• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Conditional Build RH9

Participant ,
Sep 28, 2012 Sep 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am applying conditional build tags to several topics. I have two separate publishing destinations for Webhelp output. One should display the tagged topics, and the other should not. It appears as though I have to go in there and change the settings each time I publish.

There are two Content Categories in Webhelp Settings:

• "Underwriting,"  the default for our internal online help. I created a Single Source Layout path to publish it to the "Internal" file directory. When I want to publish here, I check the INTERNAL server in Webhelp Settings > Publish.
  • "Brokers," the version that has to have several topics blocked. I set it up to publish to the "Broker" file directory. When I want to publish here, I check the EXTERNAL server in Webhelp Settings > Publish.

The Broker content category has the conditional tag "NOT Brokers." The Underwriting content category does not have any conditional tags.

The only way it seems to work properly is if I go into Content Categories and set the default to Brokers, and then go into Publish and check the external server. Then I have to go in and change the default back to Underwriting and go into Publish to select the internal server.

Is there any way to set this up so Robohelp knows what goes where without me having to fiddle with the defaults and publishing settings every single time? Ideally, I would like to be able to check both the internal and the external file server on the Publish screen and upload them both at once, and have the correct data blocked from the external drive. Is this possible?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

It seems that maybe you aren't understanding how the Content Categories feature works.

What you do is to configure a situation where multiple types of content exist in your project. This might be using Conditional Build Tags (CBT) to exclude certain topics from the build and it might simply be that you have different Tables of Contents and Indices in use.

If using CBT to control topics, you then need to configure the proper Build Expression in each of the Content Categories you define. If using different TOCs and Indices, you also specify the TOC or Index you want affiliated with each Content Category.

When you generate, you end up with that drop-down list that lets your user choose which set of content to view.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't want external customers to select a view from a dropdown list that allows them to see certain topics. So I guess what I'm asking for is functionality that assigns visibility to a topic when I say so. You're saying Robohelp doesn't do this unless I go through the steps of changing the settings and the publishing destination each time. Am I correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

That's correct. If you want certain information excluded and in no way found, you exclude it with a CBT and a build expression, create that output and point them only to that output. It's like restricting them to one room in your house.

Where the Content Categories might be useful would perhaps be in a call center that specializes in geographical areas. You have an overall category where the entire United States is visible, then you have other categories in the drop-down that allow filtering to only Central, West or East regions. That helps eliminate the "clutter" of things they may not be interested in.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what I was afraid of. It's easier than maintaining two separate projects, but there's a lot of room for error if I ever happen to click the wrong default and wrong output server.

Thanks for the clarification!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 30, 2012 Sep 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to state that if you set up two Single Source Layouts, each has its own Build Expression (conditional tags) and Publishing location, so no risk of publishing to the wrong place or with the wrong topics.

(Although I've never used Content Categories, so may be missing something relating to that...)

Amebr

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tested further. Is there any way to disable the Content Category dropdown? When I apply tags to both projects, that dropdown displays and I need for it to NOT display because external customers absolutely cannot have access to internal data. If I can't disable it, is maintaining two separate projects my only option?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

The way you turn it off is to remove all but the default category. With only a single category, you won't get the drop-down.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 01, 2012 Oct 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right. I need to exclude topics from BOTH sets of output, so I can't remove all but the default category and disable the dropdown, and therefore it is not going to work. Too bad, really. I'm back to maintaining two separate but nearly identical projects, and there's no way around it. Off to post this to the Robohelp Wish Form.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you have missed Amber's point. In a project you can have two WebHelp layout's with different configuration. What is wrong with that?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, I already tested that. See above. Doing that gives me the dropdown so each audience can view the other's output - not acceptable - unless only ONE of the projects contains conditional formatting. Then it's okay, but that isn't what I need. I need to exclude topics from BOTH projects, and there can be NO DROPDOWN. So it didn't work.

Thanks though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you are still missing the point.

Take the project and edit the Content Categories to remove all but the default. That will remove the drop-down.

Then you create a second Single Source Layout. Within each of the two Single Source Layouts you specify the Build Expression. Layout one removes certain topics and layout two removes the other certain topics.

You then publish each layout to a different location (two WebHelp outputs).

That way you are only maintaining ONE project, but with conditional tagging, you remove the topics that the user should not see.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for clarifying.  I'll give it a shot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tested that. I still get the dropdown. So you get the same results by creating two Single Source Layouts as you do when you create two Content Categories. Too bad, really. I was hoping that would be the fix. Thanks though!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two layouts each with one category.

If you get the dropdown, it means your layout has more than one category.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right. I just figured that out - I'd removed the second content category from one project but not the other. When I performed the text, I thought I was in the right project, but I wasn't. So when I realized it, I retested it, and it worked! Thanks everyone!

I'd still like to do it in one publishing action and have Robohelp upload both outputs at once without me having to reset the defaults (the reason I created this thread), because the first thing I did was click an output and forget to reset it as the default. Consequently I published the wrong one and had to go back and do it over (I can see doing that a lot if I'm in a hurry). But at least I don't have to maintain two projects.

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You set each layout with its required settings. You do that once.

Sure you have to generate each layout or use File > Generate > Batch Generate.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

THAT'S what I was looking for! I didn't know about the Batch Generate feature, I only knew what I wanted to be able to do! Thanks! Perfect!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp