• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

content categories drop down menu won't stay open

New Here ,
Oct 25, 2012 Oct 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm new to RoboHelp so bear with me: First, I don't see how to search FAQs short of Ctrl-F on current page. Second, with a RoboHelp HTML 10 Trial CD installation in a WebHelp generated layout the Content Categories drop down menu will not stay open to allow user to select second/non-default category.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Oct 26, 2012 Oct 26, 2012

Hello again Leslie

Just watched the video. Thanks

I'm wondering if this may be browser related. I notice you are using Microsoft Internet Explorer. But I can't tell which version. Although it looks pretty new. (Personally, I'm a Firefox user myself)

Do you have Firefox installed? If so, have you tried the output in Firefox? Note that I'm not encouraging you to switch, only wondering if you might try the output in Firefox to see if you get different behavior.

Also, I'm aware that things *SHOULD* oper

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Are you saying that when you click, it DOES reveal the categories but collapses immediately? Or are you saying you can't even click it to reveal the categories?

What version of RoboHelp please? (9 or 10)

And what output type? (WebHelp, AIR Help, HTML5)

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick:

WebHelp, RoboHelp 10 trail CD install

yes, I can see the categories but it collapses immediately

Thanks

Leslie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, also forgot to ask what browser you are using?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Internet Explorer, not sure  how to make it display in Chrome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

Okay, this one might be a bit tough to diagnose. So many questions and possibilities.

Short of actually having the project in my face to look at it first hand, I'm going to say it is probably best to just start a screen recording application and work your way through showing us your configuration settings for the Content Categories as well as viewing the output and showing us what happens. Like I've done in the video linked below:

Click here to view

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok, might be tomorrow, though, thanks so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 26, 2012 Oct 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See also the thread at http://forums.adobe.com/message/4801465 which may be linked.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, forgot to point you to some free apps you can use.

SCREENR

http://www.screenr.com

JING

http://www.techsmith.com/jing.html

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick: Please see attached Captivate video for the problem. Thanks for

your help!

Leslie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Leslie

Unfortunately it would appear you possibly replied via email and sent an attachment. That fails in the forums. What you will need to do is to upload the content somewhere then provide a link here in the forums for us to view it.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RIck:

See http://lesliecrenna.yolasite.com/forum.php

Quality is best I could do at the moment. It gets better after a moment.

Thanks again.

Leslie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again Leslie

Just watched the video. Thanks

I'm wondering if this may be browser related. I notice you are using Microsoft Internet Explorer. But I can't tell which version. Although it looks pretty new. (Personally, I'm a Firefox user myself)

Do you have Firefox installed? If so, have you tried the output in Firefox? Note that I'm not encouraging you to switch, only wondering if you might try the output in Firefox to see if you get different behavior.

Also, I'm aware that things *SHOULD* operate using the mouse, but another thing you might try would be to focus the drop-down using the mouse, then tap the down arrow key and see if you can select the second category that way.

As for things not being found in Search, that's the expected behavior. When you are using Content Categories, you are creating as many different WebHelp outputs as you have categories defined. So when you are in the East category where you have excluded West content, it's perfectly reasonable that you are not finding anything related to West when you search. Once you manage to get the drop-down to allow you to change to the West category, searching will probably fail for East related information (assuming you have a build expression and tag excluding East information).

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, and one other thing to try. When you examine the WebHelp SSL recipe, click the Navigation category and enable the option labeled "Add Mark of the Web". That will prevent your having to always "Allow blocked content" and ActiveX controls and whatnot.

tmp1.PNG

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick:

I'm not sure how to indicate a different browser. I use Chrome typically.

Explorer is coming up by default. Is there a setting in RoboHelp to change

this?

The down key worked to select the second category!

I will install Firefox and see how that goes.

So . . . I do need to include the CBTs as well as the different content

categories to keep them totally separate?

Thanks so much for an answer. Seems like a defect for Explorer if the mouse

works in Firefox. We'll find out.

Leslie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again Leslie

The issue here is that the browser landscape is in a constant state of flux. This is one reason for keeping up with recent versions of RoboHelp. The newer versions are programmed to create code the newer browsers understand. The flip side of that is that browsers such as Internet Explorer may release updates that suddenly break the code RoboHelp creates to present the WebHelp.

As for the browser that opens when you click View Result from RoboHelp, I stand to be corrected on this but I thought it was determined by whatever the default browser is for your operating system. My system default is Firefox and that's what opens for me when I click View Result after generating.

Indeed if you want separate content in each category, you will need to ensure each category has the proper build expression assigned as well as ensuring the desired content is properly tagged.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Made Chrome my default browser and the mouse works to select the content

categories. Thanks!

Leslie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just watched it too - the only thing I really noticed was the really long path to the generated help output - you may want to try using the "best practices" setting of c:\projects\[project_name]\ as your structure.

@Rick - I think she's using IE9 - trying other browsers may change things too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp