1 2 Previous Next 69 Replies Latest reply: Nov 26, 2014 8:50 PM by noteon RSS

Table of Contents crashes on update

Lindaholiner Community Member

I am running InDesign CS4. I have a book file with 5 files, most of which use a data merge. I have a Table of Contents that I processed successfully until today. I wanted to include a new paragraph tag in the TOC. Each time I try to do so, InDesign crashes. I do not use preferences so wasn't sure if I needed to clean out those settings and not clear how to do that. I tried exporting the TOC file to an IDML, but still have the same problem. Any help is appreciated.

• 1. Re: Table of Contents crashes on update
          Peter Spier CommunityMVP

I would export each of the component files in the book to .inx (which in my experience works better than .idml for file cleanup) then resave them with new names (don't overwrite your old files, just in case..). Make a new Book file, add the new files and try the TOC again.

• 2. Re: Table of Contents crashes on update

thanks, will try it.

• 3. Re: Table of Contents crashes on update

OK, I tried it. A new directory. New files. A new TOC with no styles. As soon as I add anything to the TOC, InDesign stops working. I also had rebooted the computer when this started happening. I am getting desperate.

• 4. Re: Table of Contents crashes on update
                Peter Spier CommunityMVP

Mac or PC? On the Mac you'll get a crash report that could tell us something. If you have on, put it on pastebin.com and post a link here.

• 5. Re: Table of Contents crashes on update

I have a PC. I have one version that processes the TOC OK. If I try to change anything in the TOC , I get the message :

Adobe CS4 has stopped working. Do you want to stop the program?

• 6. Re: Table of Contents crashes on update
                    Peter Spier CommunityMVP

Unfortunately, Windows isn't very helpful with reports, so we resort to pure guesswork and have to ask a bunch of questions to look for clues.

Where do we stand now? You tried the new book from rebuilt files approach and it didn't work, right?

Do you have a font manager? Do you have any third-party plugins installed for ID?

What happens if you do the following:

Create a new file with the same document setup as the one that is giving you trouble. Go to the pages panel and select Master A, then rename it to something like zz to be sure it does not have the same name as any master in the file causing trouble.

Open the problem file, select all the pages in the Pages panel by clicking on the first page, holding the shift key and clicking on the last page, then open the panel flyout menu and select Move Pages...

In the move Dialog that will, insert the pages BEFORE page 1 and choose the new file you just made as the destination. Don't delete the pages after moving.

Back in the new file, delete the original page 1 which is now the last page in the file. IF you redefined [Basic Paragraph] in your other file, you'll want to redfine it to match in the new file. Save with a brand new name.

Does that new file crash when you work with the TOC?

If it still crashes...

What happens if you create a brand new user account on your PC and try to work in that one?

You mentioned above something about a version that does not crash? Does that mean you have a older backup you could use, if all else fails?

• 7. Re: Table of Contents crashes on update

Thank you very much. Still not working. I do not have a font manager or plug-ins.

I tried what you suggested, starting with only one file in the book and now cannot generate a TOC at all. I created a new file by moving the pages as you suggested. This did carry over the Master Pages from the old file. No matter what I try to insert in the TOC, InDesign stops working immediately. When I re-open InDesign, the contents file comes up unsaved.

The only other thing I noticed is that when I create a book file in a new directory, it points to my old directory when I want to add files.

I do have a backup version that works, as long as I don't want to add or delete anything from the TOC.

What do you mean by a new user account?

• 8. Re: Table of Contents crashes on update
                        Peter Spier CommunityMVP

A new user accoutn means adding a new identity to the list of users who can log on. You do it from Windows Control Panel under Users.

Let's back up just a bit, because I'm not sure we're completely on the same page here.

In the new file that you made by moving pages, which should not be included in any book at the moment, are you able to add a new TOC? you can put tit anywhere, evn the pasteboard, for testing.

If you can, can you create a new Book file, then Add the new file to the book (ID defults to looking in the last location you did this operation, so if the new file is in a new directory, you need to navigate to the new directory on your own)? Can you make a TOC from the Book panel for this new Book?

• 9. Re: Table of Contents crashes on update

Thank you. You are right - we were not on the same page. I can create a TOC within the file. Whew!

Let me try making the new book file and creating the TOC from there. Is that what I'm supposed to do in general?

• 10. Re: Table of Contents crashes on update

I'm confused by what you mean by make the TOC in the book panel. All I can do is add a file that contains a TOC.

• 11. Re: Table of Contents crashes on update
                              Peter Spier CommunityMVP

You need to move the pages for all the files into new files as you did for the first one (it might only be one that's the problem, but which one? so do them all). save all of these new files with new names so you aren't overwtiing anything, thenmake a brand new book and add all of these new files into that new book. Hopefully that will solve the problem.

• 12. Re: Table of Contents crashes on update

Sorry, I'm not getting it. I can get the TOC to work within one file. I wanted the TOC to be a separate file. I cannot do this. When I create a blank file for my TOC, include it in the book file and then generate a new TOC, InDesign crashes.

• 13. Re: Table of Contents crashes on update
                                  Peter Spier CommunityMVP

Sorry, my fault. I'm misremembering the procedure for adding the TOC to a book (I only need to do it about once a year). You have to add it to one of the files and check the "Include Book Documents" checkbox.

So are you saying that you can make a TOC if the file is all alone and you don't check the include book docs checkbox, but if you add it to a book it crashes?

In some ways that's actually a good sign, I think. If that describes the situation, it might be as simple as currupt preferences, which is really easy to fix. See Replace Your Preferences

You might not even need to move pages if it works.

• 14. Re: Table of Contents crashes on update

OK, this is what is happening. i can make a TOC fine within any of my files - without creating new ones. When I create an empty file and try to build my TOC there, ID crashes.

I also thought it was a promising sign that I can make a TOC at all. So I took the one I made successfully with the rest of the file and renamed it to Contents. Then I deleted the pages that we not contents and added it to the book file. Now I can process the TOC within the book file, I think. I'm going to try adding files and see if the TOC still works.

It seems that there is something wrong with the way the book file works on my system. The book file is still pointing to the wrong directory even though I have navigated to the right one.

• 15. Re: Table of Contents crashes on update
                                      Peter Spier CommunityMVP

You can select each document in the book panel and from the flyout menu choose Replace Document... whcich should allow you to navigate to the correct directory, but I'd be much more inclined to build a brand new book and carefully add the files from the correct locations. I'm not sure, and can't think of a way to really test without creating the new book, whether the problem is just in the existing book file or is generalized.

Did you try making a new user? That's a very good way to test if the problem is in the program or the files, or in your exisiting user account.

You mentioned earlier that you can't export the original files to .idml. That's also pretty disturbing. Does the file you made from the moved pages export to .idml? if it does, that might be a good reason to do them all and use the new versions.

• 16. Re: Table of Contents crashes on update

OK, I have a theory. I added files and rebuilt the TOC. Worked fine until I got to a certain point. When I tried to include a paragraph style in the TOC, ID crashed. This happened twice.

It turns out that each time, the two styles that broke it are called TOCTitle and IndexArea. I believe I defined these styles the way I wanted them. Are these names reserved?

• 17. Re: Table of Contents crashes on update

Sorry, I didn't see this post. I haven't tried the new user. I have created a new book file but it still doesn't navigate to the right directory.

You misunderstand, I can create IDML files. I exported to INX files b/c you had said that was better. Everything I am working with was recreated from the INX files.

• 18. Re: Table of Contents crashes on update
                                            Peter Spier CommunityMVP

Style names aren't reserved, but where are these styles in use? TOCTitle sounds like a style you would apply to the title of the TOC itself, not something you would find in the body of your book. I can see where ID might hiccup if that style were applied inside the TOC and you tried to update. Let me test that... No, no hiccup here.

I never asked before if CS4 was patched. That was a silly oversight (waht can I say, it's Saturday and my brain is taking the day off). You should be at 6.0.5 at a minimum. Go to the Help menu and hold down the Ctrl key while you click About InDesign... You'll get a detailed info box wit the full build number in the upper left and save history for the active file in the lower left (which can be very useful).

• 19. Re: Table of Contents crashes on update
                                              Peter Spier CommunityMVP

I'm really fried this morning. I did say .inx, and yes, I still stand by that.

Please bear with me.

I'll be going to lunch with a friend in a short while, so there may be a lag, but I'm not abandoning you....

• 20. Re: Table of Contents crashes on update

No problem. Enjoy your lunch.

The InDesign version is 6.0.6 and no more updates are available.

I tried renaming the styles that I thought were causing difficulty and didn't base them on any other styles. that didn't help. I can also process the TOC fine within each file. It's when I include them in the book file, ID crashes.

The other thing that makes me suspicious of my setup is when I close the book file, ID says the file has been changed by another user due to an automatic data recovery. I guess that makes sense since it keeps crashing. I guess I'm losing it at this point too.

• 21. Re: Table of Contents crashes on update
                                                  Peter Spier CommunityMVP

Ah , yes, auto recovery. Try closing those files without saving when ID restarts. Probably won't make a differnce, but it would be good to not be using recovery files or files that have been through the crash and resaved.

• 22. Re: Table of Contents crashes on update

So I don't believe we are any closer to a solution here. I do have a file I can get by with but I'd like to know what went wrong here.

I started with a new book file and empty TOC file. I can create a TOC in each individual file. Where I run into problems is in creating the TOC as a separate file. The only way I got it to work - and it still didn't work for every file or style that I wanted to incorporate - was to create a TOC within a file and use that as the basis for future TOCs. IS there anything else I should try here?

Thank you for your help/

• 23. Re: Table of Contents crashes on update
                                                      Peter Spier CommunityMVP

It's still sounding like it could be a problem in the user. It would really help if you were to create a new user account and log in with that to test.

I can also take a look here, if you like. We're about at the point where it will be easier for me to figure out waht the problem is if I can see the files. I'll send you an upload link and you can use it or not as you choose.

• 24. Re: Table of Contents crashes on update

OK, I think it worked. I changed the user - created a new account and I believe I'm not having the problem. What does that mean?

• 25. Re: Table of Contents crashes on update
                                                          Peter Spier CommunityMVP

That means with any luck it's just bad prefs in the original account. Log back in with that user, then follow the directions here: Replace Your Preferences

• 26. Re: Table of Contents crashes on update

OK, I'll try it. Funny thing is that I saw that note when I started looking into the problem, but I never use preferences so I wasn't sure it would matter.

• 27. Re: Table of Contents crashes on update
                                                              Peter Spier CommunityMVP

Lindaholiner wrote:

but I never use preferences

You might not have taken the time to customize the prefs to suit yourself, but they are there and you use them. The prefs control how all of the optional choices in ID work, and some choice needs to be made, whether it's the default setting that is chosen when the program is installed, or a differnt option to suit your own work habits.

You should take the time to explore the prefs, you might see some things that you'd like to change to help you work more efficiently.

• 28. Re: Table of Contents crashes on update

OK, thanks. This has been enlightening. What a way to spend a beautiful Saturday.

Tried it and it worked. Should have listened earlier. Thank you. I am truly impressed with your responsiveness.

• 29. Re: Table of Contents crashes on update
                                                                  Peter Spier CommunityMVP

Twenty Questions is fun, right?

Basically I'm just stubborn and won't let go of a problem.

• 30. Re: Table of Contents crashes on update

Hi Peter,

I hate to tell you but this is deja vu all over again. I am again trying to rebuild a TOC and InDesign crashes. I cleaned out my  preferences - deleted In Design SavedData and InDesign Defaults. However, In Design Saved Data was not in the \Roaming subdirectory  subdirectory, we found it in \Local.

In any case InDesign is broken and I am not able to include a new style in my TOC.This happens to be a style I built using paragraph rules of a very large size. InDesign crashes and tells me one of my files could be corrupt. Please help me.

• 31. Re: Table of Contents crashes on update
                                                                      Peter Spier CommunityMVP

I think we just have to go back through the same steps again.

Can you open each of the files individually? If so, let's start by exporting each one to .inx, then open that and save as a new .indd file with a new name (do NOT overwrite your old files), then make a new book and add the files again.

• 32. Re: Table of Contents crashes on update

OK, I had a feeling you were going to suggest that. I'm going to start in a new directory.

• 33. Re: Table of Contents crashes on update

OK, seemed to work. I made a PDF file but didn't do anything else. I'll try rebuilding the TOC.

• 34. Re: Table of Contents crashes on update

As soon as I did that, it crashed. Please advise.

• 35. Re: Table of Contents crashes on update
                                                                              Peter Spier CommunityMVP

Sounds like perhaps one of the styles is corrupt. Do you remember which styles you added since it worked?

We might be able to correct the problem by creating a new style with a different name, but the same definition. Don't copy the old style or base the new one on it -- create the new one from scratch. Then delete the old style and ID will ask you to choose a replacement. Pick the new style, change the styles picked up in the TOC and see what happens.

• 36. Re: Table of Contents crashes on update

Of course I do. I think it is one style in the TOC. When I removed it, I was able to create a new TOC. I will double check later tonight.

• 37. Re: Table of Contents crashes on update
                                                                                  Peter Spier CommunityMVP

Is it widely used?

• 38. Re: Table of Contents crashes on update

OK, let me see if I can describe the behavior. I removed the style I thought was causing the problem and assigned a different style to it. I then included the new style in the TOC. It still broke.

I basically have two alternate headers in the file. One is included successfully in the TOC. The other one isn't. So I gave all the headers the format that works in the TOC and reformatted the second one after the TOC was processed. But this doesn't seem like a good way to work.

• 39. Re: Table of Contents crashes on update
                                                                                      Peter Spier CommunityMVP

So are you saying that the TOC will work if all the headings have the same style, but assigning any other style to the subheads causes a crash?

Are you still able to do a TOC for each individual chapter if you use two styles?

How many files are in the book?

1 2 Previous Next