Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Search finds topics that are not included in the project

Jul 31, 2008 Jul 31, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a RoboHelp HTML project which I use to generate CHMs for 4 different applications. I use conditional tags to define which topics to include/exclude from each CHM. This worked fine in RoboHelp 5, but I'm having search issues with RoboHelp 7.

When I search in the compiled CHM the results include the titles of topics that were specifically exculded from the CHM by tags as well as topics that are not part of this project at all. I have never merged any of my projects.

I've tried all the suggestions that I've found on this site:
* checked that there are no stray CHM files in the project folder
* renamed and regenerated the CPD file
* created a new SSL file
* edited the registry to remove the option that stops the external link warning appearing
* checked the XPJ file for mergehelp files.

I also installed the KeyTools utility that someone suggested. When I look inside the CHM file I can see topics that should not be in this file - but I've no idea how they got there or how to stop them appearing.

Please, please has anyone got any suggestions - I can't think of anything else to try.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
I proceeded to search for every CHM I've ever generated and deleted all that were stored in any folder that RoboHelp knew about. The new CHM still had the same issue.

Answer
Finally a colleague who knows nothing about RoboHelp but who's been listening to my increasing frustration suggested that I rename the top-level folder with all the old topics that are getting wrongly included. To my relief it worked, but I can't help feeling that this is a bug in RoboHelp 7.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Obviously the build expression is not excluding the topics as KeyTools has shown you.

Have you checked it?

Have you tried creating a new tag and applying it to something, then testing that topic gets excluded?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion. I created a new tag, marked one topic, excluded the tag from the CHM and rebuilt it.

The new CHM excludes the topic from the Contents and Index. However, when I search for a word in the topic then the topic appears to be listed. When I attempt to display the topic I get the program cannot display page and when I look at the properties of the page I can see that it's referring to the same topic but in a different folder and project.

Now I look at the paths for the 'wrong' search results, they all refer to files in last year's projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I proceeded to search for every CHM I've ever generated and deleted all that were stored in any folder that RoboHelp knew about. The new CHM still had the same issue.

Answer
Finally a colleague who knows nothing about RoboHelp but who's been listening to my increasing frustration suggested that I rename the top-level folder with all the old topics that are getting wrongly included. To my relief it worked, but I can't help feeling that this is a bug in RoboHelp 7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
That sound more like the folder specified in the first page of the wizard was wrong. If it were a bug, there would be a lot of people with this problem. However, main thing is you are back in business.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp