• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Standard 9.5.2 after update I get "Insufficient data for an image" error

New Here ,
Aug 16, 2012 Aug 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After updating to Acrobat Standard and Readre 9.5.2, some (but not all) of my pdf files are now opening with the error "Insufficient data for an image." The files open, but they are fuzzy, pixelated and are missing the bates stamp I applied earlier (using a utility from LexisNexis Casemap). I can open the files fine on another computer with Acrobat Standard 9.5.1.

How can I uninstall the 9.5.2, or get it to work again?

TOPICS
Install update and subscribe to Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 16, 2012 Oct 16, 2012

Acrobat engineering would like to inform users facing this issue that the latest Reader XI release (available for download from http://get.adobe.com/reader) fixes this problem. Users are requested to download the latest version at the earliest to avoid encountering this error going forward. As mentioned earlier, the team is working actively towards fixing the problem in earlier versions (10.x and 9.x) as well and expects to deliver a solution by Q1 2013.

For more information, please see our KB d

Votes

Translate

Translate
Aug 16, 2012 Aug 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi osieko,

Can you share across any such sample pdf file? Also, what OS are you working upon?

You have both Acrobat Standard 9.5.2 and Reader 9.5.2 installed on your machine. Right?

One option that you can try is to repair your Acrobat/Reader from Programs in Control Panel and see if that resolves the issue.

Otherwise kindly attach a screenshot of the error you are receiving along with any sample pdf file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2012 Aug 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 7 64-bit with Samsung SSD on an i5 Lenovo laptop. Yes, I have both Acrobat Standard and Reader 9.5.2 on the machine. Both give the same error when opening the attached file.

-Dan-

osieko@hotmail.com

Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 23:06:52 -0600

To: osieko@hotmail.com

Subject: Adobe Standard 9.5.2 after update I get "Insufficient data for an image" error

Re: Adobe Standard 9.5.2 after update I get "Insufficient data for an image" error

created by vamalik in Acrobat Installation & Update Issues - View the full discussion

Hi osieko,Can you share across any such sample pdf file? Also, what OS are you working upon?You have both Acrobat Standard 9.5.2 and Reader 9.5.2 installed on your machine. Right? One option that you can try is to repair your Acrobat/Reader from Programs in Control Panel and see if that resolves the issue.Otherwise kindly attach a screenshot of the error you are receiving along with any sample pdf file.

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page:

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at . In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Acrobat Installation & Update Issues by email or at Adobe Forums

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/message/2936746#2936746.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2012 Aug 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Adobe Acrobat Pro 9 and just updated the software to install 9.5.2 when the update notice appeared. After installing the update, each time I open a PDF an error mssg appears: "Insufficient data for an image." The PDF is blurry, pixilated. My OS is Windows Ultimate 64-bit with all patches and updates applied. I have tried the software repair option as well as fully uninstalling Acrobat Pro and reinstalling it. Software works fine until applying update for 9.5.2. This is when the problem starts. I have also run registry scans, but no effect on this problem. I've reported this problem with the "Bug Report" formlet in the support section of adobe.com.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I rather suspect this is the same issue as "Problems with JPEG2000 in PDF" in the Scanning & OCR forum, even though that is related to an update in Acrobat X. Clearly it wouid need test files to know more.

If so, I suspect a security fix for for JPEG2000 has backfired.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Test Screen Name,

Thanks for your note, which sounds correct to me. Further checking shows me that the problem I am having is not uniform across all PDF files. Some open correctly, others fail. Further, almost any PDF I have created by scanning from a Kodak i2600 scanner using native drivers (i.e. Kodak driver set) and Nuance PaperPort Pro 14 are having this problem. So there might be an embedded JPEG issue going on here, failure to fully load maybe.

I am new to this forum and unfamiliar with navigation to other threads. If you have run across a solution to the problem or know a way for me to try reinstalling a JPEG2000 security fix, please let me know. Otherwise, I've just reported it as a 'bug' although I have no idea if it's something that's gone wrong on my own workstation or if it's a problem in the update itself.

I can upload error message image (see below) but am not sure how to upload a sample PDF.

Adobe Error Mssg Capture.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi danskpfennig,

You can share the sample pdf's via some file sharing server (say Acrobat.com)  and paste its link here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2012 Aug 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

vamalik,

thanks ... see if this link will work: https://acrobat.com/app.html#d=J8q35Rq*bbvPSzdcpdm0ig

it's a scanned copy of a university map which opens fine on acrobat.com but on my own machine i receive the error message listed above. this file also opens okay in Nuance PDF Converter but not in Acrobat Pro. So this makes me think that the scanner drivers or scanning software do not create a true PDF file. but on the other hand, before applying the update 9.5.2, the acrobat pro software worked just fine with the same equipment and software.

thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The document indicated it could not be found or no permission. If you only wanted it available to one individual that is fine, but if you wanted general review of the document it is not available to others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Bill. Have not used this sharing server before. Can you let me know how to change permissions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill,

I moved the document into the shared workspace. Does that work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bill,

The document is still not accessible.

Hi danskpfennig,

Select "Share Document" from the drop down menu of the document and then select "Publish it".

This way it will be publically available to everyone who has the link to the document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2012 Aug 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your patience. Try this now.

https://acrobat.com/#d=J8q35Rq*bbvPSzdcpdm0ig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 22, 2012 Aug 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The document was produced by a PaperPort 14, as you said. It is strange that the document views great in the browser window of Acrobat.COM, but when downloaded and viewed in AA9.5.2, I get the same message and the image does not appear to completely load. Running preflight shows no error in the PDF, but there is indeed an image problem with the PDF. If I get a chance, I will view it with AA8 on a machine at work. At this point it is not clear if the problem is with the PDF or some bug in AA9.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill,

Thanks very much for taking a look. You experience the same thing as me in this error. I should note that in Acrobat Pro there was no problem with this same document in updates prior to 9.5.2. This viewing difficulty only showed up a few days ago after I applied the most recent update. I did a full uninstall of Acrobat Pro 9 and then reinstalled it. No problem with the PDFs, Paperport generated or native PDFs, was experienced until applying update 9.5.2. at which point the error appeared. I havel also checked to be sure there is not an artifact left in my registry which pointed to an incorrect DLL or orphan file. No idea what's going on here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm that this is a JPEG2000 image.

This is seeming more and more likely to be a security fix, but let me make it clear what I mean.

I think an update to Acrobat 9 and 10 includes extra checks to JPEG 2000 data in PDF files. Perhaps the earlier version quiely ignored a problem, or perhaps there is a bug in the new checks.

There are signs that this is for some people related to high resolution access to the JPEG 2000 e.g. zooming or TIFF export. This is not too hard to explain, as JPEG 2000 files might contain multiple images at different resolutions.

Speculation: perhaps the older software found bad high resolution images, and ignored them using the low resolution instead. But perhaps the new software doesn't tolerate this at all.

We'd really have to hear from someone at Adobe or a JPEG 2000 format expert to be sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried a work around. I opened the file in AA8 and ran the PDF Optimizer on it. This changed the graphic encoding to JPeg from what had been JPeg2000. The resultant file opened fine in Acrobat 9.5.2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2012 Aug 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill, Thank you for testing our a workaround. I will check into how a PDF Optimizer works. Never used this before. I wonder if PaperPort 14 is producing PDF files that are somehow defective against standard PDF format specs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TSN, Thanks very much for looking at this for me. I have reported this experience to Adobe via the bug report applet, so I guess we have to wait to see if the issue is addressed. I appreciate your time and attention on the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2012 Oct 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll join the crowd with my experience today. Today one user received the "Insufficient data for an image" error. From what I have read about the issue, one reason was upgrading to Ver 10.1.4. The user who has the issue with version is 10.1.1 on XP Pro SP3. She informed another user who was able to print the document. The person who could view the document correctly and print it has ver 10.1.4 on XP Pro SP3.

The user who can view/print received the document in an email. The email was forwarded to me with the attachment. When I attempt viewing, the Insufficient ... message occurs. My version was 10.1.4 on Windows 7 SP1. So, reading the comments, I downloaded and installed Ver. 11.

Guess what, it still has the same error. When I exit the reader it wants to save the update of the document. Interesting, because nothing was changed except the display was incorrect. It did indicate a 2nd copy was created. Also, the reader should be able to do an update.

Until a correction is available, I'll consider downgrading the software and/or find a freeware pdf viewer.

I will not upload the document. It is a contract with a customer & is proprietory.

Update: One image which did not appear was the company logo. I have an NT4.0 SP6a & W2K SP4 PCs with Reader Ver 7.0. They would display the document but without the company logo in the upper right corner. The error meesage on these two PCs was "There was an error while trying to parse an immage". Sounds like the image is the logo. The XP user who could view & print did have the logo present.

The info from the file Properties is:

RdrError20121016.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 16, 2012 Oct 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

adobe products.. I am also looking for alternatives and will not update in

the future. are they awake? do they even understand whats going on, can

we get a more adequate response, this has been months..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much for the reference, Bernd. As the blog suggested and as Bill suggested, saving the PDF again in PDF Optimizer works to achieve a correct display and avoid the error. The zoom reduce and re-size to fit page did not have a positive effect for me, however. It appears that this is now a known problem at Adobe, and they are working on it. Thank you all again for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 03, 2012 Sep 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting ... "Insufficient data for an image"... when i try to open a PDF file with Adobe Reader X ( i think this is also known as acrobat). i only have this version running on the desktop, recently after the error I uninstalled all Adobe applications and then reinstalled - have not reinstaed reader X. Originally the desktop came with Adobe Acrobat X standard and Adobe Reader 9.0 Multi -Runniung 64 bit WIndows 7.  I can open the PDF file from other desktops? and it opens with PDF viewer in PaperPort 14.0 ?

i think the issue is the version of the combination of adobe products i have loaded?  trying to work thru this ?/ ideas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 03, 2012 Sep 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Reader X is not also known as Acrobat.

Adobe Reader is free and only reads PDF files. Acrobat (which includes Acrobat Pro and Acrobat Standard) is not free, and makes PDF files.

Please see the link in reply 19. This is an Adobe bug. It seems to be the same bug affecting both Acrobat and Adobe Reader in their latest updates only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines