Exit

TOC links are not appearing in RoboHelp 9

New Here ,
Oct 15, 2012 Oct 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi team,

I am facing a big trouble.

I am creating an online help using RoboHelp 9. The help has 133 topics. My problem is that after generating the help, few topics are not appearing in TOC. A blank page appears. If i relink the topic, it comes fine but at the same time some other links starts not appearing in the TOC. Please help.

Regards,

Garima

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Garima and welcome to the RH forums.

Unfortunately there are many reasons why you are having issues, so you'll have to help us out a bit to enable us to help you. Can you tell us what the help output is (e.g. webhelp, chm) and where it is located (intranet, server, web). Also you seem to suggest that when you click on a topic in the TOC it is blank. Is the same true when you access the topic from the Search? Is it the same topics that are giving you issues all the time or does it depend?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

In addition to what Colum is asking, I'm going to ask/suggest this. If indeed the Topic Pane simply appears blank, try right-clicking the pane and see if you can choose "View Source". If a window or application appears that lists the HTML code, it means the topic indeed loaded but is probably having issues presenting the content. And if that's the case it's an entirely different can of worms from a troubleshooting perspective.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I checked the codes by clicking the "View Source" option.

It's not same as HTML code.

I saw an alert message on the source page code as below:

" alert ("WebHelp has detected that your display is set to 16 colors. For full WebHelp support, please set your display to use 256 or more colors.")"

Thanks,

Garima

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Garima.

Occasionally we will find that an "illegal" character in the topic filename will cause a blank topic.

Be sure only non alphanumeric characters and NO SPACES are found in Filenames of topics. Also no ~!@#$%^&*()+., etc.

This is true for folder names as well as topic filenames.

John Daigle

Adobe Certified RoboHelp and Captivate Instructor

Evergreen, Colorado

www.showmethedemo.com

John Daigle
Adobe Certified RoboHelp and Captivate Instructor
Newport, Oregon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another thing to try. Locate the individual output file produced when you generate your output. Open that from Windows Explorer and tell us if you can see the content. If not, repeat Rick's tip about clicking View > Source and let us know how your get on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2012 Oct 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I tried to open the individual output file in a notepad from Windows explorer, I cannot see the content.

Even I tried Rick's tip (View Source) and I cannot see the content eventually same is not appearing when I click the topic in the TOC.

Thanks,

Garima

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2012 Oct 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I can see the same discussion at below link:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/873032

But i could not see any permanent solution.

Thanks,

Garima

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2012 Oct 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John,

I have checked for these characters, I am still facing the same problem.

I would like to mail you a dummy project.

Could you please share your e-mail address?

Regards,

Garima

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the sack of everyone's time, I have been contacted by Garima offline. I'll report back when we have resolved the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If anyone should come across this issue in the future, the issue was as Garima has described. Here is an image of what she was seeing. This was caused by anti-virus software. All is now resolved.

antiv.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for posting that, Colum.

We now know the cause and I'm assuming it was resolved.

Soooo, the fix was?

What brand of AntiVirus was it?

What steps had to be taken?

The answer to those questions will likely prove infinitely more helpful than seeing the screen capture of the blank topic.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was Kaspersky. As to exactly what was done, I don't want to lose what little is left of my hair to find out . Maybe Garima can provide the detail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

First for all thanks for your concern!

Yes, the above issue is resolved.

It happened because of kaspersky antivirus which used to start scanning at the time of compilation.

Our IT-Help desk had done some modification in the kaspersky antivirus and the problem was resolved.

-Garima

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Garima

It would help others if you could get your IT people to advise what it was they had to do.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 07, 2013 Aug 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I would like to post a similar problem I am having.  However I don't believe it's my virus software causing the issue.  My companies laptops use the Symantec anti virus tool.  I am also using RH9 and I tried to compile a WebHelp project with the traditional - no skin option (although this happens with a selected skin too).  My end result shows an entirely blank TOC, blank Index and the Search capability is missing the entry field.

I clicked in that frame to view source and I'm seeing the source for that page (I believe).  But there are no TOC links or Index links.

Any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 08, 2013 Aug 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Does this happen with IE, FF and Chrome or just one?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

The help output is Webhelp and it is located in the c: drive.

Yes, when I click the topic in the TOC it is blank.

Even from the search I cannot access that topic.

Thanks,

Garima

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you answer the other questions as well please, especially Rick's (aka Captiv8r).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp