• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Please restart all open browsers to complete installation" I've done this and nothing happens?

Community Beginner ,
Sep 26, 2012 Sep 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried downloading this flashplayer about 7 times at this point tonight and every time when it ends, I get the same message "Please restart all open browsers to complete installation" so I took it that it meant to restart my computer? I did that but every time I open up a page again it tells me that I still need to install the newest form of Adobe Flash Player. It's very frustrating and never changes! I've tried uninstalling the update and trying again but it's the same result every single time.

I have a Mac OS X Version 10.5.8

Any help would be very much appreciated! It's getting increasingly frustrating to have to keep clicking to allow the version I currently have and being told over and over that I need an update when I'm trying to update it.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flash Player cannot install when browsers are open; you need to close all browser instances when you run the Flash Player installer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All browsers were closed. In fact, before the installation even starts it has a pop up menu that makes you close them down before it can even begin installing it. The only thing open on my computer when I was installing it was the installation itself. The only program at all that was open was that, I even went to my force quit menu to make sure there wasn't anything else open that I had missed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 27, 2012 Sep 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

linsey2009 wrote:

I have a Mac OS X Version 10.5.8

Is that a PowerPC?  What Flash Player version are you trying to install?  See http://forums.adobe.com/thread/895134

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think so. When I look at about this mac it tells me that my processor is a 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo? I'm not really sure what that means, I'm sorry. I just tried going to that link and running that installation and it was successful but, once again, I get the "Adobe Flash Player was blocked because it is out of date" yellow pop up every time I go to a page. I try going to the "Update plug-in" and the version it has to download is version 10.3.183.23

Is the reason I can't update my flash player because I don't have the most recent version of the Mac program updated? I know I should at least have 10.6 at this time but there's no longer any place to purchase that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll have to wait until someone with a deeper understanding of the Mac OS can look into your problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 28, 2012 Sep 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You get this message when you have an outdated version of Flash Player.

Click Mac icon and then click System Preferences. Do you see Flash Player there? Double-click it and go to the Advanced tab. What's the version written there?

Thanks,

Sunil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2012 Sep 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am also having this problem too and and the System preferences says Plug-in version 10.3.183.23 is installed but chrome keeps on telling me I need to update as well. Please help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2012 Sep 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Mac and I am also having the same problem. I've installed six times since yesterday evening. Each time with all browsers closed. I've tried restarting my computer and I still keep getting the message "Adobe Flash Player was blocked because it is otu of date."

PLEASE HELP!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2012 Sep 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I went to check what version, it told me Plug-in version 10.3.183.23 is installed.

I'm aware that it's because it's an outdated version, though. That doesn't change the fact that whenever I try to download the new version, it tells me what my original post says.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2012 Oct 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-mac-os.html

Having same problem. I just ran the Flash uninstaller for my OS Version (10.5.8). That annoying message, "Flash Player was blocked..." is now gone in Chrome. I didn't even re-install Flash, and everything seems to be working fine. Go figure. I hope this helps you.

-t

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just want to clarify

So if you uninstall you wouldn't be getting the annoying message because you wouldn't have flash. I did a similar thing when I disabled Flash in chrome - and it seemed to work for a while, but then after a while videos wouldn't work anymore. So flash is still working fine now?

-s

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing to keep in mind is that Chrome includes it's own version of Flash Player.  That means, regardless of what you install/uninstall, Chrome will use it's built in version unless you specify otherwise (via Chrome's "about:plugins" page).

@linsey2009 - You might want to give the steps in the How do I do a clean install of Flash Player? FAQ a try.  This will at least verify that you've got the older plugin (which is only one version behind, by the way) removed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2012 Oct 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flash has been clean installed - there is only one enabled or present on the plugin page in chrome. Flash also works. The one and only problem is this bar that tells me Flash player is blocked - how can I get rid of this bar and just let the thing work. (Mac OS 10.5.8)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 05, 2012 Oct 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What bar are you referring to?  Could you post a screenshot?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2012 Oct 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

good ideaPicture 1.png

and like I said - it is not true, the flash player is new - installed and shows up in plugins

Picture 2.png

and I've tried with always allowed checked or unchecked and I've used the download critical security update link to download flash again as well

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 08, 2012 Oct 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tested on Mac 10.5.8.

I didn't face this issue. The screenhsot that you posted shows the latest Flash Player available in your machine for Safari / Firefox. However, Chrome is integrated with a higher version of Flash Player. Ideally, when you go to the plug-in page, you should see two entries for Flash Player as shown below:

chrome2.PNG

Thanks,

Sunil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2012 Oct 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I get that one - the second flash - I download via Chrome - I update Chrome itself

and your screen shot has flashVersion 11 - I can't get that right?Picture 7.png

whenever I go to update I get this:

Picture 5.png

so, it doesn't list the chrome browser, but up top it says to download the one below, but that's what I've done  a million times already

and the technotes are not helping

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 09, 2012 Oct 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

The 11.3 version is integrated with Chrome. You can't install it separately.

Could you please check the following task? http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/flash-player-games-video-or.html#main_4__Ensure_that_you_have...

Thanks,

Sunil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2012 Oct 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here's the actual answer: please post in all related forums - and I quote:

Hi folks,

I hope you guys know that Mac OS 10.5.x have been officially dropped to support by Apple(as OS vendor) and Google(as browser vendor) while ago. So this behavior sound intentional by Chrome as same behavior as recent Safari. I tried searching around and found this  post at Google site:

http://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2599452

http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/Y_s0YY2wQkQ

During above forum discussion there is one user who found own solution with his/her own risk:

https://productforums.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!category-topic/ch rome/mac/_CnkF0tj6xk%5B1-25%5...

It's up to you if you want to try it out but please understand that the environment is at risk of security matters since all OS, browser, and plugin software do NOT provide security update for you.

thanks,

Hitomi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having trouble installing the new version of Flash Player and finally went to windows site . I had to go to the safety tab on my menu bar and unclcik the Active X  and then install the Flash Player. It finally worked. I then went back and enbled the Active X again. I no nothing about computers so I do not know why this helped. Good Luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac browsers do not use ActiveX.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines