8 Replies Latest reply: Sep 22, 2012 4:46 PM by the_wine_snob RSS

Trouble with Video

AlanPezzulich

I have edited video before in CS6  and the first frame was displayed as the thumbnail. Now I am getting a frame from the third video clip that I added. I have a new video cam which shoots at 1080, 60p.

How can I make it choose the first frame for the thumbnail?

• 1. Re: Trouble with Video
          Mylenium ACP/MVPs

It would help if we knew the camera and something about your system...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Trouble with Video
            the_wine_snob Community Member

Along with Mylenium's questions, please go into detail about the video files, that your camera produces, in as much detail, as is possible.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Trouble with Video
              AlanPezzulich Community Member

The camera is a Panasonic HDC-HS900 producing MTS files. The computer is a Dell Studio XPS 435T. The edited video looks correct. The thumbnail is not.

• 4. Re: Trouble with Video

Thank you for that info.

One more quick question: does your Exported Video start with a fade from black?

Also, the thumbnail display for Video can differ via format and CODEC, plus also the program that is being used, whether Windows Explorer, Bridge, ThumbsPlus, IrfanView, etc.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Trouble with Video

Exported video does not start with a fade from black. I looked at the thumbnails that the camera produces and they do not correspond to the first frame. There appears to be no pattern as to where the thumbnail is in the clip. I tried cutting a clip to two frames and useing that as the starting clip. It did not make a difference. I also started with a blank canvas. It didn't work either.  Right now I am starting with five clips straight from the camera. The rendered video is correct. Still can't get the thumbnail right.

• 6. Re: Trouble with Video

Where are you looking at the thumbnails?

Some programs will show the first Frame, regardless of what it is. Some will go to beyond any Dip-to-Black, and show the first full Frame. A few will not show any thumbnails (usually depends of format/CODEC), and a few others seem to pick a random Frame, that might be well into the footage.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Trouble with Video

I am looking at the bridge thumbnails. My wife is in charge of a website and she will get them from my folder. I thought the first frame should be displayed since that is what happened with my still camers when shooting video. I will just have to send her a seperate jpeg to go with each video. Thank you both for your effort and information.

Alan

• 8. Re: Trouble with Video

Alan,

Now I am using an older version of Bridge, but with some flavors of MPEG, I get no thumbnails, even when the first Frame is not black (no Fade In).

Usually, DV-AVI's and WMV's display the first Frames, and some MPEG's do too.

I can only speculate on the reasons for a lack of thumbnail, and that starts with the way that the file headers are written - perhaps something missing, or not recognized? Next, MPEG (like several other formats/CODEC's) is a GOP (Group of Pictures) structure, so for about every 15 Frames, one has only 1 I-Frame (with the full visual information), and then ~ 15 "difference Frames," that reference back to the changes from that previous I-Frame. That means that if the cataloging program does NOT focus on that first Frame, then all it sees are the difference Frames, and there is no real image. See this article: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2722719#2722719

Remember, that is but speculation.

Good luck,

Hunt