• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What are the rules to build a merged project?

Explorer ,
Oct 07, 2012 Oct 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In another thread I'm asking for help regarding the mapped IDs not being seen when the merged help project is being openend from the application.

Now I'm wondering what might be wrong with my setup.

Where do the subprojects have to put their resulting .chm files? In their respective project directory?

--

Christoph

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 08, 2012 Oct 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is some information about merged CHMs at the end of my tutorial about merged webhelp. See my site.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I visited your site and tried out the rh9_merge sample project.

May I discussit here further or do you suggest another place or means?

I compiled the child projects and then built the parent project afterwards. During building the parent project I'm getting:

Processing keywords...

Generating full-text search data...

HHC6000: Error:

An internal file could not be created. Make certain there is enough disk space on the drive where you are compiling your file.

HHC5007: Error:

Fatal navigational compilation error. This is likely the result of an invalid contents (.hhc) file.

Compacting file system...

The following files were not compiled:

Kompilierung von HTML-Hilfe in 1 Sek. abgeschlossen.

Kompilierung abgeschlossen

Christoph

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those errors are not normal encountered with the demo. My guesses are that you have not amended some path and are generating to drive that does not exist, not removed the redirect which  is not needed with a CHM merge, or your project is on a network drive.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 09, 2012 Nov 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

I turned back today to the rh_merge project demo.

I took the rh9_merge.zip file. Unpacked everything into

c:\rh9_merge, went into source\projects\child[123] subsequently, built every child

(the Microsoft HTML Help output->Generate) and they built fine.

Going into source\parent afterwards, clicking on the parent.xpj file and clicking then on Generate in the Microsoft HTML Help output section, yields the reported error:

Kompilierung wird gestartet...
HTML-Hilfe-Vorprozessor 9.0.1.262

C:\rh9_merge\source\parent\!SSL!\Microsoft_HTML_Help\!chm_tmp_folder_0\Parent.chm wird kompiliert...

Erstellung von HTML-Hilfe wird vorbereitet...
Ausgabeordner wird gelöscht...
Dateien für HTML-Hilfe werden vorbereitet...
Dateien werden kopiert...
Dateien werden aktualisiert...
Vorbereitung nach 0 Sekunde(n) abgeschlossen

Compiler wird initialisiert...
HTMLHELP (9.0.1.262) wird generiert...
Themen werden aktualisiert...

parent_redirect.htm wird aktualisiert...

Warnung: Die Größe der Stoppdatei muss auf 512 Byte begrenzt sein.

C:\rh9_merge\source\parent\!SSL!\Microsoft_HTML_Help\!chm_tmp_folder_0\Parent.hhp
Microsoft HTML Help Compiler 4.74.8702

Compiling c:\rh9_merge\source\parent\!SSL!\Microsoft_HTML_Help\Parent.chm

Parent.hhc
Parent.hhk
parent_redirect.htm
Parent.glo
Parent.brs
#BSSC
default.css
RoboHHRE.lng
ehlpdhtm.js
Processing keywords...
Generating full-text search data...
HHC6000: Error: 
An internal file could not be created. Make certain there is enough disk space on the drive where you are compiling your file.

HHC5007: Error: 
Fatal navigational compilation error. This is likely the result of an invalid contents (.hhc) file.

Compacting file system...
The following files were not compiled:

Kompilierung von HTML-Hilfe in 1 Sek. abgeschlossen.

Kompilierung abgeschlossen

I can build the Webhelp Output project without error but the error on the

Microsoft HTML Help project persists.

I checked all permissions on the files to no avail. I'm stuck.

Edit: FWIW, I tried to run the example on a different computer (Windows 7/64, and RH10, of which I installed

a trial version). The same error.

--

Christoph

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 11, 2012 Nov 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The project is set up for merged webhelp and there are things that need to be changed if you are merging CHMs.

In the TOC of the parent, you need to delete the existing links to the children and create links to the child projects again. The links are different. You will need to create the child CHMs before you can do that.

Also the cross project links need to be recreated in a different way.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for commenting. I hope I can manage it myself to modify the links.

--

Christoph

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

See http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/merging_webhelp/merging_method_rh9.htm#links

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris,

As Peter has already suggested however you can try and generate the CHM in C:\New folder location, you won't get this error. I am not sure why it is not able to resolve this long directory.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Priyank

Thanks,
Priyank Shrivastava

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to build the WebHelp Demo but the HTMLHelp failed with the above error.

The generated chm file  is in:

C:\Users\kuku\Documents\Eigene RoboHelp-Projekte\rh9_merge\source\parent\!SSL!\Microsoft_HTML_Help\parent.chm

but

RH9 created a directory C:\rh9_merge\generate but the child1.chm etc

are in

C:\Users\kuku\Documents\Eigene RoboHelp-Projekte\rh9_merge\source\projects\child_1\!SSL!\Microsoft_HTML_Help\child1.chm.

Invoking parent.chm shows the typical empty info page that the web site cannot be opened.

In every child projects target directory is child1.chm, not child2.chm and child3.chm as one would expect.

--

Christoph

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris,

Can you please copy that CHM in your C: drive and then open it. also right click on it and check if you have Unblock button enable, if it is that unblock and then try it.

Thanks

Priyank

Thanks,
Priyank Shrivastava

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Priyank Srivastava wrote:

Chris,

Can you please copy that CHM in your C: drive and then open it. also right click on it and check if you have Unblock button enable, if it is that unblock and then try it.

Thanks

Priyank

Hi Priyank,

I don't quite understand,what you are saying. What do you mean by

"Copy that CHM in your C: drive" ? I have everything on my C: drive.

Which .CHM do you mean? That one in the weird directory path, Child1.chm?

Right click on it? What do you mean by "Unblock-Button"? Is that within RH9 or in

Windows Explorer?

I found meanwhile that the demo has errors in it, as far as the configuration for

Microsoft HTMLhelp is concerned. The target file is named child1.chm for every child project and not child1,child2,child3 as it should be. That's probably a side problem.

While I was trying to change that name in the options dialog (output folder and filename) I was told by an alert box that the file Microsoft HTML Help.ssl  should be writeable.

Well, I looked at it and it was full access for me as owner. I also could change the file name to Child3.chm (Child2.chm). Seems that this is a one time alert which appeared only once as a warning(?). Wonder why it appeared at all when the file was writeable anyway.

So far so good, I'm trying to get that demo project working with merged CHM files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp