Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

{tag_name} used with <iframe> need to open in full window

Oct 05, 2012 Oct 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I have a smallish problem, well at least I hope it is. 

Using a web app to display a list of items. The hyperlink list / web app is displayed inside <iframe> on web page.

I need to get the tag from web app, that is, {tag_name} to open in same window outside the <iframe>. 

As {target_name} is already hyperlinked by default, is it possible to wrap this in an ahref to allow me to assign target window?

<table width="430"  style="border: 0px none;">

<tbody>

<tr>

<td align="left" style="width: 330px; text-align: left; padding: 2px 0px 2px 2px ! important; margin: 0px; line-height: 16px; font-size: 12px;">{tag_name}</td>

<td align="left" style="width: 100px; text-align: left; padding: 2px 0px 2px 2px ! important; margin: 0px; line-height: 16px; font-size: 12px;"> {tag_time}</td>

</tr>

</tbody>

</table>

Tried ~

<a href="{tag_name}" target="_top"></a>

e.g.

<table width="430" style="border: 0px none;">

<tbody>

<tr>

<td align="left" style="width: 330px; text-align: left; padding: 2px 0px 2px 2px ! important; margin: 0px; line-height: 16px; font-size: 12px;"><a href="{tag_name}" target="_top"></a></td>

<td align="left" style="width: 100px; text-align: left; padding: 2px 0px 2px 2px ! important; margin: 0px; line-height: 16px; font-size: 12px;"> {tag_time}</td>

</tr>

</tbody>

</table>

Any advice appreciated, thanks Megan

TOPICS
Web apps

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Megan. Why are you using an iFrame? I do not see the need for this here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Liam, http://shilleenasdanceacademy.pixelportal.com.au/ - well .... Class times on homepage at bottom left, <iframe> calling them into the page.  When I embed directly on the page, jQuery conflict stops homepage slider and eNeweltter popout from functioning. So using this calling <iframe> gets around the issue, a bit of a clugde.  Unless you have any further suggestions? Muchly appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should solve the jQuery conflict first. Is there a reason you're using head.js to load the jQuery? JQuery does come with its own ready() statement, and that's usually what's used to load jQuery scripts.  Also you could try rewriting the script currently in the iframe to run in no-conflict mode. It looks like on the timetable page you're trying to load jquery and jquery ui tabs twice anyway -- but there's certainly no reason jQuery would be conflicting with itself, at least not one that can't be fixed.  In any case, Iframes are inherently unsafe and considered deprecated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Kenneth. the head.js is part of the template I purchased and I need would need help to rewrite script as I don't know how to action this. As the problem with most templates if you make a change, you're on your own. Always difficult when HTML, CSS or JS is issues are encountered after purchase. I understand why those who sell templates do this, as so much can be changed. Back up / paid support for a purchased template or advice would be advantageous.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Megan,

Liam and Kenneth are right, if you can avoid the iframe issue it would be best. The issue you are having is that the code you are using to insert the jQuery UI widget is pretty old. If you download the latest jQuery UI it will help solve part of your issue. Your version is referencing jQuery 1.3 and then your template is referencing 1.7+. (jQuery UI - http://jqueryui.com/).

The head.js is how TribeVita is loading all their scripts now. If you are a Kiyuco member you can view this link and it goes over how to modify your script. (http://kiyuco.com/tutorials/speed-up-your-script-loading-times-with-head-js) If you can load the jQuery UI and CSS scripts you should be able to natively drop-in your web app module and avoid those script errors you are getting.

Hope that helps! Curtiss

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 07, 2012 Oct 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Curtis,  for sure,  I have removed the <iframe>. And I was able to revert back to the basic formatting for web app tags for linking.  I had downloaded the jQuery UI from http://jqueryui.com/themeroller/.  I selected the bottom option on the dowload for my theme, which comes packed with jQuery 1.3, which is where I should have downloaded the newer version.

Version

Select the release version you want to download.

Thanks for the heads up on the Kiyuco tute,  I have been a member of Kiyuco since November 2010, almost 2 years now. The reference to the video, watched it today as I had not viewed it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another option to avoid using jQuery UI and just going with stright jQuery would be to do something like this - http://css-tricks.com/examples/OrganicTabs/ - might be easier to implement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No attack on anyone intended here but if your selling websites as a web design/development company you need to know how to build sites. HTML, CSS, Javascript are the very basics along with the CMS you use.

Everyone is different levels but if you do not know these then you need to hire people that do on your team to produce sites as you need to.

Sure everyone has seen cowboy builders, no idea what they are doing, come in and do your grandmas drive for a stupid amount of money and do not put enough core down, do a terrible job and it falls to bits within weeks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Oct 06, 2012 Oct 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can hang that on Adobe as much as a designer, Liam.  Dreamweaver's WYSIWYG methodology, and graphic designers thinking if they know Dreamweaver they know how to build websites is misleading.  I wouldn't hang it on these designers. They are trying their best and sure it gets frustrating sometimes that some people don't know how to use the console and test javascript or best practices in many cases but that's what we're here for-- the community.  We help them out. And, if we seem knowledgeable, maybe some of these designers will reach out for some touchups/contract work.

Also, some people aren't selling them and are building them themselves as aspiring designers, in Muse. You should really take the companies more to task who purchase websites from people without seeing any previous work or without vetting the designer/developer with other web professionals to make sure they are getting a fashion-forward website.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not think that is true.

Bad builder of a house, just because people make the tools easier to use you can blame it on the companies who make them. Same thing.

Because it is there and you can do something, it is not making you feel like that. It is the people.

If you want a good job at a good company, not even the best the minimum requirements for a web designer are the work you can produce of course, photoshop skills, HTML, CSS and javascript are all standard requirements.

I been helping people on the BC forums for a very long time, fully well know about helping, I help. And your right there are people doing it themselves and are new to it and learning, can see myself and other great folk helping them through too. But there are people running businesses, making big claims on their site and then asking people like myself "what is a div" to responses.

Old forums "Leaders in website design and development" was one of their main phrases on their homepage and I gave an answer and that was the response

As someone who is very passionate not only for BC but the industry and doing things the right way or striving to do things the right way, I basically just hate to see the people pay a lot of money and get a bad driveway

It harms the whole industry because the good guys out there have to charge for the work, and people have to pay the same again to do it all again the right way and to convince them, get them to trust you becomes that much harder.

Can ignore me, it is just my opinion.

Oh, another you will laugh at from a few months ago...

"I know jQuery but I do not know javascript"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't complain about it too hard, Liam. Some of us are making gas money fixing these problems for people.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Liam

I am somewhat surprised to see you post this comment and the tone it reflects. From my perspective you seem to be held in such high regard by many in the forum and by Adobe. I find this comment not helpful to my post in any way, nor in the spirit of the forum and why they exist – for support.

You appear to have formed a quick opinion about the post and the level of development that I and others need to have as a skills base. Designing, building and maintaining websites is such an all encompassing task. It requires skill for any developer who tackles this alone (without a team) to have quite a vast amount of knowledge. I work alone with a part timer in my small business and have done so for over 15 years. I help small/micro business get online. So in my role in my position as a business owner, I need to be able to cover a lot of ground. I am sure I speak for many there. You’re right HTML, CSS and Javascript are the basics along with the CMS you use, totally agree. If you want to get into this area should know how these function, be able to understand what they do, how they are shaped, where to place them and how they impact on a site.

The problem I reported is pertaining to a Javascript conflict. My tasks as a business owner are far too broad to have time to write and debug lines of Javascript. In this instance I have purchased a template for the client, using TribeVita (getting the right people to help as you suggest). I made some mods, had some issues and asked for help right here in the forum. This was suggested to me after logging a support ticket with BC about my original request and the web app {tag_name} link in new window (again, getting the right people).

As an ending note, I am not so sure for the price at which I can offer a template fully designed and deployed to the BC platform, through such services as TribeVita, that I want or have the time to spend developing my own CSS/HMTL/Javascript templates (as I have done in the past) when I can rapidly deploy/reskin a website with a great base to start from. Working this method allows me move on to other areas of work with the client such as inbound marketing, social media, focussing on on-page SEO to name a few — what I see as "the basics" for the client — their online presence and getting found. It suit my clients, allows me to help them in a timely manner that suits their budget.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Megan, My comments were leading to the chain of comments in this thread being formed.

I have seen these lead to out right blaming BC for not being point and click and could see this going the same direction.

I did open up to with clearly outlining I was not targeting anyone and mentioned no names.

I know people who build and sell templates get blamed for it being hard to modify them even though it is just web stuff. Templates specifcally BC or 3rd Party taking a lot of flack when it is actually lack of knowledge.

For you to help - use tools like developr toolbar and firebug. Yourself you were looking for sollutions to overcome what were errors in the code over anything else. Identifiying these by these tools will help you and fixing these up will save heaps of time in the future.

I am very pasionate about that side of the web so you have to excuse that and I just feel now and again it is important to point that out to people so everyone can keep perspective of these things and not intended for just one person as I stated.
Sorry if you took that to heart but I am sure you can also agree on at least some of my points.

Good rule of thumb though is to get your code without errors, HTML and javascript, solving issues is that much easier then as you know you got the basics and core right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice Curtiss! Like it a lot. I will run with this. Easy to deploy, had it up and running on a test page today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad I could help Megan. Good luck with your site launch!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Megan,

I believe the {tag_itemurl_nolink} will pull in the relative URL in a WebApp. So I think your code could look something like:

<td align="left" style="width: 330px; text-align: left; padding: 2px 0px 2px 2px ! important; margin: 0px; line-height: 16px; font-size: 12px;"><a href="{tag_itemurl_nolink}" target="_top">{tag_name_nolink}</a></td>

I'm not 100% on this but I think it would work, you might need to tweek the set-up of you web app. Good choice on the TribeVita template!

Good luck,

Curtiss

@bcfanboy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

iframes though Curtiss, iframes.

Ken is 100% correct here and you should fix up your html and script errors Megan, not work around them

Should always try to avoid using iframes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For sure Liam. Appreciate your advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree... avoid IFRAMEd content.  What you need to do is copy the code that I've compiled for you of your tabs and replace the IFRAME call on your page with the code I suggest.

It looks like the jQuery conflict you are getting when trying to insert the code has to do with not calling the correct jquery ui javascript that is required by the tabs.  If you paste the code at the link below in place of your IFRAME you should be in working order.

http://pastebin.com/Y5FDnWep

Note: You can move the first two lines of the code (a LINK and 1st SCRIPT elements) to the <head> of your index.htm file (so those scripts only appear on the homepage where you use them) or the <head> of your template used by your homepage.

Bonus Points: Paste my code into a Content Holder and insert the content holder into your webpage for cleaner homepage code.

Warning: I'm assuming that your tabs were created manually and not through the Web Apps feature. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi thetrickster888, Thank you for taking such a pro-active approach to helping me get this sorted. I sincerely appreciate the time and effort you have taken to review the issue. I have removed the <iframe> and placed web app code directly on the page. I also attempted to move the scripts to the head of the homepage template and index.htn where they are being used, however this had the effect of repairing the broken email newsletter toggler and homepage slider, however the tabs then broke in the class timeable tabs, which are driven by web app. It appears as if the jQuery UI tabs can't see the the /jquery.min.js include  global include file (in bold) ~

<script type="text/javascript">head.js(

'http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.7.1/jquery.min.js',
'/javascript/scripts.js?v=1',
'/fancybox/jquery.mousewheel-3.0.4.pack.js',
'/fancybox/jquery.fancybox-1.3.4.pack.js'
);
</script>

Re Warning: Tabs are created using http://jqueryui.com/themeroller/

Content is populated using web app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Curtiss, this did resolve the issue.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Google hosts jQuery UI as well as jQuery so I would suggest to first load from Google's CDN (which will probably be faster for your users anyway) and then have a local fallback - both of which are described here http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5206666/jquery-ui-how-to-use-google-cdn?lq=1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines