Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CANT GET RID OF THIS WHITE BACKGROUND!

Apr 03, 2012 Apr 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I have this jpeg that I brought into PS. Picture a white square with a red ball in the center. Now you want to get rid of the white background and make it transparent. Simple, right? You delete the white, save and that should be it. When I then bring the art into Illustrator on a colored page, the white is still there. If I place the psd file its not....jpeg it is. I've done this a zillion times! What happened?*

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Apr 04, 2012 Apr 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JPEGs do not support transparency and never have. Simply use PSDs. For everything else you might wanna ask on the AI forum regarding possible transparency flattening issues.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. there are no more transparent JPGs than there are uniforms running on rainbows

Use PNG, PSD, or TIFF(with an alpha channel), or  GIF (with a reduced set of colors)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only way to obtain transparency in JPG is to create a clipping path in Photoshop and place in InDesign. Illustrator does not support JPG clipping paths.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are doing this in Illustrator what you want to is save it either as a layered psd file, that is with a transparent background or a layered tiff with a transparent background the only reason you would use a clipping path is if you were going to alter the path at some point in which case you can simply make a clipping mask in Illustrator regardless of what the original format is and whether it is linked or not.

You can use a jpeg but I do not recommend it exceptt for our put and you are going to lose the transparent background if this is intended for the web so you will have to output it as a png for best results.

I reccommend als if you out put it as Save for the Web and Device that you take the AI file and open it as a smart object in Photoshop and then out put it from Photoshops Save for the Web and Device as Phpotoshop usualy does a better job of this and so does Fireworks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You delete the white,

The more reasonable approach would be a Layer Mask, in my opinion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2012 Sep 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At the time of the earlier posts Indesign CS 6 may not have had this export option but when exporting file as a PNG one choice is for a transparent background. That takes care of it.

As well-noted before, jpegs don't support/allow for tranparency so don't export them as such. If you need a jpeg you can always save the file as a JPEG after you are done with your PS work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2016 Jan 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello, did you manage to do it ?

i am in the same predicament....a few of my images are fine but i have no idea what i am ding differently?

thanks Karen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines