• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Server home not provided?

Contributor ,
Sep 20, 2012 Sep 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to configure a server in CFBuilder 2 update 1. I'm using a Server Name as localhost and Host Name as localhost. Webserver port is 8500 and no rds info. The part I'm confused about is the server home. I am using IIS so I thought that it would be c:\inetpub and document root of c:\inetpub\wwwroot but I keep getting the error server home hot provided. I'm using CF10. When I try to use c:\ColdFusion10 as a server home I get an invalid error. Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong? CFBuilder is completely new to me. The videos don't help either.

TOPICS
Builder

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 20, 2012 Sep 20, 2012

@skinneyfat, the most common cause of this is that you didn't change "application server" field on the first page in the CFB server setup (the window labeled "Server Settings" when it opens). If the "application server" value is set to JRun, change it to "CF+Tomcat Bundle".

(And for any future readers who would say they don't see that as an option, that means you're still running CFBuilder 2.0, not 2.0.1, which added support for CF10. Skinney has said s/he is running 2.0.1.)

There have been vari

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@skinneyfat, the most common cause of this is that you didn't change "application server" field on the first page in the CFB server setup (the window labeled "Server Settings" when it opens). If the "application server" value is set to JRun, change it to "CF+Tomcat Bundle".

(And for any future readers who would say they don't see that as an option, that means you're still running CFBuilder 2.0, not 2.0.1, which added support for CF10. Skinney has said s/he is running 2.0.1.)

There have been various other threads addressing this specific challenge, and here are two links into specific messages related to this answer in two different threads: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4608853#4608853 and http://forums.adobe.com/message/4545806#4545806.

BTW, you mention being new to CFB, and the “videos” not helping. Good that you found and tried them. Did you know there is a manual for CFB also? http://help.adobe.com/en_US/ColdFusionBuilder/Using/index.html That said, it doesn’t appear to have been updated for 2.0.1, as the section on setting up a server connection (http://help.adobe.com/en_US/ColdFusionBuilder/Using/WS0ef8c004658c1089-38317734121cdfd5fd3-7ffe.html) does not refer to this new cf+tomcat option.

Hope that helps.

/charlie

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for that reply. The problem was solved when I chose "Other" in the application server settings. All the videos I saw said to leave it as jrun which is why I did. When I switched it to other it automatically put c:\inetpub\wwwroot and now it works. But I always thought that it was looking for the CF server, not the web server. I guess that is why I was confused. Thank you for your response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 21, 2012 Sep 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, but I suspect the reason that you had to pick "other" and don't see "cf+tomcat" is that you're running CFB 2.0, not 2.0.1 which added CF10 support. Can you confirm? For the sake of others who may find this thread seeking a solution, if nothing else?

Also, as for why "all the videos" show leaving it is jrun, I suspect the reason is that they, too, were created for the CFB 2.0 version and had not yet been updated.

Anyway, glad to have helped. And I hope others may find this when searching for a solution to the problem. It seems to be catching a lot of people out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EDIT: (For future reference I'm a he )  As far as the videos and the manual and such. Everything I find (including a video by Ben Forta) all refers to CF9. I cannot find any current information about CF10. And everytime I tried to subsitute c:\ColdFusion10 for CF9 (when I saw or read about it) The CFB would throw errors. Everything I saw used JRun as part of the setup, and as I said JRun doesn't work for me...unless I'm still doing something wrong.

EDIT 2: As I was going to uninstall the server that works I noticed that it also wanted me to uninstall the extensions. So apprently I did install them in the c:\inetpub\wwwroot so I don't know why the second server I tried to install wouldn't work.

EDIT 3: When I used the CF+tomcat option with all the other options the same as my original server that worked, I got this error...

[Localhost]:Error(09/21 at 10:41:05) Error retrieving server version. Cannot perform the operation. Check if the server is accessible from web browser.

[Localhost]:Error(09/21 at 10:41:05) Error performing the server operation. Could not find path to jvm.config

So it seems that the CF+tomcat version does not work for me. I followed Ben Forta's video on youtube and just substituted CF10 info when needed.

I do see the CF+tomcat but I just assumed that since it worked my way that there was no need to check. I just checked using the CF+tomcat version and although it did accept all my inputs it gave me 2 errors...

[lh2]:Error(09/21 at 09:57:10) Error retrieving server version. Cannot perform the operation. Check if the server is accessible from web browser.

[lh2]:Error(09/21 at 09:57:10) Error performing the server operation. Could not find path to jvm.config

When it asked me for the server home I put c:\ColdFusion10 and for the document root I put c:\ColdFusion10\cfusion\wwwroot then with install extentions I put the same cfusion\wwwroot and install location is c: but it would not accept those last 2 as the Finish button was still grayed out. but I got this error when trying to start that server test (I had to uncheck the extention installation)...

[lh2]:Error(09/21 at 10:05:24) Error retrieving server version. Cannot perform the operation. Check if the server is accessible from web browser.

[lh2]:Error(09/21 at 10:05:24) Error performing the server operation. Could not find path to jvm.config

When I used "Other" on the server that did work I did not use the install extentions option (I unchecked it) however it did allow me the option to put the information in there and let the server run.  The reason I unchecked the extension installation checkbox is because I didn't know if c:\inetpub\wwwroot was the proper location.

I have no idea if this was the right thing to do. I would also like to know what to do about the extention installation issue. What folder do they go in?

Also, when I tried to make a second server with the same exact information it kept not letting me start the server. It went from unknown to stopped. Then when I tried to start it, it said can't preform this on non-JRun servers.

So that's my story. I hope this helps you and whoever is reading this.

Message was edited by: skinneyfat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now I have a new and confusing problem. I have, for some reason, been able to use the CF+tomcat settings that you suggested. The server is now running and I have absolutely no idea why. The problem I'm having now is that when I make a project and make some files I get the following error when trying to preview it in the CFB internal browser (FF)...

Selected document is not in the document root of the server. If the project is not in the document root, create a linked folder to the document root (select Project > Properties > ColdFusion Project.

OK so when I made the project I unchecked the item that says Use Default Location and put the location to my wwwroot in my IIS server (c:\inetpub\wwwroot). So now the question becomes, since I got it to work the way you specified (again I don't know how) how do I save files in my wwwroot where all my websites are?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you add a linked folder, as it indicates? There could also be other things amiss here, but let’s start with that.

/charlie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I just changed the document root to inetpub\wwwroot and that fixed it. I had wrote a big long response to you but it got erased by the server (some kind of error..how ironic). The short version is, I didn't see any documentation that actually explains what server home is (IIS vs CF) or what you should put for document root. If I missed this part in the manual I'm sorry. I'd also like to know what the difference is between "Other' and "CF+tomcat"? I mean in the end they both worked for me. And can you tell me the proper place to install the Extensions? The default values inputted in the CF Web Root field is inetpub\wwwroot and the install location is inetpub\. Is this a good place to put it?

EDIT: I think my main problem the whole time is the fact that I was trying to use (I think) port 8500 when trying to input CF10 in the server home and port 80 in the inetpub version of my server home. But I can't confirm that as the values are now gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, the docs do discuss it, in the link I offered (http://help.adobe.com/en_US/ColdFusionBuilder/Using/WS0ef8c004658c1089-38317734121cdfd5fd3-7ffe.html) but I did note that it doesn’t appear to have been updated for 2.0.1, so no mention of the “CF+Tomcat Bundle”, but the info on setting the server home and other things should help. There have also been various other resources addressing these settings:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/coldfusion/articles/setup_dev.html

http://blogs.adobe.com/cfbuilder/2009/07/remote_server_setup_is_it_real.html

See also the comments and replies starting here in this blog entry discussing CFB 2.0.1:

http://blogs.coldfusion.com/post.cfm/overview-of-coldfusion-builder-2-0-1-beta#comment-6C4B8F7A-A0DE-99C1-ECDBA4196206B0B6

And I know you said earlier you had viewed the videos, but perhaps your focus then was on the other problem. You may want to revisit them to see if they help focus on this newer problem. In particular, check out:

http://blogs.coldfusion.com/post.cfm/video-how-to-setup-a-project-and-configure-web-server-in-coldfusion-builder

As for the extensions, you can put them in any web-accessible location. They’re CFML pages and CFB executes them like any other pages. And just for completeness’ sake, I’ll note that their installation is also covered briefly in the docs for local and remote servers, respectively:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/ColdFusionBuilder/Using/WS0ef8c004658c1089-38317734121cdfd5fd3-7ffe.html#WS0ef8c004658c108910848bf71239448d50c-7ffc

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/ColdFusionBuilder/Using/WS0ef8c004658c1089-38317734121cdfd5fd3-7ffd.html

Hope that helps.

/charlie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That helps tremendously. I apologize for not seeing the items that would have helped me earlier. I must have gotten so focused on one specific set of search terms that I missed what I needed. But all works well now and I appreciate the links. I will do alot of reading now. Thanks for the help and info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oh wonderful. Great to hear, and happy to help. Thanks for the update.

/charlie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation