8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2013 5:56 AM by JJMack

Unable to scale shape layer's layer mask independent from shape

KrisHunt Level 4

In Photoshop CS6, when you have a shape layer with a layer mask, and the two are not linked together, and the layer mask is selected, you should be able to scale the layer mask independently of the shape. What actually happens is the shape gets scaled and the layer mask stays untouched. In fact, even if you option-click on the layer mask to show the mask by itself, and then try to scale it, you still end up scaling the shape instead of the mask. Even if you go as far as to make a pixel selection of the layer mask and attempt to scale the pixels, the shape still gets scaled and the layer mask still stays put! Unbelievable!

This works correctly in CS4, but not in CS6 (don't know about CS5).

• 1. Re: Unable to scale shape layer's layer mask independent from shape
          c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

Deselect the Path in the Paths Panel (edited).

• 2. Re: Unable to scale shape layer's layer mask independent from shape
            KrisHunt Level 4

You're right, thanks. Although I am correct to say that simply clicking on the layer mask should not select the shape's path in the Paths palette. That needs to be fixed; it never did that in Photoshop CS4.

• 3. Re: Unable to scale shape layer's layer mask independent from shape
              JJMack Most Valuable Participant

CS6 changed the way it displaye shape layers in the layers palette removed the vector mask icon.  You can force CS6 to make Shapes layer some what like previous releases where the vector layer mask icon is visible in the layers palette then it can be targeted in the tayers palette and transformed.

CS6Shape.jpg

• 4. Re: Unable to scale shape layer's layer mask independent from shape
                KrisHunt Level 4

Sorry, I'm talking about raster layer masks, and it's the vector mask that I don't want to transform.

• 5. Re: Unable to scale shape layer's layer mask independent from shape
                  conroy Level 5

In case it affects your workflow soon, there's a related problem. When the raster mask is linked to the Shape and you do want both the Shape and raster mask to be transformed, you must deselect the path of the Shape for the raster Mask to be transformed along with the Shape.

The root problem is that when you target a Shape layer or its raster mask in CS6, the vector path is automatically selected and it becomes the sole target for a transform. The path needs to be deselected for either the raster mask alone or the combined Shape and raster mask to be the transform target.

In 13.0, a Shape's path would be made visible when the Shape was targeted regardless of the active tool. 13.0.1 improved on this by only making the path visible when a vector tool was active. Unfortunately, the path is still automatically selected, although now invisible, when a Shape or its raster mask is targeted with any tool active.

Adobe have tried to pretend that CS6 Shape layers are a new special type of layer when, in reality, they are still the old Fill layer with vector mask with a new stroke attribute. The botched pretense has created a heap of inconsistencies, inconveniences and workflow breakdowns.

• 6. Re: Unable to scale shape layer's layer mask independent from shape

KrisHunt wrote:

In Photoshop CS6, when you have a shape layer with a layer mask, and the two are not linked together, and the layer mask is selected, you should be able to scale the layer mask independently of the shape. What actually happens is the shape gets scaled and the layer mask stays untouched. In fact, even if you option-click on the layer mask to show the mask by itself, and then try to scale it, you still end up scaling the shape instead of the mask. Even if you go as far as to make a pixel selection of the layer mask and attempt to scale the pixels, the shape still gets scaled and the layer mask still stays put! Unbelievable!

Unbelievable No your talking CS6 after all.  However I do see the problem while the Ftee Transform Tool has a Problem doing the job CS6 move tool can do the job look here. [ JJMack ]

Shape Layer with unlinked raster layer mask.

UnlinkedLM.jpg

Alt+click on layer mask to target it and display it

AltClick.jpg

Use Move tool check show transform and transform layer mask

movetransform.jpg

Result

result.jpg

• 7. Re: Unable to scale shape layer's layer mask independent from shape
                      rroyee

JJMack, please please tell me how you have converted the icon back to a color swatch??

thanks in advance

-r

• 8. Re: Unable to scale shape layer's layer mask independent from shape

If you create a shape layer the way Adobe does Photoshop CS6 will display it its new way.  Photoshop's way adds a new fill layer with a vector layer mask and just displays an icon that looks like the shape in the layers palette as the layers content. 

If you want the old look you need to create the shape layer differently.  If you look at the append I made closely you will see that while it looks like the old way of displaying  a shape layer what I did was to add a new empty layer and fill it with a color.  Its not an actual Photoshop fill layer. Then I added the vector layer mask to the layer it looks like Photoshop old way of displaying a shape layer.  IMO it is a shape layer however Photoshop does not see it as one. So it displays the layer content as a solid color and its vector mask in the layers palette much like it use to display shape layers in the layer where the contents was a fill layer which has a vector layer mask.

I'm sorry if my append made you think there was a Photoshop setting or option to get the old way back..