• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Will RoboHelp 10 import .hlp files created from RoboHelp 7?

Oct 04, 2012 Oct 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded the trial version of RoboHelp 10 and tried to import old .hlp files that were created long ago with an earlier version of RoboHelp.  I keep getting an error  "The specified help file could not be opened.  Ensure that this help file is not running and try again".  Am I getting this error because I am running the trial version of RoboHelp 10 or are these old files not supported by RoboHelp 10?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to our community.

The error should not be an indication that you are using a trial. Have you confirmed that the HLP file isn't actually open on your PC?

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, yes I did verify that the file isn’t open on my pc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you go to File-->Open and select the hlp file,there at the bottom,is an option that says "Files of Type",we have .hlp listed two places,one in All help projects and second we have specific option that says Winhelp .hlp,select Winhelp(.hlp) and try and open the hlp file now and take a look if it works.

Harpreet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I tried that as well, I get the same error and it seems to auto-revert back to All help projects even though I select the Winhelp .hlp option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Are you trying to open or import the HLP file ? Please try steps below to import hlp file:

1) In the Starter Pod click More under Import.

2) Select WinHelp(*.hlp) and click OK.

3) In Help-to-HTML wizard define your options.

4) Click Next and complete the operation.

Please try the steps and see if it works for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 05, 2012 Oct 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I checked under import and there isn’t a “more” option. The only options available are: HTML/XHTML File, Frame Maker Document, PDF Doc, Word Doc, DITA Map, XML File, ADOBE Captivate Demo, Master Page, Snippet, Skin, and Skin from Web.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 05, 2012 Oct 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, u need not to find "more" under import tab. Let me elaborate it more:

1) Launch RoboHelp. Observe starter pod. If starter pod is not shown then do step 2.

2) Click View->Pods->Starter. This will open starter pod for you which is shown as below.

starter.png

3) Click on "More"(highlighted as red rectangle in snapshot)

4) Select WinHelp in import dialog.

5) Do the required settings.

6) Finish the operation. This will create new project out of your hlp project. Then you can generate the required output format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 08, 2012 Oct 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, that worked!!!! Much appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2012 Oct 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running into the same problem on Windows 8 / amd64.  However, when I try as you directed it crashes and wants to send a crash report to MS everytime.  What is the solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 24, 2012 Oct 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Windows 8????

Sorry but RoboHelp is not supported on Windows 8.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp