Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CFB mungs some UTF-8

LEGEND ,
Sep 15, 2012 Sep 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

G'day

Can someone pls help me confirm a glitch I'm seeing in CFB (2.0.1)?

Copy and paste this into a file:

<cfset categories = 'Акатегориақәа'>

When I paste that into CFB, it messes up the "қә", instead rendering them as small squares with what looks like a question mark in them (I cannot copy and paste into here, because they render just fine in here).

If I open the same file in Eclipse (or any other text editor), they render fine.

Note: the file I'm looking at is correctly saved as UTF-8, and indeed the file saves fine, it's just the rendering on the CFB screen that is off.

At this point, I'm just wondering if other people get the same thing...

Cheers.

--

Adam

TOPICS
Builder

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope.  Works fine for me.  CFB 2.0

Screen Shot 2012-09-15 at 2.44.48 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks good to me as well..

Screen Shot 2012-09-15 at 1.06.33 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cheers guys.  I should also have pointed out I'm on Windows (Vista, 64-bit if it matters with a CFB install), running stand-alone.

Dave, just to clarify: are you on CFB 2.0 or 2.0.1?

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have a Windows machine to test on. My test was on a Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on CFB 2.0.1 on a Mac.

--Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Adam, here’s another report for you: it worked fine for me on Windows 7, 64-bit, on CFB 2.0.1.

You know I wonder (sincerely, with no attitude intended), given also your challenge reported at http://forums.adobe.com/message/4689772, http://forums.adobe.com/message/4555461, etc., whether some of these are not necessarily due to CFB itself but rather some plugin(s) you may have added. You may want to list which you have. I’ll note that for my CFB implementation against which I’m testing above, I have none beyond what it comes with.

/charlie

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 16, 2012 Sep 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cheers guys.

I tried on another machine I have knocking around here, and I could not replicate on either 2.0 or 2.0.1.  This was a Win7 32-bit machine.  I suspect it's a vagary of my install.  It purely seems to be a rendering problem (ie: the underlying files are fine), so I'm not that bothered I guess.  I can't read Cyrillic anyhow, so it's not like I'm missing out. It's just locationisation text: I don't need to be able to read it... as long as the end result is readable to the taget audience, and for this project there might never be a target audience anyhow.

It's odd because in other files using Cyrillic heavily, everything seems fine.  And even in that file, most of it seems OK.  I have not checked that thoroughly, that said.

Good thinking re the other issue I'm having, Charlie, but I would say they're unlrelated: they're on two different machines for a start (and that's a third machine, when counting the two I mention so far in this thread).

On the machine I'm having this rendering challenge on, the only third-party plug-in I have installed it the MXUnit one, and that's unlikely to have anything to do with this.

As for the other issue I'm having that you link to, Charlie, I'm almost certain that's down to the way Adobe have engineered CFB without the consideration that some people are not administrators of their machines, and CFB tries to write to places that a non-Admin won't have write access to (eg: the application directory).  I imagine that CFB is trying to write that stuff to C:\Program Files\(etc), not being able to, so just sticks it somewhere else (not a very clever approach, but would not surprise me).  Although why it's picked that exact directory, I don't know.  Perhaps that's the dir I was working in when it first needed to write those files, and it's subsequently written that location to some config file as the location of said files, so tries to recreate them there.  Dunno.  It's mostly a cosmetic issue (and another reason for some eyerolling exercise re CFB, as if I needed more of that), so I'm not that bothered.  Perhaps I'll have a hunt through its config files to see if it's written that path somewhere, and try to work out WTH.  Although that's my work machine and I'm not in the office until Thurs, so that will have to wait.

Cheers for the thoughts, Charlie.

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 16, 2012 Sep 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good points on permissions issues. I’m finding this to be a problem more and more for many apps, on servers as well as desktops/laptops. As Microsoft makes Windows (Vista, 7, 2008) more secure, there are lots of places where such permissions issues are catching people out. And all the more confusing as some users run as Admin, others turn off User Access Control (UAC) entirely, etc.

As you’ve observed, if a developer of a tool wasn’t sensitive to this, it could make that tool act in unexpected ways. I suspect we’re in for a few years of pain with respect to issues, as things like this get worked out, and greater security becomes the norm among all users rather than the exception. Sadly, it’s problems like this that lead some, including developers of tools, to do things like run as Admin or turn off UAC, which only perpetuates the problem!

Oh well, we can only keep moving forward. Hope you can sort things out.

/charlie

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation