• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Word doc generated from RoboHelp 10 uses "Article" and "Section" as Prefixes in the TOC

New Here ,
Oct 08, 2012 Oct 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am generating a printed document, specifically a Word document from a RoboHelp 10 project. When I select Use Styles from Microsoft Word Template in the Print documentation Appearance dialog box, the TOC1 heading in the Word document is prefixed with "Article", the TOC 2 heading is prefixed with "Section", and TOC 3 is alpha numbered like this:

Table of Contents

Article I.          The Protocol Probe 1

Section 1.01     Welcome. 2

(a)         About this Guide. 2

Section 1.02     Product Overview.. 3

(a)         Contacting Us. 3

Article II.      Install and Configure the Probe 3

Section 2.01     How to Install the Probe. 6

Section 2.02     Overview.. 7

Section 2.03     Server Installation. 8

(a)         Warnings and Cautions. 8

(b)         Warning: Adherence to Safety and Assembly Instructions. 8

This occurs whatever Word template I specify in RoboHelp. It does not occur if I select the Use Styles From Stylesheet checkbox. It also occurs if I generate a PDF.

When I update TOC in Word the correct numbering and styles I have specified are applied. However, I don’t want to have to do this every time I generate a Word document.

I have tried the following, all with the same result:

• Specifying different Word templates in Robohelp
  • Creating a blank template in Word with minimum styles an specifying this template in RoboHelp
  • Recreating the TOC styles in Word
  • Re-installing the style mapping template in Robohelp
  • Looking thru the default mapping and other RoboHelp templates and CSS to see what might be causing the odd numbering.

I have just installed RoboHelp 10 (no previous version of RoboHelp on system) and have never encountered this problem with any version of RoboHelp before.

I cannot determine if it is Word or RoboHelp, or a combination of both, that is causing the problem.

I know that the prefixes that are generated in the Word TOC are defined by List Templates in Word; however there is no real way to edit these in Word as far as I can tell. As far as I can see, the TOC styles in the Word template do not have any specific numbering specified.

Has anyone encountered this problem before and found a solution? Or does anyone know how RoboHelp specifies the styles for TOC's for Word documents?

I am using Windows XP SP3, Word 2007 and RoboHelp 10.0.0.287.

Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2012 Oct 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I found a solution to the problem.

With further investigation I found that there was a multilevel list style linked to Heading 1, 2 and 3 in the normal.dotm template.

However what is odd is that document generated form RoboHelp was based on another template and did not use normal.dotm. The template I used to generate the document did not have any multilevel list styles linked to Heading 1, 2 and 3, nor to TOC 1, 2, or 3.

My best guess is that RoboHelp uses some of the setings in normal.dotm to generate the TOC.

After unlinking the multilevel list style to Heading 1, 2 and 3 in normal.dotm, the TOC generated with the correct numbering.

Can anyone clarify if RoboHelp does actually use normal.dotm template when it generates Word documents?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 10, 2012 Oct 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

RoboHelp will be using the template you selected as per your first post in the thread.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp