Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Input type in master text frame

Engaged ,
Oct 01, 2012 Oct 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Is it possible to define a text frame in a master page and be able to input text in the frame in the actual document, without unlinking the text frame from its master?

This is for CS4.

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Oct 01, 2012 Oct 01, 2012

It depends on the nature of your question. You have to override the frame on the document page (Shift Command click) to add content, but anything you don't change on the document page is still linked to the master frame (like the size, position, fill, stroke, etc.). Is that what you mean?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,
Oct 01, 2012 Oct 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It depends on the nature of your question. You have to override the frame on the document page (Shift Command click) to add content, but anything you don't change on the document page is still linked to the master frame (like the size, position, fill, stroke, etc.). Is that what you mean?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 02, 2012 Oct 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michael and Peter,

Thanks for your answers. Michael's response is what I was looking for. I should have used the term "override" in lieu of "unlink". I input text into the text frame in the document page (the text frame is empty in the Master page). My assumption was that once I override the text frame on the document page, none of its other characteristics will still be linked to the master (e.g. size and position)...but Michael says this is not so, which is a relief.

Peter, I am not sure I understood what you described. Are you talking about placing text in the Master page or in the document page (instance of the Master page)?

Related question. Is it possible to have one master page with a text frame, and somehow flow the text frame to any preceding or following text frame within the master page (flowing done on the master page)? I am currently doing the flowing manually in the document page after placing several instances of the master page with the text frame in the document (there is only one master page with the text frame, but several instances of it in the document page).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sPretzel wrote:

Related question. Is it possible to have one master page with a text frame, and somehow flow the text frame to any preceding or following text frame within the master page (flowing done on the master page)?

You can link several text frames together on the master page by first clicking the out port of one frame, then clicking into the next, then the out port of that one and then into the following, etc. Once on the document page, the text will flow in the order you linked it on the master.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was referring to working on the document page rather than the master.

Master text frames can be threaded (linked to one another), but they don't have to be. If they are, when you place and autoflow text into one of these master frames the flow will follow the threading pattern. If they are not threaded to other frames on the master page, an autoflow will generate a new page (and a new page for the other side of the spread in a two-page master) for every new frame required and thread those frames onthe new pages. This is really usefull if you are working in two parallel layouts, or have text flow on only one side of a spread and images or other content on the other.

If youare getting multiple instances of a master text frame on your document page it sounds like you are either overriding before placing the text (don't do that), are not actually palcing the text into the master frame, which can happen if you click your loaded cursor on a guide (click the loaded cursor anywhere inside an existing empty frame, away from any guides), or you've reapplied the master page. Or maybe I just don't understand what you mean, and a screen shot might help. Oh, wait, I reread the last paost an maybe you mean you have multiple pages based on the same master and you want the text to flow through them. That should happen automatically when you place an external file, but not if you override a frame first. If you are typing, Smart Text Reflow might be waht you are looking for, but I can't stand it so I have it shut off.

I feel obligated to say that there are very few times when I think an empty master text frame is useful. the exceptions are complex layouts where you have more than one frame on the same page that need to be threaded, or when working inthe parallel layout scheme metioned above. Otherwise, ID always uses the margin and column guides to create new frames on the fly when you autoflow without master frames, and setting the margins where you want the text block is less troublesome than master text frames.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter/Michael,

Peter Spier wrote:

Oh, wait, I reread the last paost an maybe you mean you have multiple pages based on the same master and you want the text to flow through them.

Yes, this is what I meant.

Thanks for the tips, very useful. I had not explored the various text flow options, I will do so. I feel a bit safer defining the text frame dimensions in the master page (that would probably guard me against myself accidentally altering it in the document).

Given that my text frame is defined in the master page, I have to override it first in the document page before I can input any text into it. So I was unable to create automatic text reflows in the master and see them work in the actual document, based on your explanation (since my first task was to override the master to input text).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 16, 2012 Oct 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter/Michael,

Overriding master page items works just as you described. However, I have run into a problem with the text I input in the overriden text frame.

I have a master page for left page and a different one for right page, both of which I use to input a title for the page (or chapter name) - both have the same items, but the position of items on the left master page is different from those on the right master page.

Now in the document itself, I use these master pages. When the document page D is on the left page and I override the (master) text frame to input the title text, all is fine. As soon as I insert a page prior to that, this page D then becomes a right page and the title text I had input is no longer where it should be.

What is the best way to have this title text  take its correct place whether it is on a document left or right page?

Text variables? (my title text can spread on multiple lines)

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 16, 2012 Oct 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are now experiencing the classic reason why master text frames are usually a bad idea. You can look at the Auto-Flow Pro plugin from In-Tools.com which eliminates some of this hassle (though it may not help this far into the work). My recommendation is that you start all chapters on the right, then add pages in pairs. Worst case is you have some blanks scattered here and there when a chapter ends on the right as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It also depends on what you mean by "input" text.

You can Place a text document into a master frame without overriding first (and you should not override first when placing the text file if you are going to hold down the Shift key to autoflow or you lose connection tot he master text frames and they will not be used when the rest of the text is added). The frame is automatically overridden as the content is placed.

If, however, you want to type or paste text into the frame, then you must override to do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines