Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Remove ColdFusion Search functionality

LEGEND ,
May 31, 2012 May 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

G’day

I’m sure I’ve asked this before, but I cannot find the thread.  And I’m pretty sure I never got an answer.  Sorry for the repetition.

Is there any way of disabling CFB’s "ColdFusion Search" dialogue (the one one gest when pressing CTRL-F), and just use Eclipse’s default Find/Replace one?

Cheers.

--

Adam

TOPICS
Builder

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jun 04, 2012 Jun 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would also like to use the built in Eclipse Find Dialog (at least until all the kinks are worked out of the ColdFusion Search). There really needs to be a way to do this!!! Please CFB Team... give us a workaround so we can disable ColdFusion Search!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 25, 2012 Oct 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dammit.  My trial expired so - pleasingly - ColdFusion Search was disabled for me. Win!  However I've just rebuilt my machine and have a fresh CFB install on it, and so I'm back in "trial mode", so the ColdFusion Search is back again.

Has anyone yet found a way to disable this?

Or can I end my trial and just go to the free version of CFB with the functionality disabled?

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 25, 2012 Oct 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unortunately Adam, I haven't found a way to disable it, and I don't think there is. Adobe has never responded to my inquiries or has even acknowledged this as being a defect, which blows my mind. And it's weird that nobody else has raised this issue either. Do people do local searches in their files anymore?

I'm still using CFB 1, and waiting to give Adoble my money for CFB 2 with either 1) a way to disable CF Search, or 2) completely fix all the UI issues with CF Search, like saving the damn dialog position - that would be a huge improvement!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 06, 2012 Nov 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adam, any luck?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope 😞

I've even stooped to trying to find a way to force the trial version to expire so it reverts to CFB Express - which doesn't have the ColdFusion Search functionality - but one cannot do that either.

What a pain in the ar$e.

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got turned on to Sublime Text 2, which officially supports ColdFusion. This might be the answer! I got it running very quickly, setup my first project and I'm liking it! There's a few features missing, but the search works really well, and it has auto-suggest. I haven't found out if it links directly to a CF reference, but I can work around that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a couple useful Sublime Text 2 plugins for CF:

https://github.com/SublimeText/Open-Include - opens include files

https://github.com/DominicWatson/SublimeText2CfQuickDocsLauncher - launches CFQuickDocs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool plugins there, that I must have missed for sublime. Thanks for that.

I’ve just implemented the quickdocs to launch with F1, which sublime doesn’t seem otherwise to use, so that’s a nice improvement.

More on Sublime vs CFB in a subsequent note, to come.

/charlie

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to throw out an observation on CFB vs other editors/IDES. As I just noted in my last reply, I do use Sublime, too, and it’s indeed sweet. News of still more plugins that might bring it more features is also great.

But that open-include one is an example where people need to recognize that there’s an important difference in functionality that CFB adds that other editors simply may never do.

Note that the plug-in has a set of specific generic locations where it goes looking for included files, whereas CFBuilder (if configured correctly) will instead know to look at the paths KNOWN TO CF (just as CFML would at runtime). That means, for instance, that it can look at mappings defined in the CF Admin, or in the application.cfc mappings that’s controlling a given template. (And it’s able to find the application.cfc for that template, using the normal search order CF uses.)

CFB can (if configured to do so) also find CFCs (for code completion) that live anywhere in the many places where CF can and would find a CFC, at runtime.

It’s doubtful that any other editor will ever support those kind of features (which also includes an option to let you click on a CFC method and have it open the CFC in the IDE, placing the cursor at the specific method, or showing you the columns in a table as you’re building SQL, for those still building SQL within CFML, and so on.)

To do these things, the editor/IDE needs to talk to CF to get info, which it just can’t generally obtain from static analysis of the current file itself, which is generally all we can expect most editors to ever do.

That said, I’ll grant again that Sublime does some things really nicely, including many forms of code completion that have been a nice surprise. It just doesn’t do all those things above, and may not.

So while I do understand the angst many feel about the search feature in CFB (Adam’s main point in this thread), I just always want to point out (for those who would say “check out this other editor that does x so much better”) that there are indeed unique features to CFB which are simply not in any other editor.

The really sad thing is that many people never really come to appreciate what’s in CFB, and DO try to use it as nothing but an editor, and for that, it can feel bloated or not as snappy as a tool like sublime.

I’m just saying, be sure to carefully weigh all that you could get (or would give up) in switching among editors/IDEs. For more on some surprising features that CFB may add, see two talks I did, first Hidden Gems in CFB, and then Hidden Gems in CFB2, both available at www.carehart.org/presentations/.

Hope that’s helpful. (Please folks, I’m not looking to pick a fight. Just presenting a perspective on things that I don’t see shared often. There’s no need for those who are strongly against CFB to restate their grievances. Those are heard far more often. I just don’t see people make the points above much at all in such discussions about shortcomings of CFB and discussions of alternatives.)

/charlie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good observations Charlie. It's seems technically possible for plugins to pull data from the CF server by way of the admin api. Personally, I've never used mappings, so the Sublime include plugin works great for me, but I can see its limitations if you do use mappings. I just started using Sublime today, so I have no idea what problems I might find. But I will say that right off the bat, it works a heck of a lot better than CFB 1... it's a lot faster and uses a lot less memory. I've written off CFB 2 mainly because of the problems I have with CF Search, but I'm certainly interested in evaluating new versions.

Just out of curiousity, how do you deal with the CF Search dialog? Specifically, when you select text in the editor, and hit <ctl-F>, does the Search dialog re-center itself on top of your code? In my evaluations, the position of the Search dialog was never saved, and even when it was already open, it was re-positioned in the center of my editor. I would love to hear if there's a way around that behavior because I simply couldn't handle it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TBH, I’ve never really noticed or been bothered by the fact that the find dialogue opened centered on the page. Since I use keyboard shortcuts almost exclusively, I just hit escape and the dialogue goes out of the way.

But I can appreciate that those who may prefer to leave it on-screen and moved out of the way, would wish that it stayed where they told it to be put. I’d say file a bug report (https://bugbase.adobe.com/).

/charlie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

But I can appreciate that those who may prefer to leave it on-screen and moved out of the way, would wish that it stayed where they told it to be put. I’d say file a bug report (https://bugbase.adobe.com/).

Ir's one of these ones: http://www.sagarganatra.com/2011/03/coldfusion-builder-searchreplace-new.html#comment-691911642.  I forget which.

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation