• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I avoid having "XE index" entries in the pdf bookmarks frame?

New Here ,
Sep 06, 2012 Sep 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I try to use RH9 to create a pdf file, but the contents (= bookmarks) frame looks like this:

1 Heading 1

2 XE "Index word 1" /* MERGEFORMAT Heading 2

3 XE "Index word 2" /* MERGEFORMAT XE "Index word 3" /* MERGEFORMAT XE "Index word 4" /* MERGEFORMAT Heading 3

4 XE "Index word 5" /* MERGEFORMAT Heading 5

Apart from the apalling look, these bookmarks jump somewhere, but not to the given topic.

I know I could create a Word document instead and fix the headings there, but I am trying to delete this step from my workflow, because it is to time-consuming.

Thank you for any suggestions!

Irina

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 06, 2012 Sep 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the camera icon in the forum's web interface to show screenshots - attachments get stripped off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 07, 2012 Sep 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My guess is you have Word to show field names by default so when RoboHelp uses Word behind the scenes, it gets the field name instead. Check your Word settings.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2012 Sep 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

thanks, I didn't keep in mind that the fact whether the special characters are shown or hidden are part of the .dot file. That explains why the the index entries vanished at some point ... ;.)

Best regards,

Irina

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2012 Sep 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On second look, no:  The same .dot - now hiding all formatting and special characters - results in a pdf-bookmarks (=TOC) frame

a) without index entries, if the ssl hasn't checked the option "Keep HTML Heading levels" and

b) with index entries, if the ssl has checked the option "Keep HTML Heading levels"

a)  RH8_pdf_ssl_withoutHTMLheadingLevels.pngb) RH8_pdf_ssl_withHTMLheadingLevels.png

1) Any ideas, why setting this option results in a frame showing things which are hidden in the .dot file?

2) Would an update to RH9 help? (I am very much hesitating this step since I've tried RH9 and found it corrupts all my conditional tags.)

Thanx in advance,

Irina

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 16, 2012 Sep 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first image is if you get Rh to output to Word and second is if you get Rh, to convert to PDF without a Word document, correct?

Have you tried using Word to create the PDF after Rh has created the Word document?

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2012 Sep 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

no, both are RH -> pdf directly (although RH uses Word in the background, anyway).

yes, I did, but I am just changing my workflow from RH -> Word -> pdf to RH -> pdf, in order to save time per pdf-manual. This way, I decrease the quality of the manuals knowingly, but can't help it.

My routine now is to remove the RH-made TOC and use the Acrobat features.

It was quite tricky to find out what input RH uses to create what content, e.g. the header (left) and header (right).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 21, 2012 Sep 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So does the RH>Word>PDF route work?

What do you mean by header (left) and header (right)?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp