• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Parent - child module structure with RH9 parent and RH10 child?

Oct 05, 2012 Oct 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We have created a parent-child module structure in RH 9 and cannot upgrade at this time.  A business partner has created a child project, following our folder structure, in RH 10.  Although I've created a node in the parent TOC for this new project, the parent output doesn't recognize the child output - it does not appear in the TOC, Index or Search.

I noticed that our RH9 child projects have a whproj.xml file that looks like this:

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8' ?>

<project homepage="other/toc/config_module.htm" langid="1033" datapath="whxdata" toc="whtoc.xml" index="whidx.xml" fts="whfts.xml" brs="whbrs.xml" >

</project>

The new RH10 child project does not have a whproj.xml file. Instead it has a whproj.htm file that looks like this:

<html>

<head>

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />

<title>project description</title>

<meta name="generator" content="Adobe RoboHelp 10" />

<meta name="description" content="WebHelp 5.50" />

</head>

<body>

<script  src="whver.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script  src="whutils.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script  src="whproj.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script language="javascript1.2">

<!--

setLangId("1033");

setDataPath("whdata");

addToc("whtoc.htm");

addIdx("whidx.htm");

//-->

</script>

</body>

</html>

Is that the problem? If so, what can we do about it?

thanks,

Jenny

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

p.s. See http://forums.adobe.com/message/4678101 for more information. That post was written by the person who created the child project we are trying to integrate. Theoretically it should work, but it isn't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the other thread RoboColum(n) has posted that he was able to import topics created in Rh10 so that would be one solution.

I haven't tried it but you could try deleting the XPJ file from the Rh10 project and then using Rh9 to open the project using the HHP file. It might work if your partner has not used any of the new Rh10 features. Worth a try using a backup of the project.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter ~ I am the problem 'child' !  I am very new to RH.  Re: hecjen's ? on the whproj.htm and whproj.xml files....do you know why RH 10 generates an .htm and RH 9 generates an .xml?  And do you think that has anything to do with the cause of this problem?  Do you think the problem is a RH 10 vs RH 9 issue or could it be a project setup issue or something else?   Also, both the parent and child are generating 'WebHelp' output.  Just wondering what the root of the problem might be.  Thank you! ~ Lori

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, we really don't want to have to mess with the business partner's source files. We were hoping that their RH10 output child would just play nicely with our other RH9 children!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are files that Rh creates when generating the output and I very much doubt the Rh outputs will play nicely together, precisely because the format has changed.

There's not much "messing" to be done. Take a copy and see if it will open in Rh9 if you use the HHP file, it's that simple. If that fails, then I think you will have to go with RoboColum(n)'s suggestion which will be much more work.

Sorry but I think the output will have to be generated from Rh9.

It's nothing to do with either one version or the setup, it is straight down to the output coming from different versions.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Peter.  As a side, don't know how we could have avoided this.  When we purchased RH10, as far as I know RH9 was no longer offered for sale.  At least I couldn't find it on the Adobe web site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like any software producer, Adobe only sell the current version. Often though, and even now, you can find earlier versions available from reputable software retailers. Avoid the dodgy ones that come complete with extras you do not want.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 08, 2012 Oct 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried importing a copy of Lori's RH10 project (import the hhp after deleting the XPJ) into RH9.  It does not work - somehow it still knows that it is a project created in RH10.  I don't think it's going to be an effective use of time to recreate Lori's project from scratch in RH9, even if all the HTML topic files can be used as-is.  And my company is not willing/able to upgrade to RH10 at this point.  It would be nice if Adobe could come up with a backward-compatibility utility. So unless someone has another suggestion, I think we are stuck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to say but that's an excellent analysis of the situation.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems my email didn't come through. I apologize in advance if I double post:

Did you also delete the .CPD file? A trick that works for opening RH9->RH8 and might for RH10->RH9:

1. Trash the CPD.
  2. Open the .XPJ in notepad.
  3. On the secondline, change the majorversion to 4.
  4. Save the XPJ and open with RoboHelp.

I hope this will trick RoboHelp. As long as you don't use RH10 specific capabilities in the topics, you should be fine. If RoboHelp still chokes, you may need to repeat the process and also remove the Multisreen references from the XPJ under the Collections tag.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Willam, you are my hero.  Deleting the CPD file and changing the version number worked like a charm!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Willam and Jenny -  Thank you so much!!!  Where do I send the chocolate chip cookies?! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Did you also delete the .CPD file? A trick that works for opening RH9->RH8 and might for RH10->RH9:

1. Trash the CPD.

2. Open the .XPJ in notepad.

3. On the secondline, change the majorversion to 4.

4. Save the XPJ and open with RoboHelp.

I hope this will trick RoboHelp. As long as you don't use RH10 specific capabilities in the topics, you should be fine. If RoboHelp still chokes, you may need to repeat the process and also remove the Multisreen references from the XPJ under the Collections tag.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp