• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Flash player for IE wants to install on EVERY new page

New Here ,
Oct 03, 2012 Oct 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have allowed it to install more than 10 times, and on every fresh page load, it asks AGAIN to install and run the addon.

I am not having this issue in Firefox, only Internet Explorer 8, with the latest updates to IE8.

Grrrrrrrrr.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the Shockwave Flash Object add-on enabled?

Is ActiveX Filtering disabled?

[topic moved to Flash Player forum]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pat!

I don’t know. Where do I look? I did follow suggestions from one of the faqs to allow Active X scripts and File downloads (enable them both), but they were already enabled, so I disabled, tried, re-enabled, tried it, and neither way behaved differently or stopped the prompts. I’m stumped…..

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again, Pat.

I see these are both for IE9. In my original post I am pretty sure I indicated I am using IE8.

Also, I am (still) on Win XP w/SP3, fully updated.

I just did a fresh install of the OS and of course, it found over 120 updates to install. Prior to all off those, IE8 was functioning quite normally, no errors, etc.

It was only after that and some application installs that I started getting this.

I hope there are some similar articles that are keyed to IE8.

Thanks,

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a screen shot from;

http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

capture21.jpg

And a screen shot of my Manage Add-ons menu

Message was edited by: dbreed53 on 10/3/12 @ 1629CST to include image

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pat,

I rolled back to IE6 by un-installing IE8.

Allowed auto-updates to install the patches for IE6, three times before it stopped.

Re-ran install for Flash, Shockwave, and this time, AIR. (Why I need AIR, I have no Earthly idea, but......).

Tested, but not all sites behaved right, since IE6 is so old.  But, did not get any prompts for Flash.

Allowed auto-update (finally) to install the IE8 update (I had been ignoring and unchecking it till now).

After install, I went to all the same pages as before.  On the first one that prompted be to allow the ActiveX add-on to run, I said yes, but not jus to that site, but as before, to ALL sites.  I opened 7 more tabs each at a different site, and was not prompted again to install, or allow, the add-on to run.

So, for now, it appears to be corrected. 

Which step actually did the trick, I don't know.  But, I'm offering $.75 to anyone who wants it to call someone who cares.  I'm just glad to be rid of the annoying prompt!!!!

By the way.......Why do I need to have AIR on a PC?  Just sayin'.........

PS. Tonight I will be asleep by 2100 or so and not be awake at 0dark-thirty like the last three nights, rebuilding this machine.

Thanks for being up this AM to offer your support.  I've been there, and done that, so I have a great deal of appreciation for those that offer support to others.  Again, Thanks!!

David Reed

Message was edited by: David Reed to express thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

David Reed wrote:

Why do I need to have AIR on a PC?

If you don't have any AIR applications, you don't need the AIR runtime.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, again!  I was exhausted this AM when I originally posted and had not read your emails clearly, thus, I did not see that if I replied via email the screen shots and attachments would be stripped away.  Sorry.

I have now edited those post and pasted the images that are pertinent.

I downloaded the Flash installer manually rather than run the install wothin the browser.

I closed all apps and browsers prior to running the install.  It completed.

However, with the exception of adobe.com webpages, ANY webpage I open prompts me to;

"...run the following addon: Adobe Flash..If you trust...click here to...yada yada yada".

And after I do, every webpage, on any tab or window I open, STILL prompts me to install Flash Player.

I had completely reset IE8 back to all defaults to remove any chance my alterations were involved in the problem.

I don't know what else to try at this point.........

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines