Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Getting topic keywords into the index

Explorer ,
Jul 28, 2008 Jul 28, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

How do you get topic keywords from one or more topics into the index? Is there some way to scan the .HTM files in a project and pick up all the keywords that are defined in the topics (but may not be in the Index)? My index got wiped out, and I want to rebuild it from the topic keywords in the topics in the RoboHelp project.

Thanks,
John B.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John

If you have Topic Level index keywords defined, these should exist as meta tags in the head area of the topic. Normally RoboHelp HTML will simply include these in the index when your help is created. You might try simply closing and re-opening your project. This action in and of itself may coax the keywords to be listed in the index.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

The topic keywords are in the topics as meta tags, but closing and re-opening the project doesn't cause them to appear in the Index pane...um..pod?. They refuse to be coaxed. Any other ideas?

BTW, the keywords do show up in the compiled help index... which is confusing to me because they are not in the RH index, and they are not in the .HHK file (it's empty). And a file I found (rhkkeyword.apj) is also devoid of keywords. Does the help compiler know how to build an index from the meta tags in the .HTM files themselves?

Thanks,
John B

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 29, 2008 Jul 29, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try changing the settings so that new keywords are added to the index file and then create just one keyword. See if that brings in all the other keywords from the topics.

Post back if not.

Is your output a CHM or webhelp?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

I'm afraid that doesn't work to bring in the other topic keywords. Only the one keyword or a that I added after changing the settings appears in the index pod. It also appears in the HHK file. The output is CHM.

One might wish for a "Scan topics for keywords" command.

Thanks,
John B.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, John,

Is your index binary or non-binary? You need a binary index to include embedded topic keywords in the index.

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this help?

http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/x5_keywords/x5_keywords_bug.htm

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
To Pete L,

Index is binary - RH forces that choice when I select Topic keywords for the project.

To Peter G,

Gee, that might work, but I don't have time right now to work through it. I'll keep it in mind for later--probably combine Grep and Sed in a batch file to scan the HTM files and create the RH keyword file so I can use it again.

Thanks,
John B.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp