• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't open InDesign 5.5 file in CS5.5

New Here ,
Sep 27, 2012 Sep 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We've received a set of InDesign files from a designer which has been created in CS5.5.  I just tried to open the indd file on our production laptop, using InDesign CS5.5 and I'm getting an error message 'CannotConvertNewerDocument'. 

I can't understand why this might be happening - I've tried searching forums but can't seem to find anyone else with the same issue.  Has anyone else come across this?

The laptop is running Windows 7.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 27, 2012 Sep 27, 2012

As Bob says, it's CS6. Your computer doesn't have CS6, so Windows tells you its CS5.5 because that's the only thing it knows.

Either upgrade to CS6, or ask your supplier to export the files to .idml for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because it’s a CS6 document, not a CS5.5 document.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Bob says, it's CS6. Your computer doesn't have CS6, so Windows tells you its CS5.5 because that's the only thing it knows.

Either upgrade to CS6, or ask your supplier to export the files to .idml for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the speedy reply but that's not the case.  It's not a CS6 document.  Unless the designer, with CS5.5 was able to save the file as a CS6 document?  When I inspect the properties of the file, it also confirms it's a CS5.5 document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you not read Peter's post? Your computer knows nothing of CS6 so it tells you it's a CS 5.5 file but it's CS6.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right - sorry, I missed that part of Peter's post.  I'll investigate further with the designer.

Thank you Peter for the helpful instruction re how to solve the problem, if that turns out to be the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use Bridge to inspect the file version, the metadata of the file will let you know the exact version. Just open the indesign file in Bridge and inspect metadata.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent advice!  I keep forgetting to mine Bridge for the metadata.  Thanks so much for that - no longer any need to wait for the designer to get back to me 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 28, 2012 Sep 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since I have CS6 installed on all my boxes now I can't verify if Prashant is correct, but I beleive he is. For those without Bridge, Jongware has written a script that will identify the version for you: Adobe Forums: [Ann] Identify Your InDesign File

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2012 Oct 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another application I have used (back when running several different versions of CS progams simultaneously) was SOXY. This application recognizes the different versions of the file types, and does not open all INDD, AI,  documents only in the latest version (when you double-click a document), but opens them in the correct version (or based on how you set the preferences). May be helpful to printers etc who work with clients using different versions of Indesign or to a lesser degree, Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2013 Nov 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there,

I'm getting the same message, 'CannotConvertNewerDocument', but in this case it's my own file! I created it some months ago and I did NOT update my Adobe version in the past half year. How is this possible? And how can I solve it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure you didn't download a CS6 or CC demo and save it in there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I'm sure...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to put it in a dropbox folder and post a link I'll take a

look at it here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/b07q8kl2z7skwfe/E1DDdmvceL

As Prashant adviced above, I opened the file in Bridge to check which version it is. It does not only say that it's a CS6 file, but it even says that I created it in Windows...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Meaningless unless you have CS6 installed.

Give me a few minutes to look at it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely saved as CS6:

save in cs6.png

Here's your IDML file which should open fine. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2548785/ABSINT9vaknr.idml

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you very much!
I still don't understand how this is possible, since I clearly remember saving it on my own Macbook in CS5.5. But now it's solved, I won't have to think about it anymore anyway, haha. Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines