Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Tutorials without spoken Sound - Clicks only

New Here ,
Dec 02, 2006 Dec 02, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I installed Captivate2 as demo on Win XP pro (German) on Intel Pentium D 3,0, using a Plantronics DSP-100 USB-headset.
I want to hear sound when watching the tutorials - and there is spound: only the mouse-clicks of the tutorials. I would like it more to hear the spoken words of the tutorials ;-)
Recording works fine, I can record sound with that headset and I can hear the recorded sound well - so there is no problem with the headset or the general sound config.

10 minutes later (edited:)
Really strage:
When I start the Tutorial "Audio" in "Weitere Funktionen" (Further Functions ?), there is, nearly all the time, only the click sound. But in the middle of the tutorial, at 21/83, just one short sequence, there is the spoken sound, clearly and as it should be:
"Click the eyxe Icon to hide a layer.", after the tutorial says that I shall click the record button.
This is the only sentence to be heared in the whole tutorial - strange....

Then I found a link in this forum to a Site
http://www.raisingaimee.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=22&Itemid=29
The sound at the home-site: loud and clear.

After that I went to the Introduction of captivate 2 at
http://www.raisingaimee.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=29&Itemid=28
There was a gflash film introducing captivate2. I can see the film - but again there is no sound.

Adobe says that I have Flash 9,0,16,0.

Could someone help me, please ?
Thank you...

Another 20 Minutes later (edited:)

The more time I spend to (try to) solve the problem the more I get the idea that adobe is still trying to sell stuff that simply doesnt work. Every time I am looking for captivate on the Adobe Homepage, tehre is no captivate.
Then I found, that all the samples installed with captivate2 demo do not have sound files.
Sorry guys, I dont want to spend that much money and then spend that much time to solve problems I woiuldnt habve if I wouldnt have spend that much money.
Gonna check TurboDemo and others, this stuff is too near to GoLive - that didnt work either, and I still remember my problemy trying to interes adobe in solving the software-problems there.
TOPICS
Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi HaraldBrennecke and welcome to our community

I'm a bit confused here. Is the issue:

a: You are not sure how to go about adding audio narration to your Captivate project?

or is it:

b: You added the audio to a project, but when you play it back you aren't hearing audio?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

none of both:
I just installed Captivate2 and wanted to see (and hear) the tutorials - but they do not have sound.
Do I have to add something to hear sound of captivate ?
Why do I hear sound if I record sound then ?

I even tried to record a demo about how to record something with captivate (and with sound) but captivate doesnt recorde himself. Frustrating.

What makes me think, is, that I do not hear sound of the captivate-demo oft that site raisingaimee.co, i can hear any other sound (of the same site) which was not recorded with captivate.
Problem with flash ?
I just even updatet flash - but no change.
Working with Skype all the time - never had problems with my usb-headset.
Any problems known with Captivate and skype ?

Thanks,

Harald

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2006 Dec 03, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

i asked a friend to check the flash-intro of captivate2 at the site
http://www.raisingaimee.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=29&Itemid=28.
He doesn't hear anything, too.

So it seems to be a problem of captivate2 to generate viedos without sound.

If even Adobe isn't able to generate the captivate-owned tutorials properly with sound, how should a user get along with that ?
Sorry for this - but adobe wants to earn money with that and I should pay. Who pays my hours of problem-solving for adobe ?

Harald

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again Harald

Is it possible you are becoming confused by the playback control bar?

I ask because the site you are referencing is offered and maintained by fellow Adobe Community Expert Paul Dewhurst. The video he presents at http://www.raisingaimee.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=29&Itemid=28 does not have any audio that he recorded. He only demonstrates a few features that are new to Captivate 2. As audio isn't new, I'm guessing he didn't feel the need to include or add audio. The new playback controls offer a Mute button. You may turn this button off or on so it isn't included when you publish a movie. Simply because it is present doesn't mean the Captivate movie contains audio. I see Paul left the button turned on and showing in this demo. This made me wonder if your reaction is what it is.

The tutorials have very little audio. Even the audio tutorial is sparse. But Captivate does do audio.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

maybe you'r right - I quite usually am confused - even when not working on software... ;-)

May I ask you two simple Yes/No-Questions to eliminate any missunderstandings ?

1.:
If you start the tutorial "Audio" - is it normal, to hear only mouseclicks on the first slides ?

2.:
Is it meant to be, that the user only hears one single sentence on the audio-tutorial - which is "Click the eye icon to hide a layer" at 21/83 ?

If both answers are yes:
I am confused because I wouldn't have thought one second about the possibility, Adobe could build this huge machine to generate visual-and-audio-multimedia-flash-making-machine an not use it itself to show how much better video works if it is supported by audio.
Suggestion to Adobe to eliminate those missunderstandings:
Integration of a tiny audio-meter in the playback-controls, which shows, if audio ist contained. (Audio-Meter should show sound even if Audio-Mute is on).

If both answers are no:
I am confused because the mute-button on my playback-controls is off (so audio ist on).
What else could solve the problem then ?

Cheers too....
Harald

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again Harald

1. If you start the tutorial "Audio" - is it normal, to hear only mouseclicks on the first slides ?

LOL, well if I had been recording a Captivate movie about Audio, I personally would have probably narrated the entire thing. But in this case, the person that recorded this movie apparently opted on the side of "audio brevity" and didn't record much voiceover.

2. Is it meant to be, that the user only hears one single sentence on the audio-tutorial - which is "Click the eye icon to hide a layer" at 21/83 ?

Again, I'm only guessing that the person that recorded this only opted to include the audio he did. If you watch the video long enough, he does have another audio segment that occurs at slide 81.

As for your suggestion to Adobe, you would be better served to use this link, as it will end up in a place the developers can see. (These forum posts don't).

If you want to see Captivate in action with audio, try clicking here

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Harald,

quote:

1. If you start the tutorial "Audio" - is it normal, to hear only mouseclicks on the first slides ?
2.:Is it meant to be, that the user only hears one single sentence on the audio-tutorial - which is "Click the eye icon to hide a layer" at 21/83 ?

I have worked on many projects like this one, where for one reason or another there is only a very limited amount of disk space available for tutorials on the installer and let's face it audio does have a dramatic effect on the Captivate project file size.

The aim of this tutorial is to demonstrate how to create and edit audio in Adobe Captivate 2 which the tutorial does. I think that you will find that the author of these project files was instructed by a manager on the Adobe Captivate 2 team how much audio could be included in the tutorial. I am sure that if more space had been left in the installer.exe that they would have included additional narrative.

We all sometimes have to be prepared to work under certain constraints at sometime.

Regards,
Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

LOL too - wouldn't have thought this could be possible...

You seem to be quite "inside" - do you know, who to talk to at Adobe to think about it ?
My english isn't good enough and I don't see it as my business - spent enough time on this already...

Thanky a lot for your help.

Cheers !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2006 Dec 04, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Marc,

we are developing al little bit of software either, so I know that restrictions are what we have to take sometimes.

But these are my points:

1.:
No problem if there are restrictions.
Big problem if user isn't told.

(By the way: If installer.exe to big, so why no download for the soundfiles ?)

2.:
We want to buy a software to generate multimedia projects (and we need audio)

If a developer of such software decides, that the tutorials of the software would get too big, if they would really use the audio-features of the software, what else can I do but think my thoughts and dicide, that this software probably may be able to generate projects, but they are obiously just too big to use it really ?

So why should I pay for a software that produces projects which are even in the own thoughts of the developer too big to give them to the user ?

As I found, that the developer of a software doesn't inform me about his own restrictions in this case, although I only expected the software to do what the developer tells it should be good for, what will I find next not to be informed about ?

And how much time will I have to spent then to find out that Adobe thinks, its no bug but a feature ?

(Sorry for my english)

Regards,

Harald

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 04, 2006 Dec 04, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hello Harald,

Please contact me off-list and I will be happy to provide you with some additional information relating to this project. My email address is mf@mark-fletcher.co.uk.

Regards,
Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources