• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Presenter 8 freeze/crash when trying to edit/play audio or sync animations to audio

Sep 24, 2012 Sep 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running the Presenter 8 trial on Windows 7 64-bit and everythign worked great initially.

WORKS:

• recording audio in PowerPoint
  • editing audio recorded in PowerPoint using the Presenter "Edit" tool
  • synchronizing audio recorded in PowerPoint with animations -- as long as all animations are "on click" (a known issue: http://helpx.adobe.com/presenter/kb/top-issues-presenter-8.html)
  • importing WAV or MP3 audio files instea dof recoridng directly in PowerPoint

DOES NOT WORK:

• playing or editing imported audio in PowerPoint
  • synchronizing animations to imported audio

I have been unsuccessful in discovering a workaround. I am pretty proficiant in the many tricks and workarounds in Presenter 7, but Presenter 8 is new (ish) and I'm on a dealdine, so troubleshooting is not going well. Please help if you can!

TOPICS
Presenter

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 25, 2012 Sep 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the issue you have with audio recorded/imported into the presentation using the Insert Media tool in PPT? You will need to import the audio to Presenter before you will be able to use the Edit or Sync tools in Presenter with those audio files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Jorma, thaks for your input. Allow me to be more specific: The Audio Import feature in PowerPoint seems to work fine. I have tried this with both WAVs and MP3s. I used Presenter 7 for years and knew it very well. I had my favorite workarounds for its many bugs. I was hoping that Presenter 8 would be less buggy, but it is appearing to be more of the same... but different.

In Presenter 8, importing audio correctly creates a folder with the same name as the PPTX in the same directory that the PPTX is saved. Audio in that folder also copies and is renamed with a numeric file name. The waveform also appears correctly in the Audio Edit window. However, when trying to Sync or play the audio in the Edit tool, PowerPoint freezes and the plugin crashes. I'll wait for a few minutes as my Windows 7 mouse cursor turns into the rotating loop timer icon, and then will be prompted that Powerpoint needs to close. Upon re-starting powerPoint, I'm asked if i want to disable the plugin. Doing so, then manually re-enabling, saving, exiting, restarting and trying to work in presenter 8 again gives me the same results.

The audio, if imported, will not only not play, but will crash the plugin. However, if I publish or preview the PowerPoint presentation, the audio is converted/generated and plays just fine in the resulting SWF.

When I recorded auio myself while synchrinizing animations, the audio associated with that slide worked as it should; it is only when i use audio that i have imported does it go wrong. In scouring the forums, i came across a sort of similar issue with an earlier version of Presenter 7 -- adobe released two alternate DLLs that, when downloaded, and saved to overwrite the existing ones, repaired the issue. However Presenter 8 is so new and my deadline for this project is so close that i'll be happy to jsut find a workaround.

What i am doing currently is manually moving each animation click stick in the Edit tool WITHOUT playing the audio. i am comparing the waveform of the audio in Audacity to the waveform in the Edit tool and dragging the click sticks to synch the animations. This takes about 3 times longer than jsut doing it as it is supposed to be done. But it works.

interesting additional discoveries:

• known issue about audio/animation synch only working when animations are set to 'on click" is true... if synching conventionally
  • if synching using my compare-and-slide workaround, you CAN have animations "with previous" and "afte rprevious" and also 'on click with delay" ... rudimentary testing shows this, however i have not et done more thurough testing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That makes more sense, thanks for the indepth description.

Do you have a differnet experence between importing WAV or MP3? It doesn't sound like you do, but that would be good information for the rest of us.

Also, did you apply the 8.0.1 update that came out early last week? It fixed "many critical bugs", and I'm currious if you find this issue is fixed. Adobe updted this document to reflect 8.0.1, but and I don't see the issue you have on the list, but that also doesn't mean it wasn't fixed.

http://helpx.adobe.com/presenter/kb/top-issues-presenter-8.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Jorma.

Yes, the WAV and MP3 imports result in the same type of crashes -- they indistinguishable in that sense.

I thought I WAS running 8.0.1, but as I am just using the free trial, I cannot find where to download the update. I started the free trial 16 days ago, and at that time, 8.0.1 was already up, so I had assumed that whatever version was being supplied for the trial was the most up-to-date version.

I am glad for the trials, because I'd have hated to waste my money upgrading for a finicky product. I hated working with Presenter 7, but because we bought it and it really is the best at what it does (when it works) we resigned ourselves to using workarounds with Presenter 7 for three years. If Presenter 8 fails to rectify all the issues experienced in Presenter 7, This is one customer who will be taking my money elsewhere.

But back to the point: have you a URL that would allow me to download the 8.0.1 patch? or does the patch only work for customers who have purchased the product?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can verify the version of Presenter with the Presenter > Help > About Adobe Presenter option. If you just see Presenter 8 build XXX, then you are on 8.0.0 (I've never trusted .0 releases, from any software manufacturer, as they always have issues). If you need to update, just go back into the Help dropdown and you should see a check for updates option and it will use the adobe updater application to find, download and install the Presenter updates (close PPT after you check for updates so it can install them).

Presenter Help Menu.jpg

Presenter Version.JPG

The updates are not exclusive to non-trial versions, so you should get the update. I don't believe there is an installer to go directly to 8.0.1 (Adobe rarely makes a new installer unless there is an explicit need), so always with Adobe products, check for updates!

You can also just run the Adobe Applicaton Manager directly. Just open the start menu and then type Adobe Application Manager in the search field, and you should see it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Jorma, I updated successfully.

The audio freeze/crash still occurs, however  

I tried starting a new PPTX document as well as trying ti out on the exisitng project. Hmm. sads! I am asusming this must only be me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I doubt that it is only you.

I have seen Presenter 8 delete all the silence for slides when I record or import audio, and then when I try to play the audio back (in the Edit, Record or Sync tools), Presenter crashes at the end of the audio. Not the same, but a problem none the less. Adobe Support and the Product team to watch these forums, so they may have more insight and may chime in to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2012 Dec 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm having the exact same issue with presenter 8. When opening old project (sometime they are in .ppt) the system ask me to saved them back and reopen PowerPoint. When I reboot my laptop the problem disapear when I reopen the saved document under pptx format. The day after (when after I have rebooted my laptop) the same problem reappear and the problem could get corrected the same way...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2012 Dec 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Could it be related with my companie virus scan system ??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Can you please mail the presentation as a presenter package to mkalyanp@adobe.com

It would help us to solve your issue

Thanks

Mahesh Nayak

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources