Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to convert index (HHK) to web page?

New Here ,
Sep 08, 2012 Sep 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi folks,

I'm running RoboHelp 9. I have a number of indexes in WebHelp projects that I need to convert into web pages, but I can't find an automated or easy solution. So far, the best option I've come up with is to copy the contents of the HHK file into a TXT file and perform a variety of manual tasks and search-and-replace tasks to convert the entries into straight HTML links, but the process isn't simple. Is anyone aware of a relatively simple export solution or some way to harvest the generated index?

(FWIW, maintaining each index in two places won't be an issue because they're relatively static. Also, it's likely my process above could be automated by way of a PERL script or BAT file with regular expressions, but I'm looking for a ready-made solution before I go down that route.)

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to our community

Unfortunately you haven't been very clear about exactly what you are trying to accomplish. The subject line reads you are wanting to convert the HHK file to a web page. I'm assuming here, you want a single web page? But what purpose will it serve? Where are you planning on using it and how?

Perhaps if we know the answer to those questions we might offer better suggestions.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for any confusion. Try this: Convert a RoboHelp/WebHelp index into HTML. The resulting HTML index should appear and function just like a RH-generated index (i.e., click an entry, view the target page).

Here's an example of a standard A-Z subject index.

Specs:

• convert each entry into a link
  • preserve the parent-child relationships between entries
  • preserve the alphanumeric sort of all entries

More info:

• each index entry has only one target
  • stop words are not used

Unfortunately, the code behind RH's indexes isn't readily conducive to manipulating for uses outside of RoboHelp-generated WebHelp. Hence, my issue.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

edited for clarity

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mmmmkay. Not sure I understand the need, but whatever,

Have you tried configuring the WebHelp single source layout recipe so the preferred format is "Pure HTML"? In that case, you end up with what I understand you are wanting. The index should be a bunch of HTML pages with links pointing to the topics.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. That's a big step in the right direction. I see the index is generated in a series of whlstt#.htm files in !SSL!\WebHelp\whgdata. The link markup's in place and the structure's conistent, so that's definitely something I can work with. (Too bad RH splits the index into multiple HTMs, but fortunately I have already have a bat file that'll merge them into one HTM.)

I'm guessing that's as close as RH will get me, so I'll consider this resolved... unless someone else chimes in.

Cheers, Captiv8r. (BTW, do you have a cape to go with that handle? )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL, long story on that name. I'll try to keep it brief.

Forums used to only allow a single email address to subscribe to messages. My other handle (and email address associated with it) was RoboWizard. Then Adobe purchased macromedia and got Captivate. I needed another email address so I could then subscribe to two different forums. Enter Captiv8r. So now I have a "split personality".

No cape. Just nutshells...

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 09, 2012 Sep 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just a thought,

The index file is an XML so you can use XSL or a script to automatically convert the index into the format you require. But since there is no out of the box solution for this, you will need a custom solution.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp