Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

flash player 11.4 keeps asking for reinstall

Sep 11, 2012 Sep 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Windows 7-64bit and IE 9. A few days ago, I got a popup asking if I want an Adobe Flash update. I answered Yes, and it supposedly installed successfully; yet, every time I go into a page with flash, Adobe tries to reinstall the same update again and again. Chrome works fine, but some websites only render properly in IE. I've so far spent two days on this. It's driving me crazy!

Steps I took to in an unsuccessful attempt to resolve:

• I ran cCleaner64 for both the laptop users, to delete all temp files. Also ran it on the registry.
  • I ran Norton quickscan.
  • I turned off Norton's firewall & antivirus,and disabled all SpywareBlaster protection.
  • I ran SuperAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes quickscans.
  • Restarted.

• Reset Internet Zone to its defaults. Turned off IE SmartScreen filter. Enabled Protected Mode. Again, I turned off Norton's firewall & antivirus.
  • I reinstalled Java.
  • I reinstalled Flash Player from Adobe.com,allowing Adobe to install updates automatically.
  • I closed IE.
  • I reenabled Norton
  • I tried with IE 8. Same problem.

• I disabled Norton and Protected Mode.
  • I uninstalled and reinstalled Flash Player again. Same problem.

• Turned on Protected Mode. Same problem.
  • Updated to IE 9 and tested. Same problem.
  • Turned on SmartScreen filter.

Please help!!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 11, 2012 Sep 11, 2012

Hi,

Could you please follow the steps provided in this post? http://forums.adobe.com/message/4323109#4323109

Thanks,

Sunil

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Woao... it seems you've unluckily tried too many changes already. Lets start where you ended:

LindaSue365 wrote:

I have Windows 7-64bit and IE 9...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

• I reinstalled Java. <-------------------------------------- What version?
  • I reinstalled Flash Player from Adobe.com <---------- What version?

• I disabled Norton and Protected Mode.
  • I uninstalled and reinstalled Flash Player again. Same problem.

• Turned on Protected Mode. Same problem.
  • Updated to IE 9 and tested. Same problem.
  • Turned on SmartScreen filter.

Try from here >

< Enabling Flash Player in Internet Explorer 9 >

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/885448?tstart=0

< ActiveX Filtering in Internet Explorer 9 >

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/867968?tstart=0

< How do I do a clean install of Flash Player? >

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/92How do I do a clean install of Flash Player?8315?tstart=0

< Installation problems | Flash Player | Windows >

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/installation-problems-flash-player-windows.html

Please tell us how it goes - Good Luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, RickCP,

I have Java 7, Flash Player 11.4.402.265, Active X Filtering is off.

As you can see from my original post, I already did a clean reinstall.

How can I check my permissions, please?

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Could you please follow the steps provided in this post? http://forums.adobe.com/message/4323109#4323109

Thanks,

Sunil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 12, 2012 Sep 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your help. The permissions seem to have been the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 14, 2012 Sep 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 19, 2012 Sep 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, lokikffh,

As I indicated, the permissions seem to have been the problem, so your response was VERY helpful.

Resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2012 Oct 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have the same problem with Flash Player and was wondering if anyone could help me. I ran the script to update to permissions but since I am on a spanish platform I had to change all the adminitrators to "administradores" and the users to "usuarios" however there are a few lines granting the user user permissions such as:

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{D4304BCF-B8E9-4B35-BEA0-DC5B522670C2} /grant=user=r

and I'm wondering to what user does that apply, the one under which we are running the script?

I have tried to run this script on a couple of affected machine but to no avail so I am inclined to think that this part of the script has to be modified for the spanish platform.

I would really apreciate any help on this, thanks in advance.

Vincent

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 22, 2012 Oct 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Vincent,

They should be granted to the names "administrators", "system" and "users".  From what I can tell, "users" is a generic account that should apply to everyone on the system.

You might also want to try temporarily disabling Internet Explorer's protected mode to see if that makes a difference.

Thanks,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2012 Oct 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris,

thanks for taking the time to answer but I'm not sure I understand, the script is granting permissions to several users or groups and one of these users is called user (whithout the s like the line in my first post). The only part of the script that does not work is when it references this user. I'm not even sure if it is important or not but the fact is that running the script does not resolve the problem.

I haven't tryed yet disabling Protected Mode yet, I'll get round to it and post pack the results.

Thanks,

Vincent

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 02, 2012 Nov 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Vincent,

This looks to be a typo on my part.  From the documentation, this group should be named "users" on English systems.  Thank you for pointing this out, I'll correct this now.  Where you able to try the protected mode or work around this issue?

Thanks,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2012 Nov 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris,

thanks for clarifying this, I had tried the protected mode but no luck. However we are trying out the new version of Flash Player and so far so good, this issue seems to be fixed.

Thanks for your reply.

Vincent

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 26, 2013 Jan 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had not posted here since September, and my flash worked fine all that time. Suddenly, the same old problem came back: Adobe repeatedly kept asking to reinstall flash. I am running Win7-64bit, and I did the steps below:

1. Uninstalled flash player, via Adobe's uninstaller.
  2. Ensured ActiveX Filtering (under IE safety tab) was off. Closed IE.
  3. Restarted my system.
  4. Deleted flash folders in the 4 locations mentioned in Adobe's clean-install page.
  5. Downloaded flash installer.
  6. Disabled Norton.
  7. Ran flash installer. Chrome (my default browser) opened with the message that I now have Flash.
  8. Reenabled Norton.
  9. Installed subinacl.msi from http://forums.adobe.com/message/4323109#4323109
  10. Ran reset_fp11.bat as Administrator.
  11. Went into IE9-32bit and tried to get to Flash settings via http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager.html. BUT THE SETTINGS PANEL AREA IS BLANK. So I tested whether I have the latest flash. I do have it, but I cannot change the settings!
  12. I tried to get into the settings panel via Chrome, but the page said, "This content requires Flash." But when I then click on "Get Adobe Flash", I'm told I have it already.

ARGHHH! Please help! Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 30, 2013 Jan 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It took me all day, but I fixed this issue. I won't know till the next release of Adobe flash whether the next update won't corrupt my fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 20, 2013 Aug 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a reasonable fix for this yet? I create single frame flash learning courses and i get this problem on every page now. I can't tell every person who takes these courses to follow these steps to fix the problem. These courses work fine in every other browser except IE. It seems like the problem is in flash player 10.3 and later. Player 10.2 (not an available option in flash cs6 and cc) seem to work.

I really wish IE wasn't the company standard browser but unfortunitly it is. This is beyond frustrating...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 30, 2013 Sep 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, kinetic4307!

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back. I was on vacation and ignoring my emails for a while.

But now I'm back...

I've figured out a way to install Adobe, Java, and other hard-to-install add-ons and plugins on Windows 7. It's time-consuming, and I don't know if it'll work for everyone all the time, but it has worked for me since January.

Here are the steps.

• First time only (Warning: Although you never need to do these "First time" steps again, they take a while and they will reset all your IE options):
    1. If User Account Control has been set to the highest level, reset it (from an Adminstrator account) to the next to highest level and restart your computer.
    2. For each user account on the computer, go into Internet Explorer Tools, Options.
      • In Security tab, click to reset all zones to the defaults, and then check the box for "Enable Protected Mode". Then click on Custom, and set "Launching in an iFrame" to "Prompt".
      • In Privacy tab, click on Advanced and check the box to Override Automatic Cookie Handling. Then accept 1st-party cookies, prompt for 3rd-party cookies, but uncheck to always allow session cookies.
      • In Connections tab, click on Lan Settings, and uncheck all except "Automatically detect."
      • In Advanced tab, click on both Restore Advanced Settings and Reset.
    3. Close all browsers.
    4. For each user account, click the Windows button + R (This brings up the "Run" window.) and type "temp" (without quotes.) This brings you into the Temp folder. Delete everything in that folder which can be deleted. Then bring up the "Run" window again, and type "%temp%". Delete everything you can from that folder, too.
    5. Uninstall Adobe from your computer, via http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-windows.html.
    6. Uninstall Java via Control panel.
    7. Close the browser.
    8. For each user account, delete these folders:
      • C:\Users\userid\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Flash Player
      • C:\Users\userid\AppData\Roaming\Macromedia\Flash Player
    9. Delete these folders:
      • C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash
      • C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash (if you are using a 64-bit system)
    10. Delete these files:
      • C:\Windows\System32\FlashPlayerCPLApp.cpl
      • C:\Windows\System32\FlashPlayerApp.exe
      • C:\Windows\System32\FlashPlayerInstaller.exe
      • C:\Windows\SysWOW64\FlashPlayerCPLApp.cpl
      • C:\Windows\SysWOW64\FlashPlayerApp.exe
      • C:\Windows\SysWOW64\FlashPlayerInstaller.exe
    11. Restart the computer.

• Every time you do one of these updates/installations:
    1. For each browser you have, for each user account, make sure the browser is up-to-date. Then delete all history in the browser. Temporarily disable all cookie-blocking add-ons or plug-ins like Ghostery, NotScripts, or DoNotTrack.
    2. In Internet explorer, for each user account: 
      • Turn off popup blocker, Active X filtering, and Smart Screen filter.
      • In Internet Options, Security tab, click on Custom, and then TEMPORARILY allow previously unused activeX controls to run without prompt.
      • In Internet Options, Advanced tab, TEMPORARILY uncheck “Do not save encrypted pages to disk.”
    3. Close all browsers.
    4. For each user account, remove temp and %temp% files, as above.
    5. Temporarily disable your antivirus and anti-malware, like Norton or McAfee. Remember to disable any background anti-malware programs, like Spywareblaster, too.
    6. Download and install the pesky updates.
    7. If you like, turn back on Active X Filtering, Smart Screen filter and/or pop-up blocker, for each user.
    8. Reenable your cookie blocker addons/plugins and reverse the two temporary changes you'd made in #2 above, for each user.
    9. Reenable your security and anti-malware programs.

• First time only:
      1. For each user, in any browser, go into http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager02.html to reset your Adobe settings. (If using IE, you may have to click the icon in your address bar to turn off filtering for this page.) In the Global Security Settings panel, click "Always Ask", but add macromedia.com to the list of trusted locations. If you watch TV stations online via their websites, you may have to add them, too. For example, I had to add ABCLocal.go.com.

Please let me know if this works for you. I'm an amateur, and I spent hours till I'd actually figured out a solution!

Thanks, and Good Luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    Sep 30, 2013 Sep 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

BTW, anybody out there know of a way to automate all or part of the "Every time..." steps in my recent post?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines