New Here ,
Sep 13, 2012 Sep 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FM10 is crashing constantly for months.  I have tried the following:

• MIF wash of all files
  • Rebuild the book file
  • Change default printer
  • Uninstall FM10 and reinstall (including latest patch/update)
  • Inspect ALL x-refs and their targets

There are no other versions of FrameMaker installed on the subject machine (HP Mobile Workstation running Win7 64-bit, with ample RAM and HD space).  There is no peculiar software installed that might interfere with FM and the machine is secure (clear of viruses, malware, etc.).   There is no obvious reason for the crash situation to develop.

If I disable All Cross-Reference in Update Book, FM updates the book fine.  With this option selected, it crashes.

I found rumours online and heard anecdotal reference from experienced FM users about FM10 crashing if Acrobat X is also installed.  I do have Acrobat X installed.  Also, some applications use Adobe Flash.  I am not sure if these are interferring.  Other online references refer to certain internal functions peculiar to laptops cause problems, but solutions are vague.  The IT guy here is stumped.  Could Symantec Endpoint be interfering?

I was contacted by someone in the FrameMaker Engineering team but they wanted all project files sent.  This not reasonably possible due to proprietary info and sheer size of the overall book + files.  Can anyone help?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you mix & matching conditional text and Track Changes? That's been shown to be buggy in FM9 and 10 - there are even reports of FM11 sometimes being tetchy about it too.

If the "bad" project can't be sent, can you create a lorsum fake that blows up (real good, as Bob & Doug McKenzie would say)? Adobe would love to have that one to deconstruct what's going on. I did that for one of my fatal crashes & they've managed to fix it in FM11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I avoid the FM Track Changes; as far as I know, this feature is not ON for any file but I will check.  Content is very conditionalized.

Other books that use most/all of the same FM files do not crash.  So, I am not sure a 'lorsum ipso' populated fake would achieve much, but I'll reconsider it.  The book is also crashing on another HP laptop running Win7 64-bit.

If Adobe would provide an FTP site, and some promise to keep the files secure, I could upload the mega-project for their experimentations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They do - it's called Acrobat.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am looking at Acrobat.com, but cannot see where/how I could provide large FM project to Adobe Support. If SendNow on this website is the mechanism, then it seems one must buy a subscription. Possibly, I am not seeing tree for the forest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sign up for the free account - it gives you 2 GB of file storage - your FM files aren't that large, are they?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should already have a free account with your forum login (I think)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I said the (mega-)project was large. The point is not that each individual FM file is large (some are; some are not), but that altogether they make for a large attachment/upload/whatever, plus hundreds of linked Images.  Thus, there is no easy way to send to Adobe Support the entire book and its files.  2 GB is no where near enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 14, 2012 Sep 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like you’re stuck with creating a baby-book that crashes in the same way for Adobe to chew on

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2012 Sep 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please see also "[FrameMaker General Discussion] Why is FM10 crashing when I change conditional text settings?" where I chimed in with comments and full explanation. There is no solution yet. I am waiting for a response from Adobe Engineering with whom I have been in contact by e-mail. I will post here and to the other Discussion when/if they come up with a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 21, 2012 Sep 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can you please share following info --

1) Was this doc or book oribially created in aprevious release of FM, or the crash is happening with a New Blank document?

2) Is the Book/Document being used is on network?

Can you tell as per your observation what workflow or document results in Crash, is there a pattern in this behaviour with other files?

Thanks,

Anjaneai

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2012 Sep 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are talking about a book with many files. The book was created in FM10. Some files were originally created in FM8; some were created in FM10.  I don't think where they were created at this point is relevant; a MIF wash was performed on all files, which should have eliminated glitches.  Not sure what you mean by the 2nd question.  All books/files are local; decades ago, it was desktop publishing 101 that one avoid running books (or compiling) across a network (i.e. the source files located on another machine/server) since doing so hogged bandwidth and you would left high & dry in the event of a network outage.

As for your last question, I believe this info was provided above or in the other Discussion mentioned.  Please be clearer with your questions if you expect clear answers and take the time to read all the posts including the original.  To repeat: the crash happens when updating the book with All Cross References option checked.  It can also happen sometimes when setting show/hide conditions across the book.

Megha Chaitanya of Adobe engineering is investigating my issue.  I provided her with the project files a week ago and am awaiting a response, hopefully with a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2012 Sep 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Installed trial FM11. It crashes too with the same mega-book. Still awaiting news from Adobe engineering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2012 Sep 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See also Discussion: Framemaker 10 crashes a lot (http://forums.adobe.com/message/3586888#3586888).

That Dicussion mentions Win7 64-bit and Lenovo laptops.  I have the same O/S (Enterprise edition) and an HP Mobile Workstation.  As suggested in this Discussion, or in another, other theories what is causing chronic crashing are: laptop services, a plug-in somewhere, or installed software (maybe Acrobat X, Flash, Symantec Endpoint) is interfering with FM operations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines