• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Attaching/Including 3rd Party Files in a .CHM File

Enthusiast ,
Dec 05, 2006 Dec 05, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to attach/include .PDF, .DOC, .XLS, .PPT, and .VSD files - in their native format - in a .CHM file? I'd like to provide our field installers with a single .CHM file that contains all the RoboHelp topics and 3rd-party files that they might need. The RoboHelp topics would contain hyperlinks to these files, which would then open the 3rd-party files in a new window (in Word, in Adobe Reader, in Excel, etc.).

I successfully achieved the functionality described above for a PDF file by adding it to the baggage files and inserting a link to it in a topic - when I preview the topic in RoboHelp and click the hyperlink. However, if I generate HTML Help (.CHM file), the hyperlink attempts to open a new window, but quickly displays a dialog box stating, "Download could not complete." The only option is to click an OK button, which closes the dialog box.

A .CHM file is the most desirable format, but I'll consider any other type of single-file output to achieve this functionality. Converting these files to HTML and importing them as new topics is not an option.

I'm running X5.0.2 with RoboSource Control.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Dec 05, 2006 Dec 05, 2006
Hi RoboFan,

Yes, you can. Add the files to your baggage folder. But, as in everything there is a catch. How you link to the files from the CHM can be problematic and as I understand it, it will depend on the end user's system. You can get Word documents that open in a new instance of Word, prompt to Save or Open, or open in the CHM browser window. There are a lot of ways to link to try to force one or the other but I don't see consistency between file types.

I'd start by adding the file to ba...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi RoboFan,

Yes, you can. Add the files to your baggage folder. But, as in everything there is a catch. How you link to the files from the CHM can be problematic and as I understand it, it will depend on the end user's system. You can get Word documents that open in a new instance of Word, prompt to Save or Open, or open in the CHM browser window. There are a lot of ways to link to try to force one or the other but I don't see consistency between file types.

I'd start by adding the file to baggage and then putting in a direct link to the file. Test that to see if it is a behaviour you want and if not search these forums for the specific file type you are having trouble with. PDFs have always been unpredictable for me.

Good luck,

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're right. I only tried this with one file (a PDF file) before I made my initial post and, while I did add it to the Baggage Files and link to it from there, it wasn't working. Based on your assurance, I went back and did this for an XLS, DOC, and a different PDF file and the links worked for all of them.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This topic describes how to create links that are defined in a javascript file. The file will open in the relevant application, provided of course that application is installed on the users PC!

http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/customising/editable_links.htm
Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Dec 07, 2006 Dec 07, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
There's some weirdness going on with this again. I was able to get this to work, but for no apparent reason all links have suddenly stopped working.

Detailed Info:

- This occurs for all hyperlinks to baggage files in all topics within my project (compiled CHM).
- I verified that the baggage files were placed in the correct folders
- I create the links by importing the baggage file and then dragging and dropping it into a topic.
- The issue appears to stem from something unique to my PC. The hyperlinks in the CHM files work just fine for other users here.
- I'm wondering if this is an ActiveX issue.
- I re-registered my hhctrl.ocx file, but that didn't have any effect.

Suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp