. Exactly what should the string say?

If anyone can help me solve this I would be very grateful! Thank you.

• 6. Re: InDesign Help | Addition of Hunspell dictionaries in CS6
                    garbanzito2 Community Member

Adobe's isntructions assume you have some somewhat advanced technical knowledge:

1) AdobeHunspellPlugin.bundle is an OS X folder that looks like a file; you'll need to right-click and choose "Show Package Contents" to drill down to the plist file mentioned

2) the plist is an XML file; it can be edited with a text editor or an XML editor (e.g. Apple XCode); the string elements in question are part of a group which starts as follows (at least in my info.plist), you can infer the structure of the element to add from the existing elements:

<dict>

<key>HyphenationService</key>

<array>

<string>bn_IN</string>

<string>gu_IN</string>

<string>hi_IN</string>

<string>kn_IN</string>
                    • 7. Re: InDesign Help | Addition of Hunspell dictionaries in CS6
                      erwanhamdani

Please help.

I have already read carefully and do the instruction step by step, but still there is no Indonesian dictionary. I try many-many times but still there is no Indonesia dictionary in preferences dictionary dialog. Can any body try it on their computer and show me that he succeed install Indonesian dictionary. Thanks in advance

• 8. Re: InDesign Help | Addition of Hunspell dictionaries in CS6
                        AOKachergis Community Member

Thank you very much! It's working!

Anne

• 9. Re: InDesign Help | Addition of Hunspell dictionaries in CS6
                          lvgm@mweb.co.za Community Member

I need to add the Afrikaans dictionary. I followed all the steps above and still cannot make it work, please, can you come up with an easier way or post an update for Indesign 6 with all the languages or at least give a choice. I am South African and we have 11 official languages.

Thans

lvg

• 10. Re: InDesign Help | Addition of Hunspell dictionaries in CS6
                            irisv20674833 Community Member

I was also trying to add the afrikaans dictionary to indesign and was unable to do at first. However I followed the steps and eventually got it right. The part I was unsure about was adding the string element. Here's how I did it in layman's terms.

I opened note pad, dragged and dropped the info.plist file into it. It opened displaying some kind of code. Then I scrolled down to the dictionaries list

<key>SpellingService</key>

Then I copied the first thing on the list. In my case it was <string>bn_IN</string> Then I pasted it just above itself and changed it to <string>af_ZA</string> I did the same for the <key>UserDictionaryService</key> list. But skipped the hyphenation list cause I didn't have the hyphenation file.

I tried to save it in the same location as where it is currently stored but notepad wouldn't let me. So I saved it to the desktop. Notepad automatically changed the extension on the file to .txt so I just changed it back to .plist then I copied and pasted it back to the original folder.

And it worked! After that the Afrikaans option showed up in the dictionaries list in indesign.

hope this helps. If you still need help drop a message in here and maybe I can help.