Expand my Community achievements bar.

Livecycle Security for Applications

Former Community Member

I'm using LiveCycle WorkBench ES3

I have a process where the user clicks a link on a web (intranet) page to open an interactive PDF. The user fills in some fields, and clicks the submit button.

The form is then flattened, and the user has the option to save it to their local drive.

I can get this to work OK, with one exception - when the process runs, it asks for the User ID and Password.

I need to be able to have the user run the process without being prompted for those (since they will not have them)

So, I open the Adobe LiveCycle Administration Console and go to Home -> Services -> Applications and Services -> Service Management, select the service and set the security as follows:

• Require callers to authenticate = No
  • Specify Run As System.

Once I do this, it does not ask for the UserID and Password.

So this seems to solve my problem, except if I redeploy the application, I have to go back in a set those values again.

What I need to know is:

A) Is there some way to make those values that I set in the Administration Console persist when I redeploy?

OR

B) If there isn't, is there some way in my application to send those values in with the process? In the past, we used a Java Servlet and we had to code these values in the code.

TIA,

Bob Mathis

2 Replies

Level 6

We had similar situation. Here shared what we are following, but this may not be the complete solution.

We import those values thru the configuration xml update/modification for the deployed application.

From Workbench:

If the Application Re-deployed(deployed application again deployed WITHOUT undeploy: deploy -> deploy) the values will not go to default.

If the application is Brand New/Deployed(deployed / deployed -> undeploy -> deploy) the values will goes to default.

If the total count of the process is very very less the approach of going to each one and change the values may be just ok in this case.

If the total count of process is way high, no go with the above approach (we are having 50+ processes).

Step1 - Once the application is deployed ONLY, we can get the configuration xml file in one of the below ways.

1. From workbench (Right Click on deployed Application -> Create LiveCycle Archive -> Select Export Runtime Configurations -> This gives xml file).

2. From adminUI (Home > Services > Applications and Services > Application Management -> click on deployed application -> Click on Export Runtime Config Button on top -> This gives xml file).

Update the values: The xml from the one of the above step is the latest of the deployed application, which will have the xml code block for each process. Replace all the values from one of the editor (ex: notepad) and save the xml.

Step2 - Updates:

Initial code block will be look like:

<requires-caller-authentication>true</requires-caller-authentication>

i. Replace all occurrences of "<requires-caller-authentication>true" with "<requires-caller-authentication>false"

ii. Replace all occurrences of "</requires-caller-authentication>" with "</requires-caller-authentication><run_as_configuration runasConfiguration="RUN_AS_SYSTEM"/>"

Final code block will be look like:

<requires-caller-authentication>false</requires-caller-authentication><run_as_configuration runasConfiguration="RUN_AS_SYSTEM"/>

Step3 - Import Runtime Config: Now need to import the updated xml using admin UI for the application.

From adminUI (Home > Services > Applications and Services > Application Management -> click on deployed application -> Click on Import Runtime Config Button on top -> Upload updated xml -> Click on Import -> After this step DO NOT deploy, now all the services/process got updated can be check right away).

This is the process we are foloowing.

Former Community Member

Well, I tried this and it works just fine.

The only problem is that I am supposed to come up with the process and then hand it off to people who have very little computer knowledge. They mostly just design the forms and then put them on the server.

So, I need a way to either make the settings permanent for the application OR be able to automatically import the Runtime Config file OR pass in the User ID and the password.

Your suggestion might get me going in the right direction though.

Thanks,

Bob Mathis