• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Glossary entries are not displayed

New Here ,
May 16, 2012 May 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I open the chm from the in Robohelp 8 project window the Glossary tab and entries are correclty displayed. However, ehrn I open the same chm from Windows Explorer the tab displays but no glossary entries are listed; the glossary tab is uniform grey with no list pane. Any ideas on why this is and how to fix it? Thanks, Duncan

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 16, 2012 May 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2012 May 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Rick,

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately registering regsvr32 C:hhactivex.dll hasn’t resolved the problem.

Its odd because the glossary tab and entries display correctly when the chm is viewed from within the Robohelp 8 project window but the same file does not display correctly when opened from Win Explorer – only the tab is displayed and no glossary items.

Duncan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is a 64 bit system involved here? If so, did you follow the link at the end of the thread that Rick pointed you to? It will take you to this thread http://forums.adobe.com/message/3479695#3479695 that explains how to get the 64 bit version of the DLL.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Peter,

Thanks for the link this sounds like exactly my issue as posted by TWRob.

Looks like I need to upgrade to RoboHelp 9 to get hold of the latest dll.

Presumably this means that when I distribute the .chm only those rare users with the latest HHActiveX.dll will be able to view glossary entries?

Thanks,

Duncan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2012 Sep 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I've updgraded to Robohelp v9 and I'm experiencing the same issue -with the Glossary tab blank when viewed from Windows Explorer and visible within the project. Presumably HHActiveX.dll is registered when v9 is installed. Any ideas on what I might try to sort this out?

Thanks,

Duncan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Duncan. you'll still need to download and register the 64 bit version. RH only installs the 32bit version AFAIK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Robo,

Thanks for the resopionse - I've located the dll at C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe RoboHelp 9\Redist\x64\ but when I try and register it I get the following error:

'The module "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe RoboHelp 9\Redist\x64\HHActiveX.dll" may not compatible with the the version of Windows you're running. Check if the module is compatible with an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of regsvr32.exe.'

I am running WIndows 7 64 bit OS so presumably regsvr32.exe is the correct version? Or perhaps the error is caused because the HHActiveX.dll is the wrong version?

What do you think?

Thanks,

Duncan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

make sure you use the regsvr32.exe in the syswow64 folder for registering 32-bit dlls; the "standard" one is the 64-bit version

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Jeff,

Thanks for the information. in the command prompt I changed directory to C:\Windows\SysWOW64 then ran the regsvr32.exe command with the path and ifle HHActiveX.dll and the same error was returned.

Is this the right  way to call the correct regsvr.exe?

Thanks,

Duncan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

might have to put quotes around the path and file name of the dll - might be considered too long to process on a command line

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2012 Sep 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Jeff,

I've been using quotations around the path and file name all along. I copied the dll to the root in consideration of the path length and I still get the same error.

I'mnot sure what to try next.

Duncan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Duncan

From what I'm seeing it would seem the wrong RegSvr EXE is being used. Instead of attempting to locate a specific one to use, why not allow Windows itself to sort things? Just press the Windows logo key followed by R and release both keys. The Run dialog should appear. Then type regsvr32 followed by the quote and path of the HHActiveX file. See if that changes anything.

My thought here is that Windows will simply run whatever the version of RegSvr32 it needs and that might change the playing field a bit.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Rick,

This is the method that I tried initially.

I don't understand why the glossary displays correctly in the project yet is greyed out when i view it from Win Explorer. Frustrating.

Thanks,

Duncan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With your 64 bit o/s the regsrv32.exe in the system folder will be the 64-bit version to use with 64-bit dlls. Doing Start > Run will invoke that one. Make sure you have admin rights on your machine and that you're using a 64-bit version of HH.exe to view the help too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

Yes, that can seem puzzling. And here's the deal. When RoboHelp launches a CHM, it launches the 32 bit version of the CHM viewer. And because RoboHelp has correctly registered the 32 bit version of the HHActiveX.DLL, the terms display and all is well.

When you just double-click a CHM file, Windows opens it using the 64 bit version of the CHM viewer. And because the 64 bit version of the DLL isn't registered, the Glossary fails. Browse Sequences won't work either.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah.

Thanks for the explanation. At least I now know exactly why I'm trying to do what I can't do!

Namely register the 64 bit version.

Duncan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2014 Jul 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guys,

I know this is a pretty old issue now, but I am seeing this issue using RH10 on a 64bit Win7 machine.

It strikes me as pretty ludicrous that this issue still persists.

But is it an Adobe issue or a Windows issue?

If I upgrade to RH11 is this likely to solve the issue?

I'm at a loss to know what to do here.

Just to check my understanding: the only solution is to ask users to manually register this DLL in order to get the Glossary tab to work.

Is that correct?

In my case, I do not have admin rights on this laptop, so I would have to engage our IT department to get this done.

I'm not typically one to whine, but this is nuts, surely?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is right. This has nothing at all to do with Adobe or RoboHelp. This is due to the Microsoft HTML Help engine that RoboHelp has to use to build CHM files. At a previous employer my developers were able to build the installation and registration of the HHACTIVEX.DLL file into the application's install. It is easy to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ummm, I hate to wake and be all disagreeable and all, but Colum, I think you have it backward. It has EVERYTHING to do with Adobe and RoboHelp and NOTHING to do with Microsoft.

The Glossary tab is quite unique to a RoboHelp created CHM and the proprietary HHActiveX.dll is what makes the magick happen.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what you get when you use ancient technology on new-fangled machines (LOL)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp