Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Strange characters displayed when the project is generated

Oct 18, 2012 Oct 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear all,

I need your help.

I'm using Robohelp to manage a big user guide for a software application.

When I generate the project, Robohelp randomly creates topics with strange/wrong characters instead of producing the real page.

This is very random because it happens very often but it never happens on the same topics.

Below, you find an example of the characters generated by Robohelp.

‰Û÷-þŸòËCÇ”Ä2» ¸qCþåA¨ñ®ú?t_ :1v!* «8"AÚ°·úûDµ¬Ë@  eP ¯S~‚zìòa  &#157;à๠ j­ ˜‰cÏ&#129;Ô óž¾ª&#129;$G N p)&#141;vG ÑcÜ ÎtI¡&#127;¨ï4ÁÓìO Hòm 5,6¦ZOÝ&#127;<�î}·²pê™zµ[Δa¯á£ÈÝ¡» ··¦žfy×øé'f &  "²šQRœ¼ &#127;õ)ÍJJµ¿8[‰ í'&#144;lkŸðA#&#144;  qhÅ`b|Íï‰Aº ÷&#127;r†š3%îÀ   )’>è¯ ,fÿ4èJ ÊäGî"œo&#157;_ áª}òчaK     P<{$!Þâs&E'Fµ½ áV ê·´sÆ@aMÊŒÓ:¨/‡¡Kúã†Ø–§>ûåuû î‚}q~ ž³N{ ('— Ñ[!f ôùBC ?¨Jz Õ² NÕy? ¡‡Š/ GÁPJs ç Ç…&#143;Õ5«ÇÐ8  …˜.ÏŒSD¥&#141;< èHD;]ëÙ-ú½{â0½¿êÖ9dϲ§&#129; &#143;¯îhjDЦ¶ EY…ã}aØàˆÒ&#141;9C&#144;3Ê 

Have you ever get such a bug?

Do you know how to deal with it?

Thanks in advance for any type of answer.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New one on me and I've been around the block a few more times than I care to remember.

You give us nothing to go on. What version of RoboHelp? What type of help are you creating? Please see http://forums.adobe.com/thread/467760?tstart=0 and then post back with some information to get us started on helping you.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alright. Excuse me sir for this, and thank you for the quick answer.

I'm working with Robohelp HTML v9 and our user guide is generated as Primary layout (flash help).

These information also works for the other topic I created this morning:

Stack overflow at line: 1792 or 1788 when using the search function.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although the topics affected are random, does it always occur when you generate or is that random too?

When you finish generating there is a View button. Does the problem occur when viewed that way or is it only after you have published to a server?

Does it occur if you generate one of the sample projects? Click Open on the RoboHelp Starter page and then click Samples in the ribbon on the left.

Does the same topic display correctly when accessed other than through the search?

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although the topics affected are random, does it alway occur when you generate or is that random too?

I happens everytime I generate but what's random is that it never occurs on a same topic and in a same book.

When a topic is affected, I use svn to get an older version with the right characters and reintroduce it in RoboHelp.

And when I regenerate, this topic isn't necessarily affected but it occurs on other topics.

When you finish generating there is a View button. Does the problem occur when viewed that way or is it only after you have published to a server?

The problem occurs both on the view button and on the project published on a server.

Does it occur if you generate one of the sample projects? Click Open on the RoboHelp Starter page and then click Samples in the ribbon on the left.

When I click Open > Samples, I cannot find my project.

Does the same topic display correctly when accessed other than through the search?

The topic displays these strange characters even when I double-click on the .html version. I mean the problem also occurs when I opened the page with my web browser.

Hope I'm clear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this is a version control issue but before I move this post to that forum, it is important that you test with the samples as that will help confirm that.

Are you clicking the Samples icon in the ribbon on the left of the dialog? It automatically goes to the right location.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I just understood what you meant by that.

My project is located on a server so that everyone around the world in the company can access it and use it with the software.

So it wasn't displayed when I clicked Samples.

I copied/pasted it in the Samples location and generated the project from there and I still have my two issues, both the stack overflow and the strange characters issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, no, no - Peter's telling you to open one of the sample projects (not your project) to test with. The samples should be installed on your local workstation (not your server). Your project shouldn't be located on a server - only the checked in source files should be there - when you work on it, they get checked out to your local machine - RH doesn't like working on project files over a network.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, this is maybe where the issue comes from.

My project files are on my local machine and when I generate the project it goes on the server where evereybody can access it.

And I tried to generate a project from a sample and I dont have this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try generating the help output locally (in the project's \!SSL!\ folder) and then copying it to the server - see if that makes any difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That establishes that it is not your environment.

To get the output onto a server you must generate it locally. Then you can copy that to the server or you can use RoboHelp to publish it. Generating and publishing are separate steps.

Are you perhaps trying to generate direct to the server? If so, that could be the cause of this problem.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alright, thanks a lot to both of you.

I'll work like that from now on, generate locally and copy/paste my project to the server.

I'll come back if the problem occurs again in the future.

Thanks again! Now i need to find a solution for my stack overflow issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe doing that sooner rather than later will fix the other problem. Worth a try.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, it has not solved the other problem yet.

I don't understand why, but my colleague (we're two tech writers working on this user guide) doesn't get this stack overflow error.

I read on another thread that another RH HTML user had this error and one of your colleague wrote about a output/source trouble.

This might me the problem (just like the strange characters issue) but what could we do to fix it since we've been using output files for a while now?

I'm very sorry, I'm not doing that by the book, asking your this question on the "wrong" thread but some of our major customers are facing this stack overflow issue and we're out of options right now to fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please see the other thread (link above) for the Stack Overflow problem.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 25, 2012 Oct 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello guys,

I am coming back at you.

I've been generating my output files locally for a week, and I firstly thought that it fixed the problem. But actually, I still find corrupted files everyday.

I'm almost 100% sure that the problem comes from SVN. It always happens on files that I've just updated.

I know that I should try to contact the SVN support rather than you but I'm sure that you can guide me and give me some precious advices on this one

Do you have any ideas about something I should change in the files or in the RoboHelp settings or in SVN to fix my problem?

Thanks again to all of you for any further help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 31, 2012 Oct 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know how to help me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 31, 2012 Oct 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd first make sure that what you're committing to source control are the correct files - search the Source Control threads to see what files should be in source control & which ones shouldn't - there are definitely some files that shouldn't ever be in source control from what I've heard (I don't use it myself). Next I would make sure that SVN is working the way it should be - check with the SVN community & again search the threads on this forum for SVN hits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 11, 2013 Feb 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello guys,

I am coming back at you because my problems are back.

I've been following your advices for the last few month. I always generate my project locally but the strange characters are back.

This is how my output looks like in the app:

wrong_characters.PNG

This is how it looks in my internet browser:

carac chinois.PNG

What can you do to help me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no real idea of what is causing this other than the possible source control issue previously mentioned. Are your colleagues also working on the same project or another? If the same, I would have thought they would encounter the problem too.

Also have a look at Snippets on my site. There are a few things under source control. Perhaps you are checking in files that should not be checked in.

Have you tried taking a fresh copy of the project from source control?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't followed the whole thread up to now, so forgive if this has been covered already: Looks like a characterset issue. Have you tried viewing with different character sets in the browser to at least determined in what characterset the document is written.

Often I'm using notepad++ in such cases. It allows for generating different output like UTF-8 with or without BOM (Byte order mark).

--

Christoph

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Interesting thought. When you generate you can select the encoding but I would expect either all topics would work or all would fail. If the problem is somewhere in the topics, then it is unlikely to be random unless it is the checking in and out that is affecting things.

Certainly worth investigating. Good luck.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp