• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash player will NOT update for Firefox

New Here ,
Oct 09, 2012 Oct 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Over the last 30 days or so I have tried at least 50 times to update Flash player in Firefox, but I still get the annoying message that it is vulnerable and I need to update or disable. I've followed all the instructions, even completely uninstalling and reinstalling - still the same silly message.

Running Windows 7-64 bit, Firefox 15.0.1. All updates in place.

I'm running Flash 11.4.402.278 and NOTHING I do will update it to *.287. I always get the automated message that it successfully installed, but a return to the check plug-ins page still shows that annoying red vulnerable button.

Flash crashes dozens of times per day. Reloading the page no longer fixes the crash - only closing and reopening Firefox brings Flash back to life, and that only lasts for a few minutes before it crashes again.

Has ANYONE figured this one out? I much prefer Firefox over other browsers, but I am at my wit's end.

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 10, 2012 Oct 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash; you may have two NPSWF...dll files in there.  Simply restart Windows, and the old one will be gone.

If you do not have two different versions, can you post the contents of the FlashInstall.log file from that same folder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2012 Oct 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pat,

Thanks for the reply.

Checked C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash - only 1 NPSWF...dll file.

But, since I am on Windows 7-64, as mentioned above, I checked C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash and found 2 NPSWF...dll files there. Rebooted and the old one is gone, and the annoying "vulnerable" tag is gone.

Not sure why it had not cleared before, since the computer had been restarted many times during the intervening period.

Thanks for pointing me in the right general direction.

EDIT - sadly, Flash continues to crash, even with the update.

Message was edited by: TravelingAnn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2012 Oct 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That advice  is not only  not helpful,  but  dangerous.   Why  cant  Adobe Flashplayer  get its stuff together and come up with a decent  way to  DELETE  older versions  as it UPDATES  to the newest version.  I know  Adobe  is a disorganized  ,  user unfriendly  beuracracy   and  getting Adobe Flashplayer  will NEVER  happen.   I just  wish  You Tube  would wake  up and get  away from this  crappy player

UPDATE  10/14/2012    OK I finally got Adobe Flashplayer updated, heres what I had to do....

1) Downloaded a Registry Fix it program called "PC Tools Registry Mechanic"  , I ran it and "repaired: as many Registry eroors that I could.

2) Downloaded and Installed Internet Explorer 8

3) Downloaded and installed Adobe Flashplayer 11.4

I think the reason it won't work with Firefox is that Adobe is somehow "keyed in"  to Microsoft,  kinda like Microsoft related software won't work well with any other software,  perhaps a conspiracy of sorts to hold onto their "monopoly" by embedding code into their software that messes up when you try to use it or download it other browsers ( ex. Google Chrome  or Firefox)

In any case I hope this helps you,  as it gets so complicated that you RARELY  can find an authoritative answer,  and computer software repair seems to be more guesswork than anything. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines