• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how do i change the color of the window background?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2012 Oct 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I change the color of the window background? When I create a new document on indesign sometimes the blackground is white, sometimes black or gray and I d'ont know why. Thanks for help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 16, 2012 Oct 16, 2012

Ah.

I've never bothered to change the default gray for preview, but you can set a different color for the background in Preview mode by going to the Guides and Pasteboard section of the prefs and choosing a differnt color from the Preview Background dropdown. Like most prefs, if you do this with a file open it affects only the current file (and to change a file that has a different color you'd have to do them one at a time), if you do it with no files open it will be the default for all new files

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The InDesign forum is your freiend...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving this discussion to the InDesign forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THis sounds like you are viewing is different modes. "Normal" or layout mode uses a white pasteboard whre you can store objects that you might want to use, but don't want on your pages currently. When you switch to "Preview" mode the pasteboard and any guides and non-printing objects disappear and the background goes gray. In Presentation Mode the backbround is black and the tools and panels will disappear.

Hitting the W key when you don't have the Text tool active will toggle normal and preview modes. Shift + W will take you to Prensetation Mode, and Esc will take you back out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply but the problem isn't on the view mode of the document but in the backgrond of the window where the document is in normal view. For example in photoshop I can  change that color (white, black or gray) in preferences and I do the change in indesign once by chance, so now I have documents with white and one with black both in normal view. Excuse my english and thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign does not allow you to change the background color in normal view...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 16, 2012 Oct 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, you are right, I saw that I had one document with normal view and the two others with "preview", but in that view I have one black and other gray what is unexpected... In presentation mode all are black as you said. Had you one explanation?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah.

I've never bothered to change the default gray for preview, but you can set a different color for the background in Preview mode by going to the Guides and Pasteboard section of the prefs and choosing a differnt color from the Preview Background dropdown. Like most prefs, if you do this with a file open it affects only the current file (and to change a file that has a different color you'd have to do them one at a time), if you do it with no files open it will be the default for all new files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thak you very much. Now the problem is solved and I have no problems or questions about. Have a good day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2017 Jan 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you I appreciate it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2017 Jan 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't seem to find the modes you're talking about. im on the updated version of lightroom. Any advice on changing the window background color now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 12, 2017 Jan 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@charliebyer98,

You're in the wrong forum. This is the InDesign forum. Please go here:

Photoshop Lightroom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines