Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Linking to a file path containing 2 spaces

New Here ,
Nov 29, 2006 Nov 29, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

One of my RH project teams have run into an issue when they need to link to an external file who's network path contains 2 spaces. RH seems to strip out one of the spaces during the build process and thus breaks the link.

eg: file path file://W:/this is a test/New Text Document.txt gets changed to file:///W:/this%2520is%2520a%2520test/New%2520Text%2520Document.txt

Has anyone come across this and is aware of a fix/workaround?

Running Webhelp layout, v X5.0.1 (cannot apply v5.0.2 as we do not have SP2 for XP deployed - yes I know!)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry for the duplicates, I get nothing but timeout errors on this forum!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mark. The timeout errors are an occasional but annoying problem. My experience though is that the posting is made regardless of the error. Work that one out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Mark,

Someone may know of a workaround.

One solution is to push for a standard that doesn't allow spaces in network drives, directory names and file names but_permits_underscores.

The best solution is to store WebHelp on a network drive that has a domain name and to point the link to its Intranet URL. No spaces are permitted.

I saw a truly awesome improvement in response time when the IT folks set this up for my material.

I don't know how much trouble it is to assign a domain name to a drive/server on an Intranet.

In my case, I publish to a network drive using the file system path X://rootdirectory/subdirectory/ ..... etc.

That drive also is a server on the company Intranet, so the browser address is

ht[xxxx]tp://division.company.net/subdirectory(ies).../myhelppackage.htm.
[xxx inserted to block an automatic hyperlink]

There's a significant bonus: Navigating network file paths is increasing subject to security measures like identity/authorization checking by transmission chunk, which significantly slows response to the browser. Using a Web/Intranet path usually requires an identity check only once for a given file, when you first access it.

(I think that's the right explanation. Any experts on htt protocol are welcome to chime in.)

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp