Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator, Really? Fast Image Crop

Engaged ,
Oct 11, 2012 Oct 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

I decided to start this post with "Really?" like a SNL sketch...hehe. I have been using Illustrator for quite a while but i am not expert with it. One feature that really bothers me is that i can't really fast crop an image unless i draw a rectangle on top and then apply a crop mask. Why so many steps? Some might say illustrator is for vector and if you want image and text editing go to Photoshop or InDesign. I don't agree with that. I use it for a fast presentation and friends that just started to use it last week tell me "Why i cannot crop an image fast?"

So is there any way to fast cropping an image in the CS5 Illustrator that i might not be aware? I might consider an external plugin or script...but again paying for bottle water is always a rip off. That should be a internal feature long time ago, even Corel Draw has it.

Thanks and cheers,

S.-

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sebastio,

Is there no Crop to Artwork option in your version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob,

Thanks for the fast reply. Where is Crop to Artwork? Do you mean thani can just crop an image without using any mask or rectangle? Can i just crop it by moving its bezier point with the white arrow like in most other Apps around? Has that changed now?

Cheers,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think Sebastio is talking about cropping a raster image.

Sebastio, unfortunately there is no dedicated tool for this yet.  There is one big thread and many others about all workarounds, which may be what you are currently using if not check this:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/319423

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks emil, i just don't get it why there is no simple solution like in InDesign...just moving the borders of the frame around. I guess maybe somebody has designed a script or plugin for that.

Cheers,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

simple solution like in InDesign...just moving the borders of the frame around.

InDesign is just fooling you. That “frame” is really nothing other than a clipping mask. The image is still there behing the mask.

(As you will discover if you copy bits of InDesign files to Illustrator – the whole thing will be a mess of clipping masks.)

Illustrator doesn’t automatically put clipping masks in front of images, so you have to do it manually.

As many people have pointed out over the decades, you cannot physically crop raster images in Illustrator. You must go to Photoshop for that. for that

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As many people have pointed out over the decades, you cannot physically crop raster images in Illustrator. You must go to Photoshop for that. for that

Well, that is my point, why two steps if i can do it in one? Don't you think it would be a better and faster workflow not having to go to Photoshop or placing rectangles in front of you images everytime you want to crop an image?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Masking is just not the same as cropping.

Generally speaking, masking is a better option than cropping because it doesn’t damage anything.

If you crop a raster image you are damaging it irretrievably. There’s no way to re-create the bits you deleted.

With a mask you can uncover whatever bits of an image you need to, but the whole image is still there in its entirety for later, or other, use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Masking is just not the same as cropping.

Generally speaking, masking is a better option than cropping because it doesn’t damage anything.

I usually refer as "crop/masking" as the possibility of using a part of the image for editing / design purposes. I don't want to damage the original image. Corel Draw, which is no the industry standart at all has that ability to do it.

I would like the same that InDesign does with images in Illustrator, why would that be a problem and not an advantage? That would make anybody's design workflow way faster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Oct 13, 2012 Oct 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think what Sebasiao may be happy with is an easier way to select the clipping mask. Illustrator does this when you apply the mask but as soon as you deselect the object,  to select the clipping path again, you have to either dig in the Layer's panel and find it or go to Outline view find it and click it with the white pointer which may be hard in a complex artwork. Smart Guides can also show the path if mouse is over it but the label says only "path" which again can be hard in a complex artwork, - it would have been better if the label say "clipping path".

I think they should have made the Mask button on the control bar do this by first applying the mask for images without it but then remains active and serves as a selection tool for the clipping path of the selected image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The OP is looking for

1. a masking set of tools ot a masking mode such as in after effects. In AE you can use all your drawing tools to create artwork or you can use it to create masking shapes depending on the mode you are in. Very handy!

2 A crop art tool to actually crrop the art. That should be possible in AI since it is now 64bit and will not crimp the processing.

These should be doable in AI CS 7

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how about something like this,

1. draw a rectangle that will act as crop bounds

2. select both the image and the "crop area" rectangle

run the script

var idoc = app.activeDocument;

var image = idoc.selection[1];

var clip = idoc.selection[0];

idoc.rasterize (image, clip.visibleBounds);

I could do a more elaborate script with a bunch of options...if that's what's needed.

Warning the script IS destructive, so use with care, on a copy of your image...anyway Undo is your friend.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the script Carlos, indeed is interesting. By the warning saying IS destructive, i guess the picture will be definitely crop after that, right?

Cheers,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't write scripts but I can tell by looking at

idoc.rasterize (image, clip.visibleBounds);

that it will rasterize and crop the image and my question to Carlos is at what resolution that would be?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

emil, 300 it can be changed, either as an input option or I could probably read the original resolution and apply the same.

Range: 72.0 to 2400.0. Default: 300.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think keeping the original resolution is best in case it is higher and image printed at eventual larger scale. The user can always rasterize the image again at the desired resolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

correct, it'll be cropped, not masked

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 12, 2012 Oct 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again for the script. If you ever make one to put a masking frame on each raster image like InDesign that would be fantastic! i don't know how complicated is it, but it would means the best of both worlds.

Cheers,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you're confusing me, do you need to crop images? or clip them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry about that. I think the ideal thing is always to clip (or mask) the picture, so if you or the client don't like the design you can always change it, like you can do in InDesign, Freehand or Corel Draw. I was looking for a faster way than having to create a mask and placing it in front of picture. Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select an image and click on the mask button in the control panel. Then immidiately drag the handles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Monika,

Thanks for the info. Where is the mask button in the control panel? could you send a print screen of its location? I usually do Cmd+7 to apply a mask.

Cheers,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's called "mask". Cmd-7 does the same as the button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so, after all, you needed to apply a clipping mask to your image, not to actually crop it...but hitting Ctrl+7 was too slow for your workflow?...your job must be very demanding, talking about a "fast paced industry" this days.

...the only option I could think of is...practice, practice, practice, the more you do it, the more you'll see your hands flying across the keyboard to hit Ctrl+7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but hitting Ctrl+7 was too slow for your workflow?...your job must be very demanding

Nice sense of irony but i rather watch a Woody Allen movie for that purpose. I am just a regular user who would like to see these useful feature in Illustrator, like InDesign, Corel Draw, Freehand vector software have. Is that wrong? Thanks for you comments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines