Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is this possible? XML import from RoboHelp into Captivate

New Here ,
Oct 04, 2012 Oct 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am looking for a solution to this problem:

My company has a technical writer's group and a graphic designer's / programmer's group.  My bosses would like for the writers to write in a program such as RoboHelp or FrameMaker, and then for the graphics guys to import that text directly into Captivate, with the text placed where it needs to be placed according to xml.  Is this possible?

Currently, we don't even use Captivate to design our E-Learning Courses, we're using custom built software by our programmers.  Those programmers are currently working on being able to extract Arbortext in the same fashion I was wondering about above.  I was wanting to know if such an option already existed with Adobe's products.

Thanks.

TOPICS
Import export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

No, it won't be possible. Sure, Captivate offers a File > Import > XML option, but it's not intended for importing data from other applications. It's intended for first using File > *EXPORT* > XML to create an XML file you would then hand off to a translation agency to localize the content inside Captivate.

Perhaps the closest you can come is to import from Microsoft PowerPoint. But then you *STILL* won't have editable text as the PowerPoint import comes in as Flash files.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply Rick.

Do you know of any way that my intention is possible?  Not even necessarily using Captivate, but InDesign or any other software?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry, but I'm unaware of any better way to accomplish what you want. A large part of the issue here is that Captivate and RoboHelp weren't always Adobe products. With each successive iteration of them under Adobe's guidance we do see more and more integration, but it's just not there yet. Even the Framemaker > RoboHelp integration isn't foolproof.

Based on your original note, I think that if I were in your shoes, I'd abandon Captivate and explore using RoboHelp to generate XML data that you would then hand RoboHelp's XML to your programmers for inclusion in whatever they are doing.

I have been facilitating classes on RoboHelp and Captivate since 2005. And in that time period, only once has anyone ever asked me whether RoboHelp works with InDesign. I didn't even know what InDesign WAS at that point and they got a good laugh at me not knowing that since "I worked for Adobe" (which, of course, I don't)

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources