• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can InDesign create a non-square text box?

Engaged ,
Sep 10, 2012 Sep 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to create a text box or text field that is not a square or rectangle. A shape similar to the shape of Utah is what the text box should look like. Since Adobe Acrobat X Pro cannot do this, I have ventured over to CS6. I haven't discovered a way to maniplulate the text tool into this shape. The document will have to covert to PDF or I would use other software. Thanks for your time.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, you can use the pen tool, or the polygon tool, to draw any shape you want, then click into it with the text tool to fill it with text. Since you were trying to do it with Acrobat (????) I suspect that you may not know how to use the pen tool. It's not obvious how to use the Pen tool, especially if you need to draw the shape of the state of Utah. But if you do know how to use the pen tool (experience in Illustrator?) then you can convert most kinds of frames to text frames simply by clicking into them with the text tool - which by itself can only make rectangular frames, as you've already learned.

It might be useful if you told us a little bit more about what you were trying to do; it sounds like you might be new to Adobe apps entirely, so we might be able to offer better guidance if you were to go into more detail. It sounds to me like perhaps you already have a PDF to which you are trying to add a Utah-shaped text field, which is pretty much impossible to do with any application, as PDFs are supposed to be a final target format, and aren't really meant for editing. If you are preparing a new document to export a PDF for a professional printer, then InDesign is by far the best tool for you to be using. On the other hand, if you have no experience with page layout tools, you may find the steep initial learning curve of InDesign to be daunting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Joel for your time creating a response.

I currently have a PDF form that users fill in requested fields with their data. To maximize the amount of space they have to answer the question I'd like to use the line that contains the title of the text box. For example in the case below the title of this text box or field is "3. Describe Your Perfect Vacation:"

3. Describe Your Perfect Vacation:

My destination would include...........

4. What modes of transportation do you use to get to work?

However Adobe Acrobat X Pro will not let me create the text box to start immediately after the word "Vacation:" Instead I have to start on the next line down to create a square or rectangular shape. From my reserach InDesign will allow me to create this, export to PDF and have the same abilities I created in AA X Pro. I could be misinformed though. Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wait -- you want a fillable form take any shape? That's not an InDesign question, it's an Acrobat one after all. And I don't think Acrobat supports non-rectangular text fields.

(The answers assumed you wanted to *design* your text that way. That's something InDesign *can* do.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jongware is correct. PDF only allows rectangular text fields. So that's what you'll have to live with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks glad we clarified the question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 11, 2012 Sep 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The software to create a non-symmetrical text box or expandable text box is LiveCylcle. LiveCycle requires a symmetrical text box when created. However one can indent the first line to achieve a somewhat non-symmetrical area.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 11, 2012 Sep 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Warnings: LifeCycle PDF forms can only be created on Windows computers, and this will probably not change. Currently, they are not readable with Adobe Reader for mobile devices.

InDesign CS6 creates AcroForms which can be created and read on any platform.

I'd stick with AcroForms, despite the rectangular text box limitation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it can. Draw the shape with the pen tool, and then under the Object menu, choose Content>Text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines