Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat X Pro Stopped Working

Enthusiast ,
Jul 09, 2012 Jul 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guys

I'm running the CS6 Master Collection on Win7 64bit, which was installed during May.

Today I tried to open a pdf document and although it shows in the browser preview pane, the document would not open. I then found the same trying to open other documents from a folder. I then found the Acrobat application wouldn't open at all either. When I click on it I get the little launch icon (which used to be an egg timer) for a second or two then it stops; I don't even get the splash screen.

Can anyone help me please and tell me how I can get Acrobat to start opening again please (without having to uninstall and reinstall everything if possible)?

Regards,

Graham

TOPICS
Install update and subscribe to Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Nov 15, 2012 Nov 15, 2012

Looks like they turned the work around into the official FIX. Is there any word on a patch to correct this? We are getting this after exactly 30 days on our installs.

http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/acrobat-failed-launch-30-days.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 09, 2012 Jul 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm thinking that your problem may be similar to the issue in the discussion titled Acrobat 10 won't start anymore. Here is the solution from that particular post:

For all the users who have faced a problem where Acrobat did not launch after 30 days of serializing with a suite serial number, please execute the following workaround:

1. Make sure you are connected to the internet.
  2. Launch a regular  CS6 product other than Acrobat or Flash Builder (for example: Photoshop, After Effects, Premier Pro, InDesign, Flash Professional, Illustrator, Dreamweaver.)
  3. Click on Help->Deactivate .
  4. Deactivate the application. Quit application.
  5. Launch a regular  CS6 product other than Acrobat or Flash Builder (for example: Photoshop, After Effects, Premier Pro, InDesign, Flash Professional, Illustrator, Dreamweaver.)
  6. Accept Eula.
  7. Register trial by signing in. Let the app launch.
  8. Quit and relaunch the app. Wait for UI to come.
  9. Click on License This Software button on the UI.
  10. Click on Sign in .
  11. Serial number screen will come
  12. Enter the serial number in the serial number screen and click Next.
  13. Quit app and relaunch the app while connected on the internet .

After this if you launch Acrobat it will launch and run forever without trouble. In case you still face a problem , try relaunching the other CS6 app once more and then launch Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2012 Sep 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same thing just happen.  You are so kind to have posted this... It worked exactly as you said it would & now my Acrobat is working again... Whew.... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2012 Sep 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I just received no help at all with the online support team; I am so glad I found this thread.  Saved me a major headache!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 01, 2012 Dec 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this fix!!!

What a pain in the butt for this to happen; but glad that I have Acrobat working again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2013 Jan 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for sharing this info, LoriAUC! Your solution worked like a charm. I join with the others in this thread in gratefulness for saving me hours of frustration. Wishing you an excellent new year!

~Terre

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2013 Jan 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still not fixed. I've just had it happen again after apparently "fixing" it a couple of months ago. The Adobe Application Manager "fix" is nothing of the sort, I'm fully up-to-date with all apps and get regular updates online via that process - but Acrobat X bombed out again today. LoriAUC's solution does work - but come on Adobe, fix the damned problem in the code. After all, this has only been happening now for about 7 months...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 21, 2013 Jan 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. Having the product drop dead every few months and force a deactivate/reactivate cycle is preposterous.

Adobe, this is a big black eye and you need to fix it NOW.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2013 Jun 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solved my problem  - but the deactivation didn't take effect right away. The first 2 times I tried to register I got an error message saying my # was invalid... (maybe because we are already using it on a 2nd computer as well?)  After about 15 minutes I tried again and it worked fine.

ADOBE - PLEASE get your act together!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2014 May 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome! Worked like a charm!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2014 Jun 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Lori for the solution. I followed your steps and Acrobat works again! My files kept opening automatically in Adobe Reader although I set the properties to open in PRo, so I just uninstalled it from my computer. Now they open automatically in Acrobat Pro.

Muchas Gracias!!

Amanda Ahuvah

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2014 Jul 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BIG Thanks for this info!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2015 Jun 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fantastic. Can't be more precise!!

I was having this same problem even in 2015 and your fix is still valid.

Thank you very much

Come on Adobe..!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2015 Nov 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had the same problem, and this worked!  Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2015 Dec 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me...Using Design Premium 6. Acrobat opened, then just closed and failed to open on subsequent attempts. I followed the steps and voila. For now....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 01, 2012 Oct 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked great for me when I executed this last month as it sure beats uninstalling and reinstalling the entire suite.  The problem is, 30 days later I had to do it again.  Had this happen on both a CS 6 Design and Web Premium as well as CS 6 Design Standard installs on separate brand new PCs with windows 7 professional . 

FYI... These were both download installs.  I am wondering if the DVD install causes the same issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2012 Oct 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the DVD isnstall has the same issue.  I just uninstall Acrobat X and reinstall it rather than the whole suite.  All the other software works fine....  Go figure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue has has been resolved.  If you update all of your CS6 applications via the Adobe Application Manager, you shouldn't need to re-activate Acrobat again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well on the last go around, I did update all the adobe apps, (Acrobat was not in the list) before I deactivated and then reactivated Photoshop to get Acrobat working again.  I guess we will see in about 15 days or so if this indeed fixed the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2012 Oct 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have an activation problem.... Acrobat X just quits working altogether. It seems to happen after it updates to 10.0.4 (or something with a '4' in the version). It's the English, French & German update.

I am using CS6 on Windows7 (64 bit) & XP (32 bit) computers. Both systems have this problem. My solution is to uninstall Acrobat and reinstall. Works for a month or so. All the other suite components seem to work fine. I tried updating with application manager - didn't work on XP system. Jury is still out on W7.

Mark Holman

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4GLTE smartphone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 12, 2012 Oct 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mark,

Those are the same symptoms that I experience, so it still sounds like the same problem to me.  Mine just stops working (translates to - will not launch) after about a month no matter which version of X I am running.  If it happens again, I bet that if you use this deactivate/activate method, it will start working again without the need to unistall and reinstall Acrobat.  However if David is correct in his comment above we will not have to worry about this again.  As mentioned before, only time will tell.

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 11, 2012 Oct 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David

Thanks. Following my problem in July I followed the steps and all was fine.

However I just lost Acrobat X on my Laptop (running XP). I lost it a minute or two after I signed-up the little splash screen to help Adobe on Acrobat. I vaguely recall I had just signed-up in July when I lost it on my Win7 machine. Could this be the common cause of this problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2012 Oct 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated everything via the Adobe Application Manager last week.  Today must have been 60 days since I installed CS6 - because Acrobat stopped again.  I just checked for updates now, and Adobe Application Manager tells me all my applications are up to date.  I haven't tried the work around posted by LoriAUC.  Wondering if there will be an Adobe fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 15, 2012 Nov 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nonsense. Launching the Adobe Application Manager doesn't allow "updating" it only allows Installation, one program at a time, and insists that it's installing a trial version. No way am I going to hose my legitimate installation by writing over it with what the installer thinks is a trial version.

How about a real fix instead of some bull about "updating?"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2012 Nov 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like they turned the work around into the official FIX. Is there any word on a patch to correct this? We are getting this after exactly 30 days on our installs.

http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/acrobat-failed-launch-30-days.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines