• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Import problems with RoboHelp 9

Community Beginner ,
Oct 03, 2012 Oct 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have started a project, imported a few dozen files and successfully published it.  However, after importing about 400 html files, the program (and project) locks up.  Difficult to do simple tasks like opening the table of contents. The application either locks up or takes about 30 minutes to return access to the menu.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 03, 2012 Oct 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Does this happen immediately after the import? Or does it continue after closing and restarting RoboHelp?

If you click File > Rename project and note the location of the project, where exactly is this location? If it's on a network drive, that likely explains the slowness. You should keep the project on your local C drive. Preferably in a folder named "Projects".

C:\Projects

C:\Projects\Project1

C:\Projects\Project2

C:\Projects\Project3... Etc...

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 04, 2012 Oct 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello and thank you for your reply.

The project is on my local hard drive, in a subfolder about 3-4 levels down.

I was able to import about 20 or 30 test files and it worked fine.Then when I tried to import more, that's when the system was "Not Responding". I would have to kill the task then re-open RH. Even then, it was slow. I couldn't even select the File menu without having to wait 5 minutes or more for the menu to appear.

I recently worked on a larger project, importing HTML files to a project that was in a subfolder 3-4 levels down. But that was using RH8 not RH9.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the problem only with the project you are importing the 400 topics into? If so, can you give us an idea of what is inside those 400 topics. For example are there loads of images, hyperlinks to other topics / bookmarks, inter-project links and the like.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

It so happens that I tested importing the files to another project I worked on a while back. When I did, it crashed the application. So, I think there's something about the files themselves. To answer your questions, the files contain images (I'm not sure how many), lots of bookmarks and lots of links between various documents.

Thank you for any help you can offer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Odds are RoboHelp isn't liking something inside one or more of the files. The trick is to pinpoint exactly WHICH of the files is causing the issue.

I think if I were in your shoes, I'd do the following.

Create a folder and copy all the files to the folder.

Inside that folder, create another folder.

*MOVE* ten files to the sub folder.

From RoboHelp, import the ten files. All okay?

If yes, delete the ten files and try with another group of ten.

Rinse and Repeat as necessary until you find the culprit(s).

The thought is that working with ten files at a go will make it easier to finally identify which of the files may be causing the issue.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a project like that a while back albeit on RHX5. It was like a sloth on mogodon! What really killed it was the number of bookmarks (in the 000s). Start off by doing as Rick suggests and see if it is something specific. If it isn't, you may have to live with it or consider splitting it and merging it. But let's go there yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will do! and I agree.....don't want to start splitting up the project yet! I'll let you know my findings.

Thanks!

Wanda

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

Are you using folders in your project? If not, you might want to consider it. By introducing folders, you place fewer files in any given folder. This means RoboHelp doesn't have to work as hard when you perform certain actions. If you have hundreds of files inside a single folder, it can slow things more than you would think as RoboHelp has to keep track of everything going on.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a plan b until I get this fixed, I tested importing Word files for the content. The Word file hyperlinks didn't come over!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 05, 2012 Oct 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not seeing in this thread that you have tried deleting the CPD file and then reopening the project.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANKS! I tried it this morning. That seems to help. RH is now more responsive as I continue to import files.

Thanks again. I'll follow up if the problem resumes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Go to Tools > Options and tick the option to always delete the cache. That deletes the CPD every time you open RoboHelp. While you are importing files, that file grows quickly and then you have the problem you have seen.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Makes sense. I did something along those lines yesterday and realized it was locking up over a couple of files that were 1,200 to 2,400 kb. So I uploaded everything else (except for those two large files) in groups of 10s and 20s. It progressively starting slowing down again as I got near the end of the files.

I'll keep you posted!

Thanks!

Wanda

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp