8 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2017 1:04 PM by jorge.bautista

Library file is 'already open by another user or another application'

alidabbs Level 3

One of our InDesign Library files has become locked and none of us can touch it any more. Any attempt to open it produces the message 'This file is already open by another user or application. This file may be stored on a network server and cannot be opened until the other user closes it.'

Indeed the file is on a network server but it's in the same folder as a bunch of other InDesign Library files that were in use at the same time as the troublesome file, but none of which cause us any problems. When we try to duplicate this one Library file or copy it to another location, we get the message (in Windows 7)  'File In Use. The action can't be completed because the file is open in another program. Close the file and try again.'

We've checked practically every computer with access to this network share - no-one has the Library open. So we got everyone to quit InDesign anyway. We got everyone to log out. We got everyone to restart their PCs. We got everyone to kill their InDesign Preferences. No joy.

Could anyone here shed any light on what's going on and what I can do to get at this naughty file?

Thanks,

Ali

• 1. Re: Library file is 'already open by another user or another application'
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Have you tried rebooting the server?

• 2. Re: Library file is 'already open by another user or another application'
            alidabbs Level 3

Hmm. Even restarting the specific NAS share would kick hundreds of users offline for a couple of minutes. I was hoping for a simpler, more direct solution for unlocking one little file without drawing attention to myself!

Thanks for the suggestion, though. I'll do it as a last resort.

Ali

• 3. Re: Library file is 'already open by another user or another application'
              mckayk_777 Level 2

turn hidden files on and look for a temp file in that directory if there are any delete them and try again

• 4. Re: Library file is 'already open by another user or another application'
                alidabbs Level 3

Thank you for the suggestion, McKayK. There are no hidden files in that directory as it turns out but it was worth trying.

Ali

• 5. Re: Library file is 'already open by another user or another application'
                  mckayk_777 Level 2

Only other thing i can think of is that it is open on another machine someplace, i have had it where indesign does not show a library file panel but is still open all the same, if you go to window it will show you there the libraries that are open on each machine, don't envy that job at all thou, sounds like you have a few computers to check.

• 7. Re: Library file is 'already open by another user or another application'
                    Randy Hagan Adobe Community Professional

@alidabbs, jorge.bautista -- I've got an answer for you, but you're probably not going to like it ...

Someone in the organization has opened the Libraries panel and dragged it over into the Side Dock for easy access. You're not going to see the library is open, because it's "hidden" in the side dock until somebody clicks the label/icon for the panel and it's visible when the panel pops out onscreen.

Your systems aren't lying to you, because once the offending operator fires up InDesign, the offending library is actually open. Your operators aren't lying to you, because they don't see it open on their screens because it's hidden in the Side Dock.

But it is ... somewhere ... whenever the offending user opens InDesign. This situation used to happen periodically, but it's become more frequent -- if not prevalent -- with InDesign CC2015/2017, which by default opens the CC Libraries panel upon startup. Some operators save themselves from the aggravation by moving the panel into the Side Dock so it's out of the way. And since any and all InDesign library files open in the Libraries panel, and library "assignments" (for lack of a better term) are sticky -- they don't turn off unless you specifically close them by clicking on the "x" icon in the appropriate library tab inside the panel -- the problem continues under the surface of your users' system interface.

So, that's the problem. How the heck do you fix it? It's a two-step solution:

1) You've got to open InDesign on each machine, then open the Library panel in the Side Dock until you finally find the offending system. If you're looking to speed up the process of elimination, I'd start with a) whoever leaves their system on all the time, and if that doesn't reveal the unknowing perpetrator b) whoever gets in earliest and fires up their computer first. When you hunt down the unwitting culprit, kill it. Your library will now be available across the network. But only for the first person who selects it. Which leads to ...

2) Take the .indl library file off the network. First drag the library off to a local drive, and relink all the library elements to their respective network locations. This creates a .indl file with correct relative addressing to network assets. Then distribute/duplicate that updated local library to the same local drive location for each and every user. The files/resources stored in the library can be stored on network drives -- library entries are simply markers which refer to a relative network address, then use that location for drag'n'drop placement of resources by the InDesign user.

This will cure the problem, at the expense of variations of library contents between users. The only solution I've found for that issue is periodic consolidation/change updates/redistribution of the local libraries if/when those variations become a problem.

This should get you past your problems. Ask me how I know ...

Randy

• 8. Re: Library file is 'already open by another user or another application'
                      jorge.bautista Level 1

Randy Hagan, thank you very much for so detailed answer, we are going to consider it.

In case we find another solution/workaround, I'll post it in this same forum.

Regards,