• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Synchronize Table of Contents Automatically not expanding TOC tree

Contributor ,
Sep 20, 2012 Sep 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Users tell me that some years ago context-sensitive help would expand the TOC tree and select the target topic. Current behavior (RH9) is the "book" is selected but not expanded.

Is there some way to get the old behavior back?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 20, 2012 Sep 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but my crystal ball is on the fritz and my psychic skills are sub-par.

One might assume you are referring to WebHelp as the issue was posted in the WebHelp forum category. But what version of RoboHelp is being used please?

Generally speaking, if this is WebHelp, there is an option in the Single Source Layout recipe that governs TOC Synchronization. Exactly where will depend on the version of RoboHelp being used.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 24, 2012 Sep 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like I said, RH9. WebHelp Settings > Navigation > Synchronize Table of Contents is enabled and set to Automatically. The correct "book" is selected in the tree but the tree is not expanded, same behavior in Firefox, Chrome, and IE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 24, 2012 Sep 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it mysteriously begin working after you have had it open for a while?

I ask, because the default setting for WebHelp is that the navigational elements are broken into smaller chunks during the generation process. And it's not uncommon for the TOC to fail synchronization early when opening the help but begin working later.

To change that behavior, one needs to enable the speed setting of "Local PC or Intranet" as shown below.

*NOTE: Click the image below for larger and clearer view.

tmp1.PNG

This causes the TOC, Index, Glossary and Search to be contained in larger single files. The trade-off is that it takes longer for the TOC, Index, Glossary and Search to appear, but the TOC synchronization typically then works.

Hope this helps... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 25, 2012 Sep 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I changed the Optimize Speed setting, tree still doesn't expand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 27, 2012 Sep 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Do you get the same problem with the sample projects?

Click Open on the RoboHelp Starter page and then click Samples in the ribbon on the left.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp