• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I cut (crop) an object out of a video?

New Here ,
Oct 11, 2012 Oct 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to build a video using multiple objects and am having trouble finding a way to cut (crop) an object out of a source video to place into my project.  I also need to learn how to grab an object within a source video file and move its location (i.e. spread four object further apart than they are on the source video).  Any ideas?

Currently running CS5.5

Thanks,

Rip

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a pretty complicated effect requiring rotoscoping. Typically, jobs like this are done in After Effects. Do you have After Effects? If so, see this introduction on rotoscoping: http://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/animating-shape-paths-masks.html#rotoscoping_introduction...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reference.  I am just beginning my time with CS5.5 and am pretty overwhelmed with to 1% I am able to figure out.  But this will be very helpful.

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rip,

I think that Kevin has answered part 1 of your question, regarding removing an element in a Video Clip.

For part 2 of your question, can you post a screen-cap on exactly what you want to do? It might be as simple as either applying the Crop Effect, or Garbage Matte, and then adjusting the Fixed Effect>Motion>Position, or it might be even more complicated.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hunt,

I think the garbage matte will work fine for what i need.  Thank you very much.  At this point with all this being new to me, I am just doing very basic things.  I did see the Roto tutorial and am actually excited to experiment with it as well. 

Thank you for the help!

Rip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Rip,

Excellent, and glad that I mentioned that. I was just not sure if it would be helpful to you.

For some "learning resources," see this FAQ Entry: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/878529?tstart=0

Adobe TV has some great tutorials, and not sure if Todd did a direct link to it.

Good luck, and never hesitate to ask, when you hit a hurdle.

Hunt

PS - AE's RotoBrush is great!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rip,

If your video shot was locked down (tripod, no movement of camera or zooming), then you can do some stuff with PhotoShop. You can Export a still frame grab of the video scene, then isolate an object in the frame in PS. Copy that item to its own layer, with transparent background, then Import the .psd file back into Premiere and overlay the image onto the video. You can use the Adobe Motion controls to position and resize the element.

I have for instance used this to fix a corporate interview in which elements in the background were later deemed undesirable. Take a frame into Photoshop and use the Clone Stamp or similar to "Paint out" the offending part of the image, then save just that area. Of course this only works if the talent never moves in front of the object in question. Has to be a static element in the video that never changes.

Hope this is helpful

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff,

Thank you for the help!  There is so much I have to learn about this.  I think the Garbage Matte will work for this project.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Thanks,

Rip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines