19 Replies Latest reply: Jan 11, 2013 6:44 PM by mwpfishbreeder RSS

Help! Built in features/hints not working flash cs6. Need fix ASAP

Androidblowtech

Loads of built in features are not working for me in Flash CS6. When I was using CS4 they did, now they aren't. I will give two examples. Say for example I am writing code in the actions window and I type "green_btn." in regards to the name of a button instance, what usually happens when I hit the "." immediately after "green_btn" a menu will pop up showing me every option I can pick, like green_btn.addEventListener() etc etc. There is usually a menu that comes up, but for me there is no menu. I have also created a button symbol, placed an instance of it on the stage, named the instance and tried it again (cs6 is supposed to recognize the "_btn" automatically and make the menu come up even if there is no button created, but I decided to create one just in case), and no menu pops up, still . Something is wrong here, it used to work for me when I had CS4 installed. Another example is if I am in the actions window again, and I type in a function like trace(); for example, you are supposed to be able to put your cursor infront of it, or highlight it and hit F1 and it will take you directly to the help page for that function. This does not happen as well. As I go on and on I seem to keep stumbling across all these built in features for convenience that are not working. And I know 100% that they are supposed to be, I am actually in a class right now for flash and I watch demo videos where it works perfectly. What is going on with mine? I have checked every possible preference and option, I have everything and I mean EVERYTHING up to date with the most current versions. I'm stuck, and I am getting really pissed off to be blunt, I need to fix this ASAP because it is going to affect my studies which are currently ongoing, I have deadlines to  meet and I am dicking around trying to fix this. PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME! Any suggestions and solution will be greatly appreciated on my behalf. If anyone helps me fix this I'll kiss you!!!!!!!!

• 1. Re: Help! Built in features/hints not working flash cs6. Need fix ASAP
          kglad CommunityMVP

code hinting:

you need to save your as file in order for code hints to work.  in addition, the associated fla must be open in flash pro for code hints to work in your as file.

you should also click edit>preferences>actionscript and make sure code hints is ticked and re-save your associated fla.  then make sure the as in the correct directory relative to the associated fla.

help files:

http://www.adobe.com/support/flash/downloads.html#flashCS6

• 2. Re: Help! Built in features/hints not working flash cs6. Need fix ASAP
            Androidblowtech Community Member

I am not working with an external .as file

• 3. Re: Help! Built in features/hints not working flash cs6. Need fix ASAP

and I do have code hints turned on.

Thanks for you response though, I appreciate it.

• 4. Re: Help! Built in features/hints not working flash cs6. Need fix ASAP
                kglad CommunityMVP

code hinting:

next thing to do is increase  your cache size (and make sure your fla is saved to your harddrive, not a usb drive).

help files:

did you update your cs6 and resolve the help file issue?

• 5. Re: Help! Built in features/hints not working flash cs6. Need fix ASAP

I increased the cache from 800 to 5000, is that sufficient?

The .fla is saved to my harddrive

still no code hinting. I also unchecked and rechecked the code hinting, and even did a reboot on my comp and still nothing.

everything is updated, EVERYTHING, to the most current version available. I updated everything possible through the "Adobe Help Manager" and also through the help menu within the programs themselves; Help->Updates. I made slight progress with the help issue, in general settings withing the "Adobe Help Manager" I changed it to display local help only. So now when I initiate help by either right clicking, and then going to "view help" in the pop-up menu, or by hitting "FN+F1" (hp laptop) it brings up the flash_reference.pdf but it does not go directly to the function selected as it's supposed to. So maybe that isn't even progress...

I watched the demo video for the course I am in, and it shows our instructor put the cursor immediately infront of trace(); (within the actions window) and go to help and it goes directly to the help section on trace, and then he also highlights trace(); and goes to view help and it does the same thing.

I am also in touch with him (its an online course) to see if he can figure out it, and I am still waiting to hear back from him, but no one seems to know. I even contacted ADOBE today and got passed on to 3 different people only to be given the toll free 800 number because no one knows how to fix it.

• 6. Re: Help! Built in features/hints not working flash cs6. Need fix ASAP

And I am forgetting to thank you for your time. I'm always thankful for any help, and I do appreciate it, even if I am appearing to be a grumpy *******.

Thank you.

• 7. Re: Help! Built in features/hints not working flash cs6. Need fix ASAP

I have discovered the code hinting works for at least one thing...

If I type:

var myExample:   --> the code hinting menu comes up after ":"

but it still does not work with the "." operator in a lot of cases, and everything else I have been testing and trying doesn't work, but it did for the above example.

Everything else I have mentioned earlier in this discussion still stands, and the hinting is not working for most statements that I type, but it did for that one.

That give any ideas?

• 9. Re: Help! Built in features/hints not working flash cs6. Need fix ASAP

I tried everything suggested, nothing. There was one step mentioned which had you go into your registry. When I created a new entry and tried to rename it what we were told to, it was already in existance, so I simply just modified it how it was suggested to. Just thought I would mention that although it's probably absolutely useless to know that lol.

I did discover something though, if I type:

var myVariable:   ->code hinting is triggered.

In that example, after I used the colon operator, it works, however that is the only time it has ever worked, and continues to work. I still yet have to have any success with other statements like "green_btn."

I have reinstalled Flash Pro CS4, and code hinting works fine in it. Use "green_btn." and badda bing badda boom there is my hinting. While I am still very much in the learning process, I will probably choose to stick with CS4 version for it's quite useful in aiding someone new. However, I'm still going to consider this issue "open", and will try further suggestions given.

Thanks for your help and time, appreciate it!

• 10. Re: Help! Built in features/hints not working flash cs6. Need fix ASAP
                          kglad CommunityMVP

green_btn means nothing to flash even if it is on stage and clearly defined in the properties panel as a Simple Button or Button or MovieClip.  to enable code hinting for green_btn, you must explicitly tell flash (using actionscript its data type).  you will then get code hinting for green_btn. 

for example,

var green_btn:MovieClip;  // with green_btn being an on-stage MovieClip

// now, if you type green_btn.<code completion hints for MovieClip properties and methods should appear here>

• 11. Re: Help! Built in features/hints not working flash cs6. Need fix ASAP

It does mean something when it is the name of a button symbol instance in the .fla you are using... and not even that. What it is recognizing is _btn. Not green_btn, but just the _btn. There are particular suffixes that Flash recognizes., _btn being one of those. This has absolutely nothing to do with telling flash its data type.

I'm clearly watching a video where it is recognized, and I am using that exact same file that is in the video. However, I don't even need to be using that exact same file. I can open a brand new .fla file with flash pro CS4 (any flash pro, flash pro CS4 just happens to be the only other version I have), actionscript 3.0, and it has absolutely nothing in it. Bare bones, not one image, not one letter typed. Open the actions windows, type green_btn. and the code hinting menu comes up. Type whatever the hell you want, just end it with _btn. Don't believe me? Try it yourself.

Works in Flash CS4, not CS6. Again, this is the entire issue. I am not unclear on what is and what is not being recognized to trigger code hinting. I am unclear why code hinting is not working properly in my Flash Pro CS6.

Thanks though.

• 12. Re: Help! Built in features/hints not working flash cs6. Need fix ASAP
                              kglad CommunityMVP

that was only supported in cs3 and cs4, i believe.

• 13. Re: Help! Built in features/hints not working flash cs6. Need fix ASAP

You very well could be right on that, but it still doesn't answer why code hinting does not work in other scenarios.

• 14. Re: Help! Built in features/hints not working flash cs6. Need fix ASAP
                                  proteanbf

I was able to get my coding hinting to work by unchecking the code hinting in ActionScript preferences (crl+U), which was checked by default, then quitting Flash Pro. Then relaunch Flash Pro, now I checked the code hinting in ActionScript preferences, increased the Publish Cache (last category on preferences panel list) size to 500 Mgs. Quit Flash Pro, then relaunched it. Selected the frame with my actionscript, pressed F9 to bring up the scripting window and code hinting was now working.

• 15. Re: Help! Built in features/hints not working flash cs6. Need fix ASAP
                                    seamus68 Community Member

OK here we go.  If you are still interested this is how I got it to work... sort of. 

Create a Flash project using actionscript 2. 

Change it to as3 in the project properties.

Type in a class name it doesn't matter what it is.

Save both.

Start working and see if this helps.

The thing is when you go to open your project after closing it you need to change it to as2 in the project properties pannel save it then change it back to as3 and give it a new class.

By the way if you don't do it this way and you..  Say create a simple shape and turn it into a movie clip then you creat a new layer and use frame 1 as your actionscript frame you will notice that if you use a "dot" to end your object statement you will see

that you can't even click on the code hints button.  If you use a comma you can use the code hints button or you can hit CTRL SPACEBAR and it will pull up the list we are all used to seeing when we simply typed in code.  Gee whilikers Adobe dropped the ball on this one.  I can't say it enough that it was just plane poor design planing on their part. 

• 16. Re: Help! Built in features/hints not working flash cs6. Need fix ASAP

**** that's quite the process. Thank you very much for posting that for myself and other people who may be having the same problem.

Fortunately, I am the owner of CS4 as well, so for the meantime until this issue is actually looked at and fixed by Adobe, I will just use Flash from the previous design suite.

Thanks again! Much appreciated!

• 17. Re: Help! Built in features/hints not working flash cs6. Need fix ASAP
                                        mcorrin Community Member

I don't know if this has already been posted and given how frustrated I am by the level of help elesewhere on the forum from Adobe Staff, I'll just say this: Delete your entire 'Configuration' (or at least temporarily copy its contents somewhere else) and restart Flash. Working on a Mac with CS6 installed, this fix got code hinting working again. If I had time I would drill down into each sub-folder and figure out which one was failing me; but I don't.

An Adobe Staffer on this forum recently posted that  I was supposed to delete the 'Code Model' folder and restart the app but this had no effect.

So on a Mac, at least give my solution a try if you are as frustrated as I was.

1. Find 'Configuration' folder (Library > Application Support > Flash CS6 > en_US > Configuration) and delete it or move it temporarily.
                                        2. Launch Flash and give it a whirl.
                                        • 18. Re: Help! Built in features/hints not working flash cs6. Need fix ASAP
                                          seamus68 Community Member

Yeah did that too.  I appreciate the help and if I had a Mac life would be sooo much easier but the "code Model" folder on the PC, when deleted, does nothing to fix this issue. 

Thanks though.  By the way if anyone from Adobe reads this,  I come across more and more users that are going back to cs4 pro because of this issue.  Ask marketing if you have their permission to fix it.

• 19. Re: Help! Built in features/hints not working flash cs6. Need fix ASAP
                                            mwpfishbreeder Community Member

Sadly this didn't work for me...like the fourth "fix" I've tried without success!  I have to agree with the sentiments of many others before me - this USED TO WORK.  With a Creative Cloud subscription I don't have the luxury option of rolling back to developing in CS4.  I'm stuck.