11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2017 7:49 AM by nack8

Feather a shape layer

bjgough Level 1

This has to be possible. Right?

I am trying to create a mask for an animated layer. The animated layer is increasing in scale while changing its position to move off the bottom of the composition. I can create a perfect MASK for that layer, but it moves with the layer. If I could lock the mask, that would be great.

So, instead, I am trying to create a TRACK MATTE. The problem is, I can create the right ellipse to MATTE the animating layer underneath. But, I can't soften it's edges. I've tried adding a glow effect, but it's not enough.

I know this is simple. I've spent 45 minutes trying to do it myself and looking for similar questions/posts... but nothing has helped.

• 1. Re: Feather a shape layer
          bjgough Level 1

UPDATE:

Okay, I still don't know if I can feather a Shape Layer.

But, I did finally solve my problem. I don't know if it's the most elegant solution—but, I added a SOLID layer. Created my feather MASK on that layer, and then used the ALPHA TRACK MATTE on my animated layer.

Still curious about feathering shapes....

• 2. Re: Feather a shape layer
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Shape layers cannot be fethered and that is that. Though e.g. applying a Matte Choker effect would give the functionality to some degree...

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Feather a shape layer
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If your shape is a solid just add a blur.

3 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Feather a shape layer
                bjgough Level 1

Ah, that's interesting. I had "thought" down that road with the "Glow" effect, but a blur might be more successful. I wish AE could approach vectors with the same effects that Illustrator can (eg, feather).

• 5. Re: Feather a shape layer
                  bjgough Level 1

Not familiar with Matte Choker. I'll check it out. Thanks for the final confirmation on the Shape Layer limitation. Knowing is half the battle and all that...

• 6. Re: Feather a shape layer
                    Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Feathering in Illustrator just adds a blur that's limited to the boundary of the layer. It also is a raster effect. That means if you bring the an Illustrator layer into AE and push in and expect it to behave like a vector with CR turned on, it won't because Feather changes the layer from a vector to a bitmap.

If you really need a shape layer and you want a fully controllable feathered edge just create a rectangle shape layer, add a mask to the shape layer, then use the Mask Feather tool to control the feathering. You'll end up with far more control than you can get in Illustrator or with a blur, and the layer will still continuously rasterize.

• 7. Re: Feather a shape layer
                      deborahjb1 Level 1

You can blur a shape by using Filter > Blur > Shape Blur. Oddly, you can use any shape in your library to create the blur, but you can find one similar to the shape you're using and it works really well. Just adjust the radius to get the degree of feathering.

• 8. Re: Feather a shape layer
                        Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional
                        You can blur a shape by using Filter > Blur > Shape Blur.

I believe Op wanted a workflow to blur a shape in Ae, not Photoshop.

• 9. Re: Feather a shape layer
                          dsymonds87 Level 1

Yeah just add a Gaussian Blur from the Effects panel to your Shape Layer and it works perfectly! You can adjust what would the "feather" with the "blurriness" slider instead.

• 10. Re: Feather a shape layer
                            johnb35575449 Level 1

that is very helpful thankyou

• 11. Re: Feather a shape layer
                              nack8 Level 1

For anyone like me that arrived here looking for "how to feather a 3D shape layer"

Blur won't work, that was my first instinct, but the shape just simply disappears. I've only tried the most common blurs, but I'll do some more tests. I was able to figure out a few workarounds for now (not gonna type them all out since this doesn't seem to be an issue for anyone but me at the moment), but I'm trying to start using more shape layers in place of solids so I'm sure I'll need a better solution.