Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Still having problem – Flash asks to update

New Here ,
Sep 09, 2012 Sep 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am still having the problem of  Flash constantly asking me to update. I get the flashing yellow security shields on Windows 7 – sometimes two, three, or four flashing shields. If I close the shields or click and respond "no", 10 seconds later there's another shield flashing asking to update. Sometimes whatever I am doing on the computer is interrupted and I get a modal pop-up dialog asking if it's okay to update.

I have posted this problem before, back in June and July, see:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4583350#4583350

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4563117#4563117

I have gone into global settings and set Advanced – never check for updates. This does nothing.

I have confirmed my MMS.CFG file as recommended – this is correct.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled using the Adobe tools.

I have even searched the registry for obvious settings – none are found.

I have had to revert to version 10.3 of Flash because version 11 breaks Dragon Naturally Speaking. This is a well documented problem.

Somewhere there is a mechanism that initiates this "checking for updates". What is this mechanism? How do I remove it? This problem should not be so complicated to fix.

Thanks,

Barry.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I remember your earlier topics.

What Flash Player version do you have installed now?  See http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/find-version-flash-player.html#main_Find_the_Flash_Player_ver...

The latest 10.3 version is 10.3.183.23; you can obtain it from http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/archived-flash-player-versions.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Thanks for your help again.

Before we run through all the same questions have a look at my previous posts. I am sure you'll find all the information that is needed.

Below I have included a screenshot from the Flash Global Settings.

***edit***

It appears the screenshot did not come through.

My version is 10.3.183.11

The option "never check for updates (not recommended)" is selected

The problem is not going to be solved by doing a minor.minor.minor version upgrade. There are obviously serious software problems somewhere.

There must be a mechanism for triggering looking for possible updates. The Global Settings to stop updates is broken, but there must be something that initiates the update check.

I need to get rid of whatever this is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 10, 2012 Sep 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are already 6 versions behind the latest 10.3 version.  If you do not want to test if your issue is fixed in a newer version, at least you should update for the security fixes that are in these new versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I followed the directions from Adobe for a clean uninstall/install

I installed the latest 10.3 version – 10.3.183.23

I immediately opened Global Settings – Advanced and selected "never check for updates (not recommended)".

Makes absolutely no difference. Within 2 min. I had flashing Windows security shields asking to upgrade Flash.

Okay. I have now, again, run around the barn a half-dozen times.

Can this issue be brought to the attention of Adobe? I realize you are a volunteer and I thank you for your help, but the solution to this problem should be very simple – if only someone from Adobe would spend a few minutes researching the problem.

I would gladly just get rid of Flash except that one site I rely on requires it.

There must be a simple way to get rid of whatever program or mechanism triggers Flash to check for updates.

Barry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is one question I have asked, but cannot find your answer in the two previous topics: what is your setting in

http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager05.html ?

One thing we have never looked into: do you have any scheduled tasks in the Task Scheduler?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2012 Sep 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Notified me when update is available is Unchecked.

The only thing in Task Scheduler related to Adobe is:

AdobeAAMUpdater – 1.0… To run once a day at 2 AM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 12, 2012 Sep 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

canalrun wrote:

AdobeAAMUpdater

Do you have any other Adobe software installed that uses Flash Player?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only other Adobe thing is Dreamweaver CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am out of ideas; I hope that Chris or someone else from the Flash Player team can take this up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2012 Sep 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

How do we bring this to the attention of Chris and the Adobe team.

Chris addressed this a little months ago, but then disappeared.

Barry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2012 Sep 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris did post his email address in another thread.  I don't know if this is an appropriate thing to do, but maybe he accepts other questions besides the ones related to what's in that thread.  At least you'll get his attention if you put a link to your three threads in your initial email contact, if you decide to use what he posted in that other thread.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4689029#4689029

Post number 11 is the one you want to look at.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 14, 2012 Sep 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If this is the .cab installer that is prompting to install, then I suspect you have some third party software that is causing this to occur.  Can you post a screenshots of all the dialogs you are seeing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2012 Sep 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have included two images.

The first image shows an example of the blinking Windows Security Shield and what is shown if I hover with the mouse over  the shield. Sometimes there are four or five blinking shields on my Windows Taskbar asking for permission to upgrade Flash .

The bottom image shows the modal dialog that pops up if I left-click on one of the blinking shields. Sometimes this modal dialog just pops up, interrupting whatever I'm doing, disabling everything else on my screen, forcing me to respond before it goes away.

If I respond "No" to this dialogue, it goes away. If I respond "Yes", the Flash installer opens, the latest version of Flash is installed. Since version 11 and greater of Flash is broken and forces Dragon Naturally Speaking to stop working, I have to run the Adobe full un-installer for Flash and reinstall version 10.3. And yes, this conflict with Dragon Naturally Speaking and probably many other applications is well documented on the web – try a Google search.

Flash X.jpg

At the beginning of this latest thread I listed the previous threads from last June and July. Reading the previous threads will provide all the information you could possibly want about this problem.

Barry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 17, 2012 Sep 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens when you click on 'Change when these notifications appear'?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2012 Sep 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See the inserted image below.

These settings are for Windows User Access Control. This is not specific to Flash. If I change these settings it affects how Windows operates for all notifications – including important ones.

The problem is with Flash, not Windows 7.

It would also just modify the action of the previous window "Do You Want to Allow …". It would not solve the problem of the blinking Security Shield asking to update Flash.

Flash XI.jpg

Barry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 20, 2012 Sep 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barry,

Is it possible for you to get the full program location path shown in this second dialog?  I'm trying to understand what file is being executed here.

Flash+X.jpg

Thanks,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2012 Sep 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

http://fpdownload2.macromedia.com/get/schockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab

Added later:

I now have five flashing Security Shields  on my taskbar all asking to update Flash.

Flash XII.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines