15 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2012 1:44 AM by SooBasu

Can't save Flattened PNG with alpha in CS6

SooBasu Level 1

I'm using Fw CS6 - can't save as Flattened PNG with transparency. I'm on Mac OS X 10.7.4. It used to work perfectly with CS5.

• 1. Re: Can't save Flattened PNG with alpha in CS6
          groove25 Level 4

Are you using the Save As... command and choosing Flattened PNG? If so, try clicking on the Options button within the Save dialog. This will open up the Image Preview dialog, where you can fine-tune the image format settings before saving.

If this doesn't help, please explain what you're experiencing in greater detail. For instance, are you having trouble selecting transparency within FW's Image Preview dialog? Or is the image not appearing transparent in a particular context? Feel free to include a sample file.

• 2. Re: Can't save Flattened PNG with alpha in CS6
            SooBasu Level 1

That is exactly what I'm doing: 1) Save as...Flattened PNG 2) Options button 3) PNG32 - in the preview the background shows transparent. Under the Preview checkbox "Millions + alpha" is displayed 4) OK button. Then when I open it back, in Photoshop or Previewer or Fw, the background is white! Attached the Fw file hereArrows.png and the screenshot of the Image Preview options Screen Shot 2012-09-14 at 2.53.07 PM.png

I used to do this on CS5 all the time, and now suddenly it's different.

• 3. Re: Can't save Flattened PNG with alpha in CS6
              Linda Nicholls Level 4

Have yu tried changing the matte color from white to none?

• 4. Re: Can't save Flattened PNG with alpha in CS6
                SooBasu Level 1

Yes, I did that. The image (the arrow) disappears and it shows as a blank file.

• 5. Re: Can't save Flattened PNG with alpha in CS6
                  groove25 Level 4

What if you tried choosing a default Saved Setting—like PNG32—instead of "Soos preset"?

The flattened preview of your Arrow graphic (the one in the text) looks great! I see no problems with it in any application; the background is transparent, and everything looks hunky-dory. The Fireworks PNG also looks good. The only thing I notice is that if I choose Image Preview, the settings do not match the ones in your screenshot. This suggests that the PNG32 settings have not been saved with the file, or perhaps it's because I do not have a copy of "Soos preset".

Image Preview.png

(Incidentally, a graphic like this could potentially work with PNG8 with Alpha transparency, so consider giving that a try!)

• 6. Re: Can't save Flattened PNG with alpha in CS6
                    groove25 Level 4

Actually, I'm going to revise my last reply and suggest that the PNG8 settings (which specify No Transparency) were saved with the file and that they're overriding your PNG32 selection within the Save As command dialog.

I noticed that the PNG8 settings appear within the Optimize panel when I reopened the Fireworks PNG. So I tried Save As..., choosing Flattened PNG, and selecting PNG32 within the Image Preview dialog, and got the same results that you described: a PNG with a white background. So then, within the Optimize panel, I changed "No Transparency" to "Alpha Transparency" and tried Save As again. The results were a transparent PNG.

I don't know if this is a bug that's unique to Fireworks CS6, or just par for the course, but it's definitely not optimal behavior. However, on the plus side, I think it means there's a remedy for your problem.

• 7. Re: Can't save Flattened PNG with alpha in CS6
                      groove25 Level 4

I just did a quick survey of three Fireworks versions (FW8, CS5 and CS6), and this behavior was common to all of them—where PNG8 settings in the Optimize panel were overriding a PNG32 selection made within the Save As command dialog. And it wasn't just Transparency that was affected: the output files were actually PNG8s, not PNG32s.

I don't know if this behavior is unique to PNGs or not. I could see it having gone unnoticed, given that PNG8s are not the most common file format, and most users who choose it would be unlikely to also save a flattened version with a different PNG type.

• 8. Re: Can't save Flattened PNG with alpha in CS6
                        groove25 Level 4

Something else I'm noticing: the Image Preview dialog and Optimize panel normally communicate with one another. Changes to a file format (e.g. from PNG8 to PNG32) made within the Image Preview dialog will result in the same settings appearing within the Optimize panel. This does NOT happen when the image settings are made within the Save As command dialog (even though it seems to access the same Image Preview dialog).

This might be where the system is breaking down. In this case, you'd have better luck using Image Preview instead of Save As to create a Flattened PNG.

• 9. Re: Can't save Flattened PNG with alpha in CS6
                          groove25 Level 4

I just found a similar problem can occur with GIFs: After having specified a very small color palette (e.g., 4 colors) within the Optimize panel, I used Save As..., chose the GIF format and clicked Options, then increased the number of colors to 256 and clicked Export. The resulting GIF used only 4 colors.

However, if I use Save As to export a PNG8 file and specify 256 colors, the resulting PNG8 uses 256 colors.

The rule of thumb seems to be this: Avoid using Save As to export a graphic of the same file type as specified in your Optimization settings, as those settings will override any adjustments you attempt to make within the Options dialog.

This is definitely a bug and should be reported to Adobe using their online submission form:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

At the very least, what should happen in this case is that the Options dialog should be disabled/greyed-out when a user chooses a file type that matches/conflicts with the file's existing optimization settings. This would prevent the user from making adjustments that won't actually be applied, and might prompt them to make those adjustments within Image Preview/Optimize instead. Alternatively and preferably, the Options button would be enabled as with other file types, and users would be able to apply individual optimization settings when choosing the Save As option, which would neither impact nor conflict with any existing optimization settings—as this is a distinct and separate command from the Export command.

• 10. Re: Can't save Flattened PNG with alpha in CS6
                            groove25 Level 4

@SooIndia: I hope my previous replies have been helpful!

Based on my own findings, I went ahead and submitted a bug report on this issue (as I understand it):

BUG REPORT

Product name: Fireworks

Product Version: 12.0.0.236

Product Language: English

Your operating system: Mac OS 10.8.6

******BUG******

Concise problem statement: Using the Save As command to output a flattened copy of a file in an alternate format (GIF, JPEG, Flattened PNG) is common among Fireworks users. Clicking the Options button within the Save As dialog allows users to refine the selected format. However, if the selected file type (e.g., PNG) matches the type currently specified within the Optimize panel or Image Preview dialog—even if only by default—any modifications made by the user within the Options dialog will be ignored. The resulting file will instead use the settings specified within the Optimize panel/Image Preview.

Steps to reproduce bug:

1. Within an open FW document, observe the file type and settings shown within the Optimize panel (e.g., PNG8 with 2 colors).
                            2. Choose the Save As command and select the same file type specified within the Optimize panel (e.g., Flattened PNG).
                            3. Within the Save As dialog, click Options and modify the existing settings to be noticeably different. (For example, choose PNG32.)
                            4. Click OK and Save.

Results: The saved file matches the original Optimize panel settings (e.g., PNG8 with 2 colors).

Expected results: The saved file should match the Options dialog settings (e.g., PNG32).

This bug has been reproduced in Fireworks 8, CS5 and CS6 on Mac OS 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard). It affects all file formats but causes some users to believe that FW is incapable of saving to certain formats (e.g., PNG with transparency) as in this recent forum post:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1065470?tstart=0

The Save As command offers a separate and distinct method of outputting files, independent of the Export/Image Preview commands, which are specifically geared towards optimized web or screen output. It should be capable of saving to all selected file types. However, if this bug cannot be fixed, the Options button should be disabled/greyed-out when a user chooses a file type that matches/conflicts with the file's existing optimization settings.

• 11. Re: Can't save Flattened PNG with alpha in CS6
                              SooBasu Level 1

I just used Image Preview, and it works. I'm a little confused, though, about why the same dialog that appears in both workflows gives two different results.

• 12. Re: Can't save Flattened PNG with alpha in CS6
                                SooBasu Level 1

Thanks for reporting the bug groove25! This thread has been quite helpful, I wouldn't have really used the Export wizard or the Image preview otherwise.

• 13. Re: Can't save Flattened PNG with alpha in CS6
                                  SooBasu Level 1

Actually Soo's Preset is nothing but PNG32 - for some reason CS6 was not saving the previous setting.

• 14. Re: Can't save Flattened PNG with alpha in CS6
                                    groove25 Level 4

Yeah, it took me a while to figure out what was going on here. "Soos preset" was only my first guess; I didn't really get a handle on the problem until reply no.9.

Something else I'm noticing: the Image Preview dialog and Optimize panel normally communicate with one another. Changes to a file format (e.g. from PNG8 to PNG32) made within the Image Preview dialog will result in the same settings appearing within the Optimize panel. This does NOT happen when the image settings are made within the Save As command dialog (even though it seems to access the same Image Preview dialog).

This might be where the system is breaking down.

Actually, I now disagree with the above statement. I think the file format settings made within the Save As/Options dialog should be independent from those made within the Optimize panel or Image Preview dialog. (And for the most part, they are.) The problem is simply that selections made within the Save As/Options dialog are not being honored: They're being overridden by the settings within Optimize/Image Preview in those cases where the file type matches.

Hopefully, the Fireworks team will take a look at this issue, and fix it.

In the meantime, I like my rule of thumb: Avoid using Save As to export a graphic of the same file type as specified in your Optimize panel settings, as those settings will override any adjustments you attempt to make within the Options dialog.

Save As still works great for creating alternative versions of files, just beware of this one issue. And remember that Image Preview and the Optimize panel work together. You can use either to refine your image format settings, and Image Preview or Export can be used to output files based on those settings.

By the way, I like your avatar!

• 15. Re: Can't save Flattened PNG with alpha in CS6
                                      SooBasu Level 1

Yes I agree with your rule of thumb. I'll be using Image Preview from now on, it's also a shorter process. And thank you, the avatar's how I draw myself!